• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 limited s e series cavitation

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I made the jump from a 2009 232 limited to a 2016 242 limited s e series, and I'm looking for some feedback. I bought the 242 as a leftover for a pretty good price, but there are a few issues which I wouldn't expect with a new boat, especially since my 232 was such a great boat out of the box.

When accellerating I get a pretty strong cavitation/vibration until the boat comes up on plane. Is this the nature of the beast with the new hull and 1800 motors?

Also the 242 comes out of the hole a bit slower than the 232. Is that because the MR1's rev much higher than the 1800's. Granted the 242 is a bit heavier, but I'm curious if I'm loosing jump out of the hole because of a potential issue.

In general I'm happy with the boat size, motor sound, and steering, but a bit disappointed with some of typical issues folks have been posting (anchor locker, sound system). Not sure if it is worth double of what I paid for the 232 new, but the 2009 boats were a lot of boat for the money at the time.

At least the 232 went to a good home and is located at my dock still. The new owner is so happy with the boat which is great to see.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have very limited knowledge, only what I've read on this site...

I would pull the pumps and check the impeller for debris or damage. I've already pulled my pumps to clear a piece of wood and I only have 5 hours!

If that is a pain, I would at least reach into the plugs on the swim platform to see if I feel something obstructing water flow.

Where in NY? If you are near me I wouldn't mind helping.

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't pulled the pumps yet since it only has 3 hours on it, but I have checked for debris and came up empty. Usually with debris you get a continued cavitation throughout the acceleration and on plane.

I'm an hour north of Albany, pretty good distance from Rochester.

This site is a great resource

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
with the issues we are having on the southern shore of lake ontario there is a lot of debris around here. I would say within less than an hour of putting the boat in for the first time I could tell that I inhaled something. From that point until my 5th hour (about 4 hours) it was intermittently noticeable, but I knew it was there. I loaded the boat on the trailer and removed the impeller and sure enough, bark stuck on one of the blades, I couldn't feel it from the ports while on the water.

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good point. I'll pull the impellers this weekend.

I had sucked debris into my old boat a few times, but always got lucky by removing it by either the reverse throttle trick or pulling it out from the top.

So are you saying you get a smooth acceleration with you X?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do get smooth acceleration now, yes. I'm not saying that is your problem but it was my problem. If the boat is in your driveway and you have some time it isn't a difficult task, maybe even a bit enjoyable the first time :)

Maybe someone else can chime in with an opinion.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reverse gates in water flow? Just a thought. Maybe that can't happen on newer models.

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure if this model can do the reverse gate flow trick.

Yeah, I've pulled the impellers on my prior boat. Your right it is actually enjoyable, and quite simple. That's the great part about these boats, they are pretty easy to work on.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think @scokill was referring to a "drooping" reverse gate. One way to check would be to have someone operate the throttles while you watch from behind the boat.

--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Usually cavitation in a new boat is caused by something small in the impeller, say fishing line or some plastic bag part that you may not see. Or a issue with a clean out plug not being seated correctly, or a bad seal around the intake grate And it is probably just one engine causing the issue. so look at those things first

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good to know. I'll go through it this weekend.

Don R

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have the same boat, I do not have those type of performance issues, boat is solid, it's under warranty you should call the dealer to see what the issue is our if they can help you

BTW, the sounds system is horrid I agree, other then that I love the boat

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do not get this, I never posted any emoji response to don r 's post so I am asking the admin to see what is going on and who is using my name to post things. I just now looked at the above post and looked to see who hit the envious emoji, to my surprise it listed my name causing me to wonder what the hell happened!
I want to thank Bruce for checking this situation out immediately and making sure that there was no issue with my account .
Not being a computer person I was really concerned.
So Bruce looked into it immediately & closely , he is convinced it was some glitch probably on my end and no one has been in my account. I did remove it just to see if I could and yes it went back to emoji heaven.

Last edited: