• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242 questions. Upgrading from 2012

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I might be pulling the trigger on a new 242 this week. Debating between the black SE and the red X. Here are the questions I have:

1- Are the new mats carpet or more like seadek? Are they ok to get wet and put the boat away wet or do I need to pull them out every time after use? I put seadek in my 2012 and love it. If I cant put this away wet I will need to install seadek before it hits the marina which is another added expense.

2- I installed a side switch panel for my transom light, interior led cup holders, and speaker rings. Does the new connex have any additional connections for after market products? Or will I need to install another switch panel?

3- How is the stock sound system of the 242 SE? Is the X a lot better or just louder? My 2012 is stock with no amp or sub so I'm thinking the 242 SE will be enough of an improvement.

4- do the new clean out plugs need anything or are they finally improved? Cobra easy locks?

Thanks for the help! I'm excited but my current boat is mint with everything done. I'm upgrading partly because of the timing chain issue which I just learned about and I'm happy with the trade in price my dealer is offering.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I might be pulling the trigger on a new 242 this week. Debating between the black SE and the red X. Here are the questions I have:

1- Are the new mats carpet or more like seadek? Are they ok to get wet and put the boat away wet or do I need to pull them out every time after use? I put seadek in my 2012 and love it. If I cant put this away wet I will need to install seadek before it hits the marina which is another added expense.

2- I installed a side switch panel for my transom light, interior led cup holders, and speaker rings. Does the new connex have any additional connections for after market products? Or will I need to install another switch panel?

3- How is the stock sound system of the 242 SE? Is the X a lot better or just louder? My 2012 is stock with no amp or sub so I'm thinking the 242 SE will be enough of an improvement.

Thanks for the help! I'm excited but my current boat is mint with everything done. I'm upgrading partly because of the timing chain issue which I just learned about and I'm happy with the trade in price my dealer is offering.
1. It’s Snap in seadeck on the ‘19 242X. But, I think the SE has a different material still (or maybe that was the 275). I left mine in all season then took it out at the end of the season and had some scrubbing to do.

2. Connex has one open button for an Aux item. I would probably install a separate switch panel. You don’t want to mess w Connex too much.

3. SE doesn’t have tower speakers, sound bar or sub does it? I don’t remember. I’m very happy with the sound system on the X, though it could use a tad more bass.

The Eseries throttles are awesome and so is the bimini. Good luck!!

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. So no issues getting this seadek mat wet and at the end of the day throwing the cover on? No mildew smell?

The SE has has one amp and a sub. The X has all the same except two amps, soundbar, and the two tower speakers.

Are the newer clean out plus improved? Do they still need after market locks?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you. So no issues getting this seadek mat wet and at the end of the day throwing the cover on? No mildew smell?

The SE has has one amp and a sub. The X has all the same except two amps, soundbar, and the two tower speakers.

Are the newer clean out plus improved? Do they still need after market locks?
I have not had any mildew smell, though I do think a couple got stained a bit. (I’ve only had it one season so far) It’s a bit frustrating to say... but you’d probably be happier with permanent seadeck. I had it in my last boat and preferred that. But, I’m not going to change it out anytime soon.

Newer cleanouts do not need locks. It’s a whole new design with a twist lock. Assuming they get twisted in well, they won’t come out. That said, my wife was cleaning a twig out once last year and didn’t get it twisted on... plug shot up and busted the latch on the hatch. Total user error - it was her first or second time locking it in. I should have double checked, but it was pouring rain and we were scrambling.

edit: I trailer 100% and store outdoors at the house during the season. Usually cover every night when we’re done unless we are planning to go out first thing in the morning.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for your input. My 2012 had berber carpet that I hated. If it got wet it smelled like mildew if put away wet. I love my seadek.

Good to know about the clean out ports.