• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242x, I have a new detached garage, going to raise the header and park inside

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even being as big as it is, it is still full. They always say you never build them big enough and I am starting to believe that.
I completely agree with that! I have a 4800 sq. ft. shop for all my work vehicles, equipment, boat, and rv and I don’t think it would be big enough if it was twice the size that it is. To have the space you have at your home is awesome!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
work starts next month.
Here’s the before pics. Door opening currently at 9’.
I’m mounting a roll up door in the ceiling above the garage door. The new opening height will be 10’9”. There will be no clearance issues with the garage door because I’m having it mounted in the attic. Should be pretty slick. Pics to follow.

Attachments

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What was the end result? Considering a similar change for my detached garage/apartment. Doors are currently 8' openings but have 11' of clearance for the garage ceiling. The only thing that might cause an issue with my plan is that there is a balcony that comes off the front of the garage and the ledger connects to that header.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a licensed general contractor who recently remodeled my garage to fit my AR240. There are several factors to consider here that make it a bit less simple than just raising your door header up. Because most garage walls are mostly door with very little wall on each side most garage door openings are built with “portal frame details” to comply with building codes for shear strength. If you are unfamiliar I would highly recommend researching the code for the local version and criteria in your area. Codes vary year by year and also vary by local design criteria such as seismic zones, local wind speeds, etc. If you have a second floor above your garage this will add additional loads to those narrow walls on each side of your door that may change design criteria. Your local community development office/building safety office can provide you with design criteria you need to consider.