• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

242X with stock ballast system working and transom fatsac and Wake booster and still can’t get adults ropeless. And the boat sounds struggling

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Need help here people as the kids are ropeless easily with stock ballast and wake booster but I can’t get an adult ropeless. I weight 215 but seems like I should be able to do this. It wasn’t even close. I had the big custom fatsac bag on and the wake booster for myself and a friend who weighs 150 ish. Stock ballast is 1,400 the extra bag is 800 ish and the 4 adults and 3 kids 900 so we are over 3,000 pounds and boat says on sticker plate 12 people or 2,400 pounds ish. Our boat sounds like it’s struggling and engines really loud and it struggled hard to get to 11mph unless everyone is in front of boat. But we got it close to 11 but my friend at 150 pounds and myself couldn’t get ropeless. Sucks I really wanted this to work but nothing is getting it done. Seems like we have tons of ballast and tons of body weight (maybe to much?) not sure what the problem is. I realize it’s not a surf boat like a dedicated surf boat but was really hoping to get my friend and I ropeless. The moms could care less they like to ride the wave with the rope but I really want to try this and see if I can make it work. Also seems like it lists so much one jet comes in and out of the water especially when hitting waves from other boats. Really sounds like it’s struggling and especially when coming in and out of the water like that. Thoughts? Help? Thanks!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a photo of your wake?

A jet out of the water certainly sounds wrong. I have only (tried) to surf once, but we did not have any jet out of the water. I can't imagine that would be good for the wake... Where are you putting the extra bag?

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2016 240 that I run the wakebooster and swim deck Fatsac. My kids (18 year olds, weights ranging up to around 175lbs) can go ropeless, but I'm not quite there yet (I'm 200 lbs). I've had times where my boat also struggles past 11 mph unless I put people in front. I've never used more ballast (additional Fatsacs, etc). Obviously no internal ballast on mine...

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s a video of my buddy who weighs 150 and was close but not ropeless and as you can hear the engines sound like they are screaming.

edit: Can’t get the video to upload. Here’s a picture he was only ropeless for about 5 seconds, he lost it right after this.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oops. Video no workie...

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Added a pic above video didn’t work

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m no expert but your wake looks really long and narrow, like he’s too far back from the boat. Maybe too much weight up front?

We were getting ropeless behind my 212 with no ballast and only 3 people this weekend. Crappy wake but it worked ok-ish.

824F6218-AAC6-4FA4-9DAA-A47C76B2FB6C.jpeg

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Try less weight in the front and slow down to maybe 10.5. You may have to shorten the wave making it taller for your heavier riders. I weigh 220 and went rope less on our 242xe with less weight than what you are using so it's possible. Keep playing with it.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have a 212x so not quite the same but I have had my brother in law who is close to 240 surf ropeless for several minutes on the coaster and wake booster. In your picture it looks like your friend is a bit heavy on his back foot. Even with a forward lean with a heavy back foot you won’t be able to “slide” down the face. 11+ mph is about about where my wave starts to fall apart. High 9 is where it starts getting decent and in the 10 mph range is where it is good.
Sounds like you are listing to much as well. Yamaha wakebooster, Back surf side corner step JUST barely above the water about 600lbs placed middle to surf side on transom seats, both ballast tank bags about 3/4+ full and then passengers evenly sitting through our produces our best wave. Took me about 8 long sessions to start getting it dialed in.
hope that helps.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Going rope-less is more then just a ballast configuration on the boat. It is rider skill, what type of board they are on, water condition...etc. Keep at it, it will come eventually. FYI here is a video of the exact same boat with the exact same weight. Only difference Wake Wedge!!!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is about the best wave I can get but the boat is running so hard sounds like it’s screaming. That’s with me and a kid 100 pounds on board and him driving and me sitting in front of boat to get it to 10mph as it wouldn’t go higher than 9 with me driving. Wake booster on. Back fatsac big bag completed full and port side stock bag full and middle locker full and none in non surf side bag. Still does not look surfable for an adult?

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is about the best wave I can get but the boat is running so hard sounds like it’s screaming. That’s with me and a kid 100 pounds on board and him driving and me sitting in front of boat to get it to 10mph as it wouldn’t go higher than 9 with me driving. Wake booster on. Back fatsac big bag completed full and port side stock bag full and middle locker full and none in non surf side bag. Still does not look surfable for an adult?
So you may have some underlying issues. Have you checked your impellers? Are they wore? Even if they don't look wore they still may be. I changed out to 19ft impellers ( 6CW) and they made a world of difference. My impellers were wore out after 2 years. Also are you pump tunnels smooth? Missing any sealant? They need to be very smooth or you will introduce cavitation. Do your cleanout plugs hold water? If not then you may have an air leak and this will also introduce cavitation. Just some other things to look at.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also to answer your other question, Yes I could surf that wave.

RPM my boat is running about 6900, so almost full throttle.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So you may have some underlying issues. Have you checked your impellers? Are they wore? Even if they don't look wore they still may be. I changed out to 19ft impellers ( 6CW) and they made a world of difference. My impellers were wore out after 2 years. Also are you pump tunnels smooth? Missing any sealant? They need to be very smooth or you will introduce cavitation. Do your cleanout plugs hold water? If not then you may have an air leak and this will also introduce cavitation. Just some other things to look at.
Definitely a little cavitation right side even sounds rough a little when flushing and I think you may be onto something.

Last edited:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If I do have slight cavitation and I’m doing all this with the bags is it going do damage the boat in any way further? Should I just abandon ropeless surfing with adults until new impellers? It’s crazy how easy the 3 kids are ropeless. One is without booster or any ballast just me sitting on rear platform. Other 2 can easily with just center stock bag full and booster and me sitting back there. Not even needing rear stock bags.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check the things that you can control, tunnel sealed properly, make sure your plugs are seated good and then go see if it gets any better. Trust your instincts and do what you feel is best for you.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I had done regular surfing in almost a decade and decided I could wake surf. I have decent balance, the coaster (a bigger easy board), the booster and lots of options for setting up ballast.
It still took me and my amazing wife patiently working and learning for about half a season before I was able to stay ropeless for more than a few seconds.
Like JC said, fix the things you can control and then just keep working at it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull the pumps. Do a quick search on here--there is a video and it is easy to do. Intimidating the first time, then you go, 'oh, what was the big deal?' That will let you see the impellers and the intakes very well, seal up anything that needs sealing.

You may even find a little hunk of rope or fishing line spun around the shaft (ask me how I know)...

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Would you mind sending me a link to exact impellers I should get like yours for 2018 242X? Much appreciated in advance. Prolly try to do this myself this winter. What makes 19ft impellers work better than 24ft ones?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length