• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SD & surfing

nosterka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Hey guys, anyone have some experience surfing behind the 252SD? I am considering getting a board but don’t want to waste the money if it’s not worth it. I am just a beginner so just really looking to learn, will probably have a ski and wakeboard as well, which I am sure the boat will be fine for. Should I consider ballast? Fatsac? Or will the wake be good enough to learn and develop skills for now?

thanks for any help

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You should be able to surf fine with a short wakesurf rope as long as you have a high tow point. If you want to go ropeless you will need lots of ballast and a wake shaper like a wake booster or gantlin wake wedge.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hey guys, anyone have some experience surfing behind the 252SD? I am considering getting a board but don’t want to waste the money if it’s not worth it. I am just a beginner so just really looking to learn, will probably have a ski and wakeboard as well, which I am sure the boat will be fine for. Should I consider ballast? Fatsac? Or will the wake be good enough to learn and develop skills for now?

thanks for any help
Due to the nature of "surf" boards, you can surf any boat without ballast if you don't mind hanging on to the rope. However to go ropeless, you need to produce a good wave. This means 1) lots of displacement (weight), 2) good speed control, 3) a wave shaper, and 4) deep water.

nosterka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the info guys. We will just be learning so I’m sure we will have some time until we go rope less. Does Yamaha make a wake booster that fits the hull with the in water seats? I’m sure there are other options will have to just check them all out as we progress. Thanks again

Hurly23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the info guys. We will just be learning so I’m sure we will have some time until we go rope less. Does Yamaha make a wake booster that fits the hull with the in water seats? I’m sure there are other options will have to just check them all out as we progress. Thanks again
Yamaha has a Wakebooster they now claim is for the 24" & 25' models, but it is the same as the 24' model version which doesnt fit correctly on the 25' models with the water seat brackets. (I know because i have that Wakebooster and the water seat brackets) The Wakebooster can be installed with the water seat brackets, but it doesn't fit properly.

I just received my Fatsac for the Transom, so I will test that with the wakebooster and report back with results by next week.

There are other options being worked on by @JetBoatPilot with the Jetwash Deflector which sounds like its almost ready for shipment according to the website (JetWash Deflector - Twin Engine Surf Wave Enhancer).

Jerry from Gantlin @jcyamaharider said he is working on a Wakewedge, but havent seen a timeline for it. (Wake Wedge for Yamaha Jet Boats)

Hope this helps.

Dustin

nosterka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Yamaha has a Wakebooster they now claim is for the 24" & 25' models, but it is the same as the 24' model version which doesnt fit correctly on the 25' models with the water seat brackets. (I know because i have that Wakebooster and the water seat brackets) The Wakebooster can be installed with the water seat brackets, but it doesn't fit properly.

I just received my Fatsac for the Transom, so I will test that with the wakebooster and report back with results by next week.

There are other options being worked on by @JetBoatPilot with the Jetwash Deflector which sounds like its almost ready for shipment according to the website (JetWash Deflector - Twin Engine Surf Wave Enhancer).

Jerry from Gantlin @jcyamaharider said he is working on a Wakewedge, but havent seen a timeline for it. (Wake Wedge for Yamaha Jet Boats)

Hope this helps.

Dustin
Thanks for the info, interested in hearing how that setup works for you. What fatsac did you go with? Was looking at those too.

Hurly23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, interested in hearing how that setup works for you. What fatsac did you go with? Was looking at those too.
I went with the 25’ transom fatsac that they just made. Its 850#s. Guessing i will need more weight in the center/front, but im gonna take it one step at a time to see the effects of each.

nosterka

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I was considering the gantling/fatsac made for the 25 ft series, but plan to do it one step at a time as well. Looking forward to your experience with them.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I went with the 25’ transom fatsac that they just made. Its 850#s. Guessing i will need more weight in the center/front, but im gonna take it one step at a time to see the effects of each.
Def will need some weight in the bow. I run about 300-350 up front. The 25ft bag is a monster.

Hurly23

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So here was my first attempt at wake surfing, and our first time using the wakebooster/850# fatsac on the transom together. I realize I am way too far out of the wave in the picture, but this was the only decent pic I got of the wave.

The second day we did the same setup, but the wave was not cooperating very nicely like the first day. We also got a check stbd engine light after we filled the bag and went to start the engine. Need to figure out how to do the diagnostics since dealer cant get me in for 3+ weeks to read a code.

I have 2 more 750lb ski locker bags on the way, and I will mess around with them this week and post more pics, and possibly a youtube video.

IMG_2303.jpeg