• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SD thoughts

Bayou boater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Spent all day on the water this past weekend with our new boat. Wanted to share thoughts on the boat.

I should first note that this is our first jet boat and our prior boat was a 16 foot outboard so a lot of my comments need to be taken in that context.

Performance: The boat generally ran at about 32 mph with a full tank and two adults at 6000 RPM. WOT we hit 45 miles an hour several different times but never higher. Conditions were moderately choppy due to a consistent 13 mile an hour breeze. Temperature was in the upper 70s with somewhat moderate humidity. I was able to hit 45 miles an hour without a tail wind. This happened in the smoothest water we found.

General ride: While I cannot compare it to the prior years version I believe the extra weight has affected both the top end speed as well as giving it a more stable ride. I was exceptionally pleased with how the boat handled going into some fairly good chop in Pensacola Bay just east of the pass to the Gulf. Specifically at one point in time we turned directly into a stronger wind and plowed through white caps at 20 miles an hour. Never would’ve been out in my prior boat in such conditions. In general, the boat was very comfortable to drive around 30 miles an hour, even in breezy, somewhat choppy conditions.

Handling: my research on this forum led me to have Cobra jet steering installed before my maiden voyage. Having said that I was extremely pleased with how the boat handled. Did not have any issues with transitioning from a smaller outboard to the jet boat. A couple of features that I wanted to call out were the drive system which enabled me to back my boat into my slip shown in my profile on the first time without touching any part of a dock with no assistance. Also found the cruise no wake feature to be highly beneficial.

Connex screen: easy to use with lots of great features. My favorite is the navigation which clearly illustrates changes in depth well before you come across it. Given that Pensacola Bay is our primary boating area we can have substantial depth changes in places you would not expect the system is very helpful.

Noise: while the jet boat is louder than my prior boat, I thought the noise was actually pretty cool. Didn’t believe it was too problematic as there was no point in time where my wife and I cannot communicate with each other regardless of speed. I know this depends on your individual preference but I don’t see the noise as an issue at all.

All in all, we are absolutely thrilled with the boat and are very happy owners!

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Nice upgrade! Congrats

DonnyC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Great review. Congrats on the new boat!

ComingInHot

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
New version TVs (BETA versions) installed, will update on how well it works w/ Drive system. Also ADA pissers installed.
Seoul76 - Where did you get the "ADA Pissers"? I wasn't aware of these, but I really like the look.

Seoul76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
ADA racing...u can google, make sure to get the right size. There is a video on youtube from a yamaha guy, dont knw where it is but i got the sizes he got and they fit. You just have to bore out the hole on the hull a tiny bit. I used a dremel tool