• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SE Engine Won't Turn Over

ComingInHot

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
After floating on the lake for a few hours my batteries were too weak to start either of the engines. When I was trying to start the starboard engine it was barely turning over and made a "popping" sound a couple of times. I ended up having a friend try to jump start me. I was able to start the port engine without an issue, The starboard engine wouldn't do any thing when I pushed the start button. It woudn't even turn over, more or less try to start. With just the port engine running, I was not able to increase the rpm's so that I could drive with just the one engine. It idled fine, but wouldn't move the boat. I ended up having to be towed in.

Does anyone know if there is something I need to reset so that I can turn over and hopefully start the starboard engine?

Is there something that I needed to do so that I could drive with only one engine running?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Sowie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Check fuses on back wall of engine compartment. I had similar problem and it ended up being the starter solenoid.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I recently had the same issue on my 2021 255X and it was indeed the Solenoid (thankfully not the starter). you can test that by connecting the 2 terminals after you remove the Solenoid using a screw driver. Make sure to get the blower going first to ensure there’re no fuel fumes in the engine bay since this operation will result in a spark.

If the engine starts right up, it’s the Selonoid (you won’t need to start the boat)

I bough a replacement from Amazon for $18 which arrived the next day and I put it back in minutes (link attached)

In the process, I noticed that the stock Solenoid was missing the fuses. (Photos attached show the stock and replacement Selonoid). I kept the fuses on the replacement

I also bought a spare to keep on board just in case.

good luck! Hopefully it’s just the Selonoid

DB Electrical 240-54043 Starter Relay Solenoid Compatible With/Replacement For KTM Motorcycle 690 950 990 / Suzuki Motorcycle GSX600F Katana GSX750F Katana, SV650, TL1000R, VL1500, VL800 VZ800 https://a.co/d/gFhVp1q

DB Electrical 240-54043 Starter Relay Solenoid Compatible With/Replacement For KTM Motorcycle 690 950 990 / Suzuki Motorcycle GSX600F Katana GSX750F Katana, SV650, TL1000R, VL1500, VL800 VZ800 https://a.co/d/gFhVp1q

Attachments