• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SE Engine Won't Turn Over

ComingInHot

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I posted this in the Yamaha 250 Series forum and haven't received any feedback. Reposting in the General Forum hoping more members will see it.

After floating on the lake for a few hours my batteries were too weak to start either of the engines. When I was trying to start the starboard engine it was barely turning over and made a "popping" sound a couple of times. I ended up having a friend try to jump start me. I was able to start the port engine without an issue, The starboard engine wouldn't do any thing when I pushed the start button. It woudn't even turn over, more or less try to start. With just the port engine running, I was not able to increase the rpm's so that I could drive with just the one engine. It idled fine, but wouldn't move the boat. I ended up having to be towed in.

Does anyone know if there is something I need to reset so that I can turn over and hopefully start the starboard engine?

Is there something that I needed to do so that I could drive with only one engine running?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I posted this in the Yamaha 250 Series forum and haven't received any feedback. Reposting in the General Forum hoping more members will see it.

After floating on the lake for a few hours my batteries were too weak to start either of the engines. When I was trying to start the starboard engine it was barely turning over and made a "popping" sound a couple of times. I ended up having a friend try to jump start me. I was able to start the port engine without an issue, The starboard engine wouldn't do any thing when I pushed the start button. It woudn't even turn over, more or less try to start. With just the port engine running, I was not able to increase the rpm's so that I could drive with just the one engine. It idled fine, but wouldn't move the boat. I ended up having to be towed in.

Does anyone know if there is something I need to reset so that I can turn over and hopefully start the starboard engine?

Is there something that I needed to do so that I could drive with only one engine running?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
I think I replied to this on FB as well…

but, how come you don’t have a 2 battery setup or did you have the parallel turned on and drained both?

you should definitely be able to idle on one engine as long as you keep it under 5mph to get back to the dock

I think I replied to this on FB as well…

but, how come you don’t have a 2 battery setup or did you have the parallel turned on and drained both?

you should definitely be able to idle on one engine as long as you keep it under 5mph to get back to the dock

Thank you for your replyhere and on Facebook.

I'm not sure how/who turned on the battery parallel switch, so it did end up draining both batteries. So I will definitely pay better attention to that in the future. Lesson learned.

My problem now is that my starboard engine will not turn over when I try to start it. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it to respond to pressing the start button? Is there a reset in Connext that I can do?

I am also looking for input on why I wasn't able to drive the boat with one engine. With one engine running, I wasn't able to increase the RPM past idle.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your replyhere and on Facebook.

I'm not sure how/who turned on the battery parallel switch, so it did end up draining both batteries. So I will definitely pay better attention to that in the future. Lesson learned.

My problem now is that my starboard engine will not turn over when I try to start it. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it to respond to pressing the start button? Is there a reset in Connext that I can do?

I am also looking for input on why I wasn't able to drive the boat with one engine. With one engine running, I wasn't able to increase the RPM past idle.

Thanks again.
Regarding the RPM issue, I can’t say for sure. I have a 2020 242SE and I know that I definitely can run on a single engine. It’s something I’ve always wondered why they haven’t added protections to run above no wake on a single engine if it has potential to do damage. It would be easy enough to detect…I’m wondering if this is something new?

so when you put it in drive, did you see it shift from N to F or was it just unresponsive?

have you had a chance to charge the batteries up and try starting?Also try reseating the kill switch. It only has a single connection on the boat side but underneath there are 2 independent switches I believe, so possibly one isn’t set properly. Also it’s possible with the low voltage that everything did not turn on properly. When you press the start button, do you hear any clicks from the engine compartment?

Regarding the RPM issue, I can’t say for sure. I have a 2020 242SE and I know that I definitely can run on a single engine. It’s something I’ve always wondered why they haven’t added protections to run above no wake on a single engine if it has potential to do damage. It would be easy enough to detect…I’m wondering if this is something new?

so when you put it in drive, did you see it shift from N to F or was it just unresponsive?

have you had a chance to charge the batteries up and try starting?Also try reseating the kill switch. It only has a single connection on the boat side but underneath there are 2 independent switches I believe, so possibly one isn’t set properly. Also it’s possible with the low voltage that everything did not turn on properly. When you press the start button, do you hear any clicks from the engine compartment?

When I put it in drive it did shift from N to F, but was completely unresponsive to increasing the throttle. I didn't try using the no wake mode button to increase the rpm. I'll experiment with it when I get back on the water. It might be a new safety feature so you don't flood the motor that isn't running. We were careful to tow under 5 mph.

I'm in the process of charging both batteries. I'm hoping that the system reboots self and is happy with fully charged batteries. It doesn't click like the starter isn't getting enough juice, it is completely unresponsive. I'll look underneath for the independent switches and see if one of them isn't set properly.

Thanks again for the input.

I'd suggest start checking fuses.

Back