• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 Fuel Economy

NewGuy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well I‘m back to doing the hard research and am struggling between a 255XE and 252XE and yes, I’ve seen boattest results. Question is for 255 owners, how bad is the fuel economy? We really don’t run at long high speed too often, but have found ourselves doing a ton of surfing and wakeboarding. Kids can surf fine on our AR250 with just a single fatsac, but I’m tired of rigging that thing up along with the wakebooster and then taking it all down depending on what the day brings. Lemme know and thank you!

Fuel economy shouldn’t even be a thought here.

What’s your real concern? If you want a more dedicated wake boat then buy it.

Fuel economy shouldn’t even be a thought here.

What’s your real concern? If you want a more dedicated wake boat then buy it.
Well if it really goes through fuel like sh1$ through a goose, that’s an expensive hassle too. I personally don’t want to be tethered to a gas dock, so yeah, it’s a valid thought.

Well if it really goes through fuel like sh1$ through a goose, that’s an expensive hassle too. I personally don’t want to be tethered to a gas dock, so yeah, it’s a valid thought.

My single 1.8 SVHO runs about 1.8mpg, about the same as my twin 1.8s on my 252. I’d guess it’s around the same. boat Test should have all the data though.

I don't really pay attention to actual numbers but I can tell you on an average day some cruising, some surfing, some tubing. On the 242xe we burned a half a tank. So 25 gallons roughly. On the 255xe we burn about half a tank. Usually a little less but lets call it 35 gallons. Premium! When prices were high this summer I was putting about $250 every time we went out. And that's filling up at the gas station not the marina. Still glad we got the 255 though. It's a nice boat.
Hope that helps

It's a boat. It goes through gas at an insane rate. If it didn't guzzle gas, it'd be a car or bike.

I don't really pay attention to actual numbers but I can tell you on an average day some cruising, some surfing, some tubing. On the 242xe we burned a half a tank. So 25 gallons roughly. On the 255xe we burn about half a tank. Usually a little less but lets call it 35 gallons. Premium! When prices were high this summer I was putting about $250 every time we went out. And that's filling up at the gas station not the marina. Still glad we got the 255 though. It's a nice boat.
Hope that helps
That’s very helpful; so thank you. I’ve actually been very happy with the AR250 (it really seems to be efficient on even a day full of surfing and wakeboarding). Just didn’t want to regret the SVHOs. Premium is already a PIA since none of the marinas near me sell it - looking into Boostane and the like.

Well I‘m back to doing the hard research and am struggling between a 255XE and 252XE
If fuel costs are a concern, get the 252 with regular 1.8l engines. They consume less fuel (30-50% depending on usage) and they use regular 87 at the pumps.

i haven't been in a yammie with the svho motors..
@Jim Davis, since you've had both, is there much of a noise level difference?

My single 1.8 SVHO runs about 1.8mpg, about the same as my twin 1.8s on my 252. I’d guess it’s around the same. boat Test should have all the data though.
You must run your SVHO at higher speeds for longer durations than we do. Last time I checked we were getting 2.3MPH in our 21 195s.

my LS2000/AR210 160 MR-1's runs about 2.4 MPG at 30 MPH low cruise with the wrong jet pumps of which one is junk..

You must run your SVHO at higher speeds for longer durations than we do. Last time I checked we were getting 2.3MPH in our 21 195s.

It's a rental.... who knows what they do lol. Also it runs in the Gulf, which can be a bit more difficult than a lake.

It's a rental.... who knows what they do lol. Also it runs in the Gulf, which can be a bit more difficult than a lake.
nothing parties like a rental...

i haven't been in a yammie with the svho motors..
@Jim Davis, since you've had both, is there much of a noise level difference?

If anything the 2021 255 is a little less noise. I think they did better with the insulation. But its close to the same in my opinion.

I'm probably overanalyzing everything at this point. Now just deciding if I want to buy now or wait. May put the AR250 up for sale and then just go shop at the same time. Who the heck knows what the spring will bring. Could be status quo and struggling to find a replacement or everything down 20 pct. My guess is it will be a lot slower for dealers this year, but they'll try to hold onto pricing as long as possible.

Well you have some decision to make , I had a AR250 now I have a 252S. Love the boat . It comes down to the more you push down on the throttle the more gas your going to use ,,,, Good luck. Boating is a hole new life style just enjoy with family and friends…

Back