• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255XD vs. 255XE vs. 252XE

BrentH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have a 255XD on order but are concerned about production delays. We are revisiting 255XD vs. 255XE vs. 252XE based on availability of new and used versions of each model.

(1) for the 255XD owners...are you using the Drive system and your paddles, or is the boat handling fine without them? Hypothetically we opted for the XD because my co-captain could use a little...assistance...around the dock and on / off a trailer. Interested in feedback on usefulness of XD - "can't live without it" vs. "kind of forget about it, rarely use it."

(2) for the 255XE owners...how important are the integrated wakeboard features. Assume we might use a wake setup maybe...1/3 of our excursions. The balance we are water skiing or using inflatables or cruising around. Are you having to enhance your wake with ballast bags and other attachments anyway, or are you really pushing buttons and voila! Great wake. If you've had a 242X or a more manual wake setup in the past and can compare your experience then vs. with a 255XE...that would be helpful.

(3) for the 252XE owners...now that you have it, do you wish you had the 255XE or XD or happy with what you have?

Any insight on the pros / cons of these three is appreciated. Looking to make a decision ASAP. Thanks.

Tony Prwivo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Good evening sorry it took so long to get back to you I work shiftwork. My personal opinion on the 255XD it really is an amazing boat we don’t really use or see ourselves using any of the surfing ballasts we bought the boat mostly for the color combination and the supercharged engines. We are definitely going to use it to tube and possibly wake board. To answer your question above my wife was the one that wanted the paddle shifter option on the boat for docking in low speed maneuverability. I can honestly say it makes docking and maneuvering super super easy having both hands on the wheel and controlling the forward and reverse throttles makes the boat super easy to maneuver. I did install the trust vectors as well just as a little extra help. We ordered our boat in September 2020 and didn’t receive it until June 2021. It definitely was worth waiting for in my opinion. I hope this helps.

BrentH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you that's very helpful.

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
We are loving the 255XE. Never used the paddles so don't know what i'm missing but it seems to handle fine if you don't mind one hand on the throttles and one on the wheel. Wife only drives the boat out on the water at the dock she backs the trailer down and has gotten really good at it. She really does not like driving the boat in tight places but not sure the paddles would solve that.
For wake boarding yes it's a simple push of the button for a decent wake. For wake surfing you will want some weight either in ballast or people.
We had a 242xe and loved it as well. It is definitely nice to push a button and deploy the wake booster but you only need that for surfing.
Love the supercharged motors. Hope this helps and have fun!

WaTeRMaNiaC407

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I have the 212XD and use the paddles all the time. I didn't buy the boat for that feature, but now I wouldn't want to give it up.

BrentH

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have the 212XD and use the paddles all the time. I didn't buy the boat for that feature, but now I wouldn't want to give it up.
Thank you - that's good to know.

typhoon

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
(3) for the 252XE owners...now that you have it, do you wish you had the 255XE or XD or happy with what you have?
The only thing I miss from the other boats is the larger bimini top. We cruise up and down the crowded intracoaster, so I have no real need for the supercharged engines. Other than that, I am more than happy with my boat.