• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

$30,000 SX190 2015... How much am I overpaying?

Zyglett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all,

First time posting. Been looking at boats for awhile now and have pretty much decided on a yamaha jet boat. Have read a lot of great things and it seems best for me. Naturally I want to have one for this summer, and I'm a little late in the season for purchasing, so I acknowledge I'm going to be paying a premium. I currently have a refundable deposit down on a 2015 yamaha SX190, with 230 hours. It's currently listed at 30,000. Comes with trailer, cover, and thrust vectors. The dealer offers a 45 day guarantee starting memorial day that covers any mechanical failures, which means a lot to me. In general it looks like it's in great condition, and I'm going to go check it out with a mechanic friend this weekend to take a more in depth look.

Update: After seeing in person, this boat is in literal perfect condition. It could easily mistake a lot of people into thinking its new. Props to the previous owner who kept this in 10/10 condition.

So... Just tell me... How much am I overpaying here? Or any comments to make me feel better about the price? The amount of hours scares me, but the 45 day guarantee and having my mechanic friend take a looksie alleviates most of my concerns, but looking for more experienced opinions.
Update, took a look at the boat today in person... Freaking spotless. I have no idea how the previous owner kept this now 7 year old boat in such good shape with 230 hours of use. There was 1 scratch on a bow seat, that was the only thing I found "bad" in the interior. The exterior had 2 barely noticeable scratches. The engine looked perfect and passed a visible inspection from my mechanic friend. I understand the price a little more now, it is basically in like new condition. Tried negotiating price down just 1k, no budge. Likely going through with this, but still researching other options. But clearly the previous owner took amazing care of this boat. Even the trailer looked amazing.

Last edited:

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, they are! I asked the guy how much a new SX190 was that was coming in this season. He said $46k. (msrp + all the other fees) :O
I was on a wait list for an AR190 and noped out when they gave me the out the door price which was about $10k over list. Luckily I found a '21 with 6 hours on it for $35k around the same time. So now instead of just having an boat, I got a boat and some RZRs.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not totally sure, but aren't the 2015 and older models the ones that had timing chain issues on some of the motors. May want to inquire about that before purchase

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, they are! I asked the guy how much a new SX190 was that was coming in this season. He said $46k. (msrp + all the other fees) :O
That's about what I paid for my 2021 SX190 last year.

I should clarify, that was my OTD price w/TTL, hull treatment, upholstery treatment, YES, dealer fees (rigging) and I got charged 3k for the trailer.
Just the boat was $36,899.

Last edited:

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have checked those sources near me. I'm in Central WI, and even in a 500 mile radius I didn't find anything less expensive/competitive in price. :(
Bummer - but I wow didn’t realize our boats appreciate like gold! So At this rate a 195s with 4K upgrades would sell for $55k

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is incorrect. MSRP stands for Manufacturer's, not dealers retail price. The MSRP is listed on the yamaha site as $31.199 for the SX190. (plus fees of course) An SX210 is $46,999. Somone was looking at the wrong model. The dealer has the right to charge $46K for a 190, but they would never change the MSRP, they would add the difference in fees.

SX boats are not in as high of demand, so I doubt there is as much premium on them if any.

Zyglett

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is incorrect. MSRP stands for Manufacturer's, not dealers retail price. The MSRP is listed on the yamaha site as $31.199 for the SX190. (plus fees of course) An SX210 is $46,999. Somone was looking at the wrong model. The dealer has the right to charge $46K for a 190, but they would never change the MSRP, they would add the difference in fees.

SX boats are not in as high of demand, so I doubt there is as much premium on them if any.
Oh it was deff SX190. The msrp is actually 33,199 on yamaha site. But then the dealer added the freight charges, delivery charges, assembly charges, and others. The 46k was the price after all of that. It sounds like upper Midwest (I'm in WI) has more demand driving up prices.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would respectfully suggest that you call another dealer. 46K is an insane price for a SX190. Even if that was an out-the-door including state tax that is still high. With a 33K base price, 2K for freight, and 2K for taxes, this still totals only 37K. Dealer markup seems to 9K!

Jim

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh it was deff SX190. The msrp is actually 33,199 on yamaha site. But then the dealer added the freight charges, delivery charges, assembly charges, and others. The 46k was the price after all of that. It sounds like upper Midwest (I'm in WI) has more demand driving up prices.
yamaha has a typo on their website then. As on the main page when you hover over 19' boats, the price is 31,199 and when you click into it, it shows the 33,199 you saw and the hover price changes as well. They missed the first hover image on their site.

Either way, it's not $46k. Anyone paying $46K for a 190 series is on crack for sure. That's just flat out gouging by the dealer. Hey if they get it....

DanOC13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
for reference, I purchased a 2013 SX 240 in January of 2021 for $32k with a trailer and 70 hours.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just sold my 2018 AR190 with 90ish hours for 28K. I remember the dealer quoted me 30k for a SX190 back in 2018.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just sold my 2018 AR190 with 90ish hours for 28K. I remember the dealer quoted me 30k for a SX190 back in 2018.
Hate to say this but coulda got more

Kuczkuda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I just paid $32K for a 2016 SX192 with 200 hrs. If you want to get in the water this year, your going to pay more then in the past.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just paid $32K for a 2016 SX192 with 200 hrs. If you want to get in the water this year, your going to pay more then in the past.
This is why NADA values are so far out of wack. NADA is based on actual sales. And you can't get an NADA value to be more than what a boat was new unless folks over pay for a boat by $12K-$15k. Wow. My buddy passed on a 2016 AR192 three years ago because the seller would not come off of $18K. We told him to keep it and paid less for an AR210. Sheesh.

Kuczkuda

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
This is why NADA values are so far out of wack. NADA is based on actual sales. And you can't get an NADA value to be more than what a boat was new unless folks over pay for a boat by $12K-$15k. Wow. My buddy passed on a 2016 AR192 three years ago because the seller would not come off of $18K. We told him to keep it and paid less for an AR210. Sheesh.
But its the same for cars, trucks and motorcycles right now. You cant get anything in the Northeast without paying well above sticker for new or above Blue Book for used. And thats if you can even get something. I was looking for a new car lease and had to go to 3 dealers just to find something in stock. I agree 2 years ago I would paid at least $5k less. But I also got more for the boat I sold so its a wash

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
For new car sales, I'm beginning to see a lot of vehicles priced at (or slightly above) MSRP. Of course, there have always been certain models with huge demand that sell for much more than MSRP. Don't know about the leasing market, as I don't have an interest in leasing a vehicle.

If one wants to pay a premium price for a used boat, go for it. If you really use the boat, then maybe a good price doesn't matter. :winkingthumbsup"

Just don't want to hear anyone whine in a year or two that they can't get their money back for a boat they bought at an inflated price.

Personally, I'm waiting until Fall, when prices will be more reasonable and I'll have more time (if I retire) to use it.

Jim

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For new car sales, I'm beginning to see a lot of vehicles priced at (or slightly above) MSRP. Of course, there have always been certain models with huge demand that sell for much more than MSRP. Don't know about the leasing market, as I don't have an interest in leasing a vehicle.

If one wants to pay a premium price for a used boat, go for it. If you really use the boat, then maybe a good price doesn't matter. :winkingthumbsup"

Just don't want to hear anyone whine in a year or two that they can't get their money back for a boat they bought at an inflated price.

Personally, I'm waiting until Fall, when prices will be more reasonable and I'll have more time (if I retire) to use it.

Jim
It's basically every car now, not just select models. We were car shopping the end of last year and went to weveral dealers who had no new inventory and months long wait lists. Used cars were selling above list prices for brand new cars. We ended up paying msrp for an 18 month old used Q5 and it was the best deal we could find. What was explained to us was that the chips used in these cars pretty much all come from Singapore and due to covid the factories were shut for like 6 months so production was limited across the board causing a huge shortage in new car inventory.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's basically every car now, not just select models. We were car shopping the end of last year and went to weveral dealers who had no new inventory and months long wait lists. Used cars were selling above list prices for brand new cars. We ended up paying msrp for an 18 month old used Q5 and it was the best deal we could find. What was explained to us was that the chips used in these cars pretty much all come from Singapore and due to covid the factories were shut for like 6 months so production was limited across the board causing a huge shortage in new car inventory.
Toyota has stopped production of Tacomas with all options. So it's become impossible to find leather seats, moon roof, etc. Lucky I bought mine just before the madness started.

I bought my 2014 AR192 in 2018 for 8-10k less than people are selling them today. 30k for a 2015 SX190 sounds insane to me, but I can't argue with the market and what people are willing to pay to enjoy boating this Summer.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score