• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

3M Glue vs GelCoat

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick question for the masses....
Going to be wet slipping my 2016 190 this year for the first time.... SW Ontario CDN - fresh water....

There are 2 minor 2-3 inches scratches on the hull below the waterline...... both have pierced the gel coat and the fiberglass is
BARELY visible.... I really cant take pictures as I applied 3M glue last season.... not wet slipped !!!

I realize the proper thing to do is to use the gel coat kit that I just purchased but the kit states I need a min of 21C / 70F
for proper adhesion.... The Igloo type temperatures up North here are not going to reach that until God knows when....

Therefore, can I simply remove the old 3M glue, reapply new, wet slip my boat and use the gel coat kit when temperatures allow ?

Thank muchly.....

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Personally, I'd wait for the first warm couple of days you get and repair the gelcoat properly, then put it in the slip. You boating much south of 70 degrees anyway?

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well no not really (re:70F) but just pumped to get her into the wet slip and enjoy the marina scene...

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you have a garage and halogen shop lights or space heater to bring the temps up while you work and let it cure?

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Use Big Orange or any citrus based degreaser to easily remove 5200.

Attachments

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now thats an idea..... I do have a space heater and I could rig up some kind of tarp system on the port stern area....
Excellent Idea .....

TYVM Lads....