• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

4 stroke conversion

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read on another board where a guy changed out the 2 stroke engines in his Exciter 270 with 2, VX 110 motors (MR1's). Pretty impressive

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I considered such things while I had the LX210. It cost $12K to upgrade from the LX210 to the SX230. In hindsight I am very happy that I upgraded boats instead of upgrading engines.

What engines did the exciter have originally? I am assuming that he lost power. Did he lose performance as well?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My thought is that unless you have a very particular reason to stay with the small size and very flat hull shape of the LXs or Exciters, a 4-stroke upgrade would be a waste. The only real advantage I can see is increased fuel range. Don't get me wrong, that's a big advantage, but throwing out the power on the 2-strokes would make it completely different boat... and probably nowhere near the fun unless you're going to throw an insane amount of performance mods at it. If I'm thinking of the same boat as @4x15mph , that dude threw an INSANE amount of money at it and it didn't seem a whole lot better, IMO.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat I read about cost him $3k in engines which is not a lot. I am with you that you lose some of the benefits of the 2 stroke when paired with that boat. He said he maintained almost the same top end speed.

I just thought this was a great accomplishment and I agree with all of you that it is not the best upgrade strategy. I want a new 21 footer with the same performance but I hear that may be the 212 series. @smthng , keep me posted on your experience and I will go down that road some day.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just thought this was a great accomplishment and I agree with all of you that it is not the best upgrade strategy. I want a new 21 footer with the same performance but I hear that may be the 212 series. @smthng , keep me posted on your experience and I will go down that road some day.
I just wish I had the time and money he did to do that. :) I think $3k is a significant understatement of costs... he clearly had some mechanical and machine skills that I'd have to have someone else do... I'd say his fab work and installation was worth at least another $3k on top of that.

I'll post up separate threads on the move to the 212X once I've had some time in the water with the cleanouts redone. I think a friend may be buying a new 192 this week. It'll probably be a couple weeks before we can get them both out on the water, but I expect to do a full comparison of all three boats when we do. I'm don't feel my trip out last time was a good indicator of the X... I'm sure the intake tunnels and clean out plugs were messing her up... Now that I've seen the plugs, I'm pretty sure they weren't even sealing completely. Should have that all wrapped up next time she goes out.