• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

9/11 Never forget

On Friday I was leading our fire recruits through their morning routine: formation, inspection, rapid dress drill, PT. These young people want to be firefighters and its my job to help them get there and teach them as much about the fire service as I can along the way.
We paused at 08:46 for a moment of silence. The recruits were learning to wear an SCBA and mask for the first time. They stood quietly in formation, wearing all their gear, some with masks on. Our SCBA's are equipped with several alarm features one of which alarms if we are motionless for 30 seconds. Halfway through the moment of silence the PASS alarms begin sounding. Several recruits cannot shut the alrms off. I had prepared remarks about courage and sacrifice, about the firefighters of the FDNY....Instead I told the recruits about their PASS alarms, and how at ground zero amidst all the chaos and noise the sound of PASS alarms buried in the rubble could be heard.
I told these aspiring firefighters how the trucks rolled that morning loaded with in some cases two entire companies aboard because the guys who were getting off work that morning jumped back on to run the call.
At 10:28 we pause again, I tell them that the North Tower fell at this time. We are all on one knee and the recruits are resting from having worked through an obstacle course while wearing their SCBA's. Some had trouble learning to breathe through the mask and regulator while crawling, carrying weights, climbing stairs etc. A couple panicked and had to be talked down by instructors, had to convince themselves that they were ok and to keep moving forward. We discussed the FDNY troops climbing up the stairwells loaded with gear, they went up while a mass of humanity was trying to get down the same stairs to safety. The FDNY members climbed because thats what we do, push forward.
Today the recruits and I will gather with many firefighters from the ATlanta Metro area and participate in a memorial stair climb, 110 stories in gear to remember the guys from the FDNY who went up those stairs.
I have made this memorial climb every year and every year I walk away feeling a renewed purpose in my career. The spirit of the fire service is embodied in the guys from the FDNY who went up into the WTC. They put everything aside to do the job and they pushed forward until it was done.

343, Nil Obliviscendum

To our Armed Forces...

And DAMN those that don't appreciate the sacrifice they make!

And I should add.. On 9/11.. The fire, police, and citizens and all who answered the call laid so abruptly in front of them on a seconds notice.. Who sprung to action, risked their lives, and lost their lives for others.. Those were the unplanned and most worthy of American Armed Forces on that day. Our hats are off to you All.

Love. Respect. Gratitude.

Story about all the boats that helped evacuate people.

I will be showing this video to my son when he gets up this morning. He wasn't born when it happened but I want him to know about and never forget the sacrifices made that day or how lucky we are to live in the U.S. we usually visit the PA flight memorial in our city on the anniversary but didn't make it this year as I was feeling sick that morning with a summer cold. A crappy excuse I know but its caused me to think about the event more subsequently than I would have had I just visited the memorial with my son on 9/11, which a good thing I think. Only disease of the mind could make me forget the events of that day.

Back