• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

96 Speedster Build Thread

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I wanted to use this to dump pictures for my new-to-me 96 speedster. Since picking it up yesterday, I've pulled out the STBD engine for a rebuild - previous owner said the valve shaft gear/crank gear were stripped, so we'll see. Gonna need lots of cleaning and a reupholster and some other goodies...

Attachments

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Oops.. forgot to post the engine on the floor..

Attachments

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't wait to watch this. You must know a lot about the Sea Doo's to take on this project. Include pics of the Willy's also!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Can't wait to watch this. You must know a lot about the Sea Doo's to take on this project. Include pics of the Willy's also!
Haha honestly the only thing I know is from research and talking to people. I've never owned a boat or ski, my parents never had one either haha. I do have some formal diesel mechanic training, a degree in marine engineering, and work as a mechanical engineer so hopefully SOME of that will help. I just hope I'm not in over my head

Oh and the jeep's gonna be on tow rig duty so as soon as the hitch comes in I'll post towing pics!

Last edited:

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So with the engine on the hoist I started pulling off externals. I broke off 5 out of 9 of the flywheel cover bolts :banghead: but there's still shanks sticking out of the flywheel housing I can vice grip onto. I couldn't get the headbolts loose with my electric impact and didn't feel like kicking on the compressor so I stopped there. Everything turns smoothly and there's no abnormal play between the crank and the valve shaft. Previous owner said that is what was wrong so we'll see once it's all apart.

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I had trouble getting the headbolts off so I borrowed a better impact from my boss aaaaaaand....SNAP SNAP SNAP
In other news, tow hitch, wiring, and mirrors for the jeep came in so hopefully ill get them on tonight and take the boat to the carwash and pressure wash the engine bay

IMG_3127[1].JPG IMG_3128[1].JPG IMG_3129[1].JPG

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So are you going to try to use a bolt extractor to take out the broken bolts? Any tips and tricks will be great as you go through this incredible restore.

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Yeah I'm gonna try to get them out, but I'm already coming to terms with buying a rebuilt. If the crank is messed up, then it seems like the same amount of money to rebuild myself with top and bottom end than just buy a complete rebuild. I'm doing some research right now to see whats the best idea. Any suggestions would definitely help.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the idea of a rebuild since that engine looks worn a bit. Bolts breaking, etc. A new engine is probably only $1000-$1500 (premium). Keep going!

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I'm looking at going with a rebuild, i've read a few threads and its between SBT and SES. Before i do that, i still need to get the flywheel off and it won't budge UGHHH. On the positive side, I got the jeep in full tow mode! Need to get new shorter shocks, I already bottom out without any weight on the rear end.

IMG_3135[1].JPG IMG_3133[1].JPG IMG_3134[1].JPG

Attachments

ohtenwillys

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
OH btw... if anybody has any suggestions on how to take off the stupid flywheel, lemme know. I'd use heat but I don't wanna burn up the coils.