• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, and have been using a CPAP ever since. It took me a full year before I was able to make it through the entire night with my mask on, now I am unable to sleep without it. We took a week and a half trip to St. Anthony's sand dunes a couple years ago, and somehow I forgot my machine at home (first time ever and we take allot of trips). As soon as I would nod off, I would stop breathing entirely. I believe my brain forgot how to breath while sleeping. I wandered around my RV for three full nights. Finally on the fourth night I was able to sleep (or had to), and I was fine for the remainder of the trip.

The best advice I have for guys just starting this process is to spend some time determining which mask works the best for you. Be prepared to go through a few styles at first. The other thing is to stick with it. It is difficult to get used to, but start every night with that thing on your head, even if you rip it off in your sleep.

Bottom line is getting used to a CPAP is miserable, but once you get past that, your quality of life and health will improve.
Good info Addicted. Appreciate the advice.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a CPAP machine. I was diagnosed with moderate to severe sleep apea about 5 years ago. My sleep study was easy, a sensor on your finger while you sleep at home. The data was scary. You can see by the graph trends all the times that you stop breathing at night. For me it was 6X per hour with a pulse OX of 80%. Living with a CPAP machine is pretty easy. I take it every where when traveling overseas and power it with an old truck battery when I am camping. The camping part actually worked out very easy with a small 12V inverter. Testing the battery afterwards tells me that it is good for more than a month of camping. I didn't have any trouble getting used to the mask and am still using the first mask style I tried. Cam.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They figured out my setting after a couple of at home sleeps with their sensor attached to a finger. You feel like superman after you start using the machine. Cam.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks Dan. Waiting for my second sleep study to determine my pressure. I really appreciate all of the tips and suggestions. Looking forward to getting a good night sleep and feeling better!:singing:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shit guys, you've got me worried now. I have a lot of those symptoms but thought they were just caused by stress. I'm not overweight and usually have a lot of energy during the day which I attribute to early morning wake up work outs. I'll talk to my MD about this at my next exam but the thought of getting used to being hooked up to a machine while sleeping isn't very appealing.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same symptoms as all you guys. Wife got on me about it. Been on Cpap machine since 2003. Sleep study back then had me at breathing stoppage 91 times an hour..did another last year.. Same thing..love the rest I get on the machine..it is worth getting checked out if you suspect there is an issue. Bad stuff other than just death happens to your body as it struggles for oxygen during sleep. Shocking stuff.
Steve

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha starting to look that way..

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tell you what people. If you want a rude awakening to how scary sleep apnea is. Try rooming with a person that has it a doesn't know it. Story. I was rooming in Vegas with a counterpart from our Mexico plant. All through the night I was woken up with his breathing stoppages and restarts. Seriously it sounded like a cheap wooden formed screen door slamming and bouncing off the jamb. I got up to check to see if he was alive a couple of times. On the time he held his breath for 6 minutes, no shit 6minutes, I woke him up. He knew he snored a lot, but when I shared with him my night he was shocked. He got help the week he returned home. To this day he thanks me for "saving his life".
Scared the shit out of me.. Get professional help. Don't screw around.
Just my opinion.
Steve

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes. Started in mid May. What a difference. I don't have to take a nap during the day anymore. I still wake up a bit. When the mask looses it's seal, I can hear/feel the air on my face and it wakes me up. I'm using the small mask and I think I'm going to ask for the nasal pillows to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for asking and for your help earlier about this.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Cool....thanks Dan. I'm using the small nasal mask, I think that it's call a Wisp. What are you using if I can ask?

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years ago (before turning 30), got the mask and the whole bit but never was able to use it as I'd wake up unable to breathe. Turns out I had a deviated septom from when I broke my nose as a kid (8th grade) and had 90% blockage on my left side. So when my allergies were acting up (I'm in the allergy capital of the world) and blocking my good side, I had no way to get air in thru my nose so I'd became a mouth breather...and snorer.

Since I had it fixed, I no longer snore, get much better sleep, and somehow my allergies are better!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had deviated septum surgery done when I was 37 and it has helped my night time sleeping a lot. I just got my CMS50E and should be getting some numbers by the weekend.