• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was diagnosed with mild Sleep Apnea 5 years ago and was told that I MIGHT be able to reduce or eliminate it by losing weight (I was 215lbs -6'1"). I dropped my weight to 190 and was retested and my apnea had dropped to a level below which was defined as mild apnea to no apnea. So weight does play a role, but isn't the only factor! It sure is nothing to mess with!

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up. For about 5 years I have felt I'm not getting a good nights sleep. Switched out the matress and that helped but wasn't it. I had a septoplasty (opening of a restricted nasal passage) done a few years back and that definitely helped but I still feel I'm not getting quality sleep. My next checkup I'm going ask about getting tested.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You're welcome, let us know how your sleep study goes. There is a great forum that helped me out a ton with sleep apnea and using Cpap Therapy - www.cpaptalk.com
It might be a while until I'm do for my next doctor's visit but it is definitely something I will bring up. I have a few friends that started Cpap therapy a few years ago and said feeling well rested during the day is an amazing thing.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A lot of the symptoms you describe sound like how I felt with my wheat allergy. Eat normal healthy foods just like everyone else but feel like crap. Sick all the time, headaches, fatigue. I cut out wheat (gluten in general now because it is easier) and I am a new man. So if you feel like crap all the time and it is not sleep apnea then try cutting gluten out of your diet. It sucks eating gluten free from a food choice perspective, although it is getting better, but it sure beats constantly being sick.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My brother in law knows he has sleep apnea but he has been told, if he is professionally diagnosed he could have his driving licence revoked.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah this is an interesting read. I too thought that it was mainly due to weight issues. Talking with some guys I work with who have it and are not overweight made me wonder a bit. I am trying the weight loss part first anyway, to see if it does make a difference while I am still at the mild stage. If not, I guess it is off to be tested.

You hear too many horror stories about this to not take it seriously. It's hell getting old...

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My brother in law knows he has sleep apnea but he has been told, if he is professionally diagnosed he could have his driving licence revoked.
What on earth do those have to do with one another? That would mean practically any diagnosis would result in losing one's license.

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the post. There is a lot of people affected by this. My older brother was one of them that ultimately lost his life because of it. He had all the same symptoms you listed and passed away way before he should have (early 50's). It's something that should be taken serious. Glad to hear you are doing better.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Great post Dan, and the timing is ironic. I have a lot of those same symptoms and went to a neurologist late last year, especially for the headaches. He ordered an MRI of the brain and neck and a sleep study. The neck MRI showed that I had a cervical disc bulging backwards so badly that is was compressing my spinal cord (Cervical Spinal Stenosis). Had surgery last month to remove the disc and fuse the two vertebrae together. That solved the headache issue, but still have the sleeping and fatigue issues. Early today made the appt with the pulmonologist for my sleep study/consult. Hoping to find an answer to the last part of my issues.

Appreciate you sharing this.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
will do Dan....thx

Mud Skipper

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have sleep apnea and not overweight.
I started out with some of the early c-pap machines about 15 years ago.They did work somewhat and the masks were primitive. But I still was tired all the time.
So back in 2005 I had this surgery called mandibular advancement Sleep Apnea Surgery - Dr. Kasey Li - Palo Alto, California
I was a new man for about 3 years. And just like before I still felt tired all the time so I had yet another sleep study ( I think #6) . The Doctor said that I still had moderate sleep apnea.
What happens with this surgery is they pull the upper and lower jaws forward, but your skin/flesh has a memory and after time some of it returns back to its original position.
I am back on the c-pap and now I can't fall asleep without it. It is part of nightly ritual.
I would like to give some advice on sleep studies. It's very difficult to fall asleep in a sleep lab with wires all over you and a people watching.
So the night before the sleep study try to stay up all night. It's not easy but when your head hits the pillow in the lab you will be out in a few seconds. I guarantee it.

Russ

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm looking forward to being able to sleep through the night and feel rested when I get up. I'm also not overweight, but snore a bit according to my wife and a stressful job helps to keep me awake most nights. Hopefully the sleep/sleepless study will shed some light on my situation.

Thanks for the tips Russ. I was thinking of taking an Ambien, but was wondering if that would give a false result for the test.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea about 15 years ago and was told I did not need a c-pap then. As I've gotten older and a little heavier, my sleep has deteriorated. I am always tired and I never sleep well. The one exception was when I was getting ready to go mountain climbing and doing tons of cardio, my sleep and breathing at night got better. Working crazy hours, being 4o something and trashing my knee has prevented that level of cardio right now. Revisited a sleep clinic last year and they said not only did I not have apnea, I didn't snore. I though my wife was gonna go over and smack the technician as she has to suffer through my snoring every night. For insurance reasons, I had to wait again until this year to retest, but its on my radar as more and more friends my age are getting diagnosed and going to c-paps.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I just met with the pulmonologist this morning after having my sleep study last Friday. He said that I have severe sleep apnea and that I stopped breathing, on average, 41 times per hour. I had to laugh because I knew that I had, but didn't realize that it was so bad. He said that I have a thick neck, fat tongue and narrow air passage, all leading to this fun diagnosis.

Now I have to have another sleep study with the CPAP machine to determine what pressure I need to have. Thanks for all of the tips etc.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Gee...I spend tons of money on mods because of you guys. Now I need to go to the doc because you have described my sleeping problems to a Tee! Thanks....I think:winkingthumbsup"

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Gee...I spend tons of money on mods because of you guys. Now I need to go to the doc because you have described my sleeping problems to a Tee! Thanks....I think:winkingthumbsup"
between the boat, 3 kids and getting older, the wallet never gets put away anymore!:wacky:

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, and have been using a CPAP ever since. It took me a full year before I was able to make it through the entire night with my mask on, now I am unable to sleep without it. We took a week and a half trip to St. Anthony's sand dunes a couple years ago, and somehow I forgot my machine at home (first time ever and we take allot of trips). As soon as I would nod off, I would stop breathing entirely. I believe my brain forgot how to breath while sleeping. I wandered around my RV for three full nights. Finally on the fourth night I was able to sleep (or had to), and I was fine for the remainder of the trip.

The best advice I have for guys just starting this process is to spend some time determining which mask works the best for you. Be prepared to go through a few styles at first. The other thing is to stick with it. It is difficult to get used to, but start every night with that thing on your head, even if you rip it off in your sleep.

Bottom line is getting used to a CPAP is miserable, but once you get past that, your quality of life and health will improve.