• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A strut has developed a leak should I replace the springs?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am planning to replace the shocks and struts on my 150K mile Sierra Denali that is used to tow our boat. Should I replace the coil springs at the same time? What about the leaf springs?

Also what brand of shocks and struts would you recommend? I am probably going to with Bilstein 4600.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am planning to replace the shocks and struts on my 150K mile Sierra Denali that is used to tow our boat. Should I replace the coil springs at the same time? What about the leaf springs?

Also what brand of shocks and struts would you recommend? I am probably going to with Bilstein 4600.
Bruce,

Last time I did suspension work was a long time ago... 1984 Honda Civic S hatchback. When I replaced the rear struts I didn't replace the springs. I don't think they wear out. I seem to recall using lift and floor jack technique to safely unload the struts, but it's been at least 20 years.

Attachments

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I replaced only the rear coil springs in my 150k 2002 gmc Yukon XL slt, this summer.
My old Springs were giving out after 2.5 summers of towing. I replaced them with the heavy duty Springs ($90 for a pair) and it made a huge difference. No more sag in the rear end.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Loaded struts are SO much easier to replace and usually not much more cost. If you're doing it yourself, I'd go with the loaded struts. If you're having someone do it, they will have more labor so the cost may offset. They springs are likely fine on there, they don't usually need replacing unless they have been abused. Make sure you get new seats if you just replace the struts....maybe the struts come with it but another thing to be sure of. You'll get that ALL new if you get the loaded strut. Not sure how it is for bilsteins ...they make good stuff though.

as for leaf springs, they will be fine if they aren't rusted bad and haven't been consistently overloaded.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. The Leafs are not rusted and are the stiffest factory leafs available on the 1500.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Something I just though of...you don't have those GMC autoride shocks in the rear do you? Those things are pricey I've heard.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something I just though of...you don't have those GMC autoride shocks in the rear do you? Those things are pricey I've heard.
I do not believe so. I believe the much more complex Sierra Denali before 2006 had electronic suspension as does the 2015 and newer. But mine is just a normal Sierra with a 6.2, early six speed transmission, all wheel drive and the stiffest 1500 suspension that GM makes.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced the shocks on our truck with the Bilstein 4600 series and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I bought them online and had my local mechanic do the work. I saved considerable money buying them that way instead of through the shop. No need to mess with the coil or leaf springs. Mine was only at about 98k on the clock, but I was starting to have strange tire ware on the front so I figured it was time.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here's an example of the ones I'm buying for my sequoia.

Loaded Monroe quick strut (with new spring, seats and everything ready to bolt on) 121.00 per side.
http://smile.amazon.com/Monroe-171348R-Quick-Strut-Complete-Assembly/dp/B009AA5KJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1443954991&sr=1-1

Strut only 55.00
http://smile.amazon.com/Monroe-71348-OESpectrum-Sensa-Trac-Strut/dp/B000CGAHC8/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1443955055&vehicle=2003-76-1035-968--9-6-7-4691--1-1--173-4-0&sr=1-3&ymm=2003:toyota:sequoia

Since I'll be doing it myself, not dealing with spring compressors and related frustration it worth the extra cost. Yes, it's significant extra cost but remember when struts were stupid expensive? I think 121 per side is a good deal.

betterwhenitswetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bruce, go and measure your fender height front and rear (from fender lip to wheel centerline, NOT to the ground), the driver side should be slight lower due to weight of driver and fuel tank on the driver side, the passenger side should be about 1/2-3/4ish higher given the age of your truck if under 1 inch you should be ok with just replacing shocks, and Bilstein 4600 or 5,000+ series are great shocks, much higher quality than OEM, and Bilstein's are my recommendation.

little food for thought, shocks are rated at 80,000 miles the fact that you have 150K on stockers goodness. 80,000miles is recommend time for replacement, but not necessary as you already know.

I have a 2013 AWD Sierra Denali as well, you should visit the truck forums, there are folks with much greater details & experience about GM trucks than this site by a long shot.

the rear shocks are super easy about 20 minutes for replacement, the fronts are combined shocks and springs, and come out as 1 unit, then the shock has to be removed from the spring.

Since you have Sierra Denali 1500, its equipped Z-60 suspension system ( Suspension Package, High-Performance {truck sits lower, larger front sway bar, mono tube shocks, and low profile tires to match the 20" wheels, and better suited for street performance & handling over the standard suspension}) if springs are needed I would stay with OEM springs, but Bilstein's shocks

also ping me if you want to know more about the GMT-800/900 chassis', you can add 3 extra security sensors to your truck, shock, tilt and tailgate to reduce theft.

I made a few KB's on the site I visit the most. (I am camcamaro1991 on that site)

Dust filter retro fit kit, and will work on all the GMT-900 trucks/SUV's
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/technical-write-ups-201/gmt-800-900-cabin-air-filter-retro-kit-gm-oem-parts-533295/

GM illuminated door sills for GMT-900 trucks/SUV's
http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-900-trucks-general-discussion-188/gmt-900-illuminated-door-sills-oem-521660/?highlight=illuminated+door+sills

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had Bilstein 4600s installed on all four corners reusing the stock springs. I believe the ride has inproved from factory. Not just from 150k worn out shocks and struts but how it rolled off the factory floor.

Every time I upgrade something it becomes hard met and harder to face the eventual need to replace this truck.

For now the engine is running great, the brakes are upgraded EBC components, the suspension is upgraded and the transmission is almost new so I guess she is staying in our family for a while.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I have been researching this topic as my air ride is out on my 09 Tahoe. Need to get it replaced (expensive!!). Or delete the air ride some how and replace with shock/springs...? I have no working knowledge of this stuff so any help while y'all are answering @Bruce question I would be great full.

Here is what I found so far. Am I on the right track?

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/1248221/name/C-2721-Arnott-Coil-Spring-Conversion-Kit-GM-SUVs

Apologize for the hijack Bruce!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Apologize for the hijack Bruce!
I am finished with this thread so it is all yours. Fortunately I did not have air ride to deal with. I would guess that you could simply swap parts with a non air ride GMT900.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Ha. Thanks Bruce didn't realize this was an old thread.