• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A week of fishing in the FSH210

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Well, got back from a week of freshwater fishing on the 210 in Lake of the Woods, Ontario. In general, the boat worked great. Doing everything I asked if it. It actually worked very well.

Our focus was the elusive Musky. Commonly referred to as the fish of 10,000 casts. We caught 2, so feel pretty lucky. Caught many dozens of other fish also. So had plenty of action.

What worked well:

SOLIX 12 networked with Terrova Riptide 80lb trolling motor. Making my own detailed maps along with being able to command the boat to track certain contour lines was awesome.

MOB allowed movement around boat while engines were running. Often did this just during slow speed operation.

Quickness and security of Yamaha premium cover.

High speed and low speed maneuvering.

LTs and Vectors. Lots of tight positioning of boat in bolder filled coves and bays. Pivoting capability was awesome. Many times I needed to spin around within my boat length.

Low draft on plane and no prop hanging low. I was the only one in our group that did not hit submerged boulders with outboards. Was a pretty common occurrence for everyone else.

While trolling, a perceived deep weed bed bay, I did find myself caught in a large submerged bolder fields with depth of less then a foot. Was able to sneak my way out of them without touching any of the boulders. Was tense in a fiberglass boat. Was wishing for aluminum at that point. Was not at speed, so was not worried about major damage. But nobody wants to scratch their new boat. Keel guard made me feel a little bit better.

Size and layout of boat worked very well. Lots of room for two people casting with large poles with big lures. 9ft poles swinging 6+ oz. Musky lures. The boat does fish well. Like any center console.

Center console was awesome. We spent 10 hours a day in boat fishing. Got to know it well. Bathroom facilities was a huge hit with my wife. Great for secure storage.

We were the only center console boat I saw all week. Got a lot of looks. Up in Midwest USA and Canada, the traditional bass boats and multi species boats in the 16-20ft range are most common. By end of week, lots of folks were talking about my boat. Some asked to fish on it with us. Which we had to politely decline due to logistics of swinging big poles around with large hooks.

Used one of those syphon hoses with a one way valve that you just shake to get fluids to transfer. This worked awesome for filling up from a portable gas can from aft deck without having to hang off back and manipulate a gas can over the water.

Non carpeted interior was awesome. Boat stayed cool in 85+ deg temp all day in sun (beautiful weather for Canada all week). I did debate installing seadeck in interior of boat. Glad I did not. Pike and Musky slime is the worst stuff to get off any surface. Even struggled cleaning it off the gel coat (freshly waxed). I did install seadeck on rear platform and that did take some extra elbow grease to get it cleaned. But still see the spots.

What did not work well (or at least need some modification):

Premium Cover weather proofing was not up to task of major downpour (including large hail) on way into Canada. Everything in boat got wet. Stuff in storage and center console was dry. All our clothes were just sitting in boat, under the cover, and they all got wet. Looking for suggestions. I did notice the cover pocketed pretty deeply into bow at speed. I assume water pooled there when driving. However, when I stopped it always popped up and was hard to tell if water had collected in there or not. Maybe a suggested fabric treatment? I have various water proofing treatments. Just wonder what others thing is the best for this type of cover.

MOB would trigger if I was fishing off the back of the swim platform and facing away from it. I guess the signal had trouble getting through the console and my slim figure (had it on the neck lanyard). Small annoyance.

Not a good place to put a big net. Have to work on this.

Gunwale rod storage could not handle the larger rods we were using.

House battery could not keep up with fishing electronics demand. Need to get a better charging strategy approach for this type of duty cycle. Lots of quick dashes and then troll around for hours. I have a 12 amp charger for the trolling motor batteries, which worked great. Crank battery was fine. Just I struggled keeping the house battery up.

Need a front casting platform. Waiting on some detailed reviews of the one available from JBP.

Also, someone needs to develop a back rest kit for the seats next to the console chair. Just odd that they don’t have something like the 190. That would be the best place to sit in the boat when moving around at speed.

Like I said initially. Boat fished very well and was very unique in that environment. Am pretty sure some of the folks left the area, after seeing us fish successfully, and went home to investigate why Yamaha is making boats and how can they get one. Yamaha OBs are common and preferred up there. But most folks had no idea they make boats also. I am sure a few might consider getting one in the future.

justbeastit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Very nice write up! I'm looking at getting a 210 soon and all of this feedback is helpful.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like a great time.

Outer Armor https://commercialsewing.com/products/marine/mooringtrailerable-covers/ the manufacture of the mooring cover recommends "303 High Tech Fabric Guard" https://commercialsewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/WE-101_Surlastcare.pdf (Cleaning - 3rd paragraph) for water repellency.

To keep batteries charged, I went with a 4 bank charger, hooking the 4th charger line to the house battery, the other 3 banks to trolling motors. When charging, I turn the house and start battery switches off, and the bypass switch on. That way both batteries get charged, along with the 3 trolling batteries.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Th
Very nice write up! I'm looking at getting a 210 soon and all of this feedback is helpful.
Thanks. I just went through the process a few months ago for the first time as a boat buyer. Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer as a newbie to the brand/ jet boat ownership.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks @Frank Marshall. Just the feedback I was look for. Will give the 303 a try.

Thompsbren

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great write-up, thanks for taking the time. I boat in Lake Erie on the Ontario side and I agree the FSHs are rare. When my boat was having electronics installed the dealer (who doesn't sell Yamaha boats) had lots of interest in it. I think it will take time for jet drive to make a come back here thanks to the bad experiences people had with Sea Doo boats in the past.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
thanks for the write-up. Congrats on the musky!

I bought my FSH190 mainly to fish for musky (and also family time.) on Green Bay in Wisconsin.

I only trolled last season with it, and now have casting equipment this Spring. I keep the large net in the rod holders next to the console, in the folded position. If I'm casting solo, I'll keep the net extended propped up on the front of the console.

I'd think the bow casting platform would need to be a must have.

In the photo below, the huge musky net is laying in the bow, not extended, and my net man is taking photo.

22405463_10155087099578657_4016741995164637634_n.jpg

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
thanks for the write-up. Congrats on the musky!

I bought my FSH190 mainly to fish for musky (and also family time.) on Green Bay in Wisconsin.

I only trolled last season with it, and now have casting equipment this Spring. I keep the large net in the rod holders next to the console, in the folded position. If I'm casting solo, I'll keep the net extended propped up on the front of the console.

I'd think the bow casting platform would need to be a must have.

In the photo below, the huge musky net is laying in the bow, not extended, and my net man is taking photo.

View attachment 78628
Thanks @j_shoe99,

I plan to spend some time on Green Bay later this summer and fall doing the same. I have never fished those waters, but know plenty of folks that do and are willing to go out with me. Will look for you. We will probably be the only Yamaha FSHs out there.

I almost pulled the trigger on the 190 as I was initially looking to not invest as much as I did. But the dual engines sucked me into the 210.

I did have my net in the same holder. Just was a struggle bringing it out easily and quickly as I had both my musky net and walley net both on the same side to keep them away from the rods I had on the other side. They would catch on each other’s handles. I’ll figure it out eventually. Just gets kinda crazy when you have a big fish on and you scramble to get stuff ready.

Hopefully you are having some great success this year. Hear all the stores about how the next record holder might come from Green Bay.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
"We will probably be the only Yamaha FSHs out there."

I recall launching last year, and a couple older guys were eyeing up my boat. "Hey, that's one of them Florida boats eh!?" he said. The FSH is definitely not the normal fishing type boat for this area that's for sure!

Shoot me a message when you head out fishing, and I'll see if I have any pointers, or could head out myself.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
"We will probably be the only Yamaha FSHs out there."

I recall launching last year, and a couple older guys were eyeing up my boat. "Hey, that's one of them Florida boats eh!?" he said. The FSH is definitely not the normal fishing type boat for this area that's for sure!

Shoot me a message when you head out fishing, and I'll see if I have any pointers, or could head out myself.

Will do!

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
"MOB would trigger if I was fishing off the back of the swim platform and facing away from it. I guess the signal had trouble getting through the console and my slim figure (had it on the neck lanyard). Small annoyance."

I added the antenna extension, and the range increased dramatically. I would guess it's in the 100' range, and an easy to install, inexpensive upgrade. https://buy.fellmarine.com/mobmeh-1.html

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
"MOB would trigger if I was fishing off the back of the swim platform and facing away from it. I guess the signal had trouble getting through the console and my slim figure (had it on the neck lanyard). Small annoyance."

I added the antenna extension, and the range increased dramatically. I would guess it's in the 100' range, and an easy to install, inexpensive upgrade. https://buy.fellmarine.com/mobmeh-1.html
Awesome! Thanks. I did not know they had that option. Will pick that up.

Fnguy2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, got back from a week of freshwater fishing on the 210 in Lake of the Woods, Ontario. In general, the boat worked great. Doing everything I asked if it. It actually worked very well.

Our focus was the elusive Musky. Commonly referred to as the fish of 10,000 casts. We caught 2, so feel pretty lucky. Caught many dozens of other fish also. So had plenty of action.

What worked well:

SOLIX 12 networked with Terrova Riptide 80lb trolling motor. Making my own detailed maps along with being able to command the boat to track certain contour lines was awesome.

MOB allowed movement around boat while engines were running. Often did this just during slow speed operation.

Quickness and security of Yamaha premium cover.

High speed and low speed maneuvering.

LTs and Vectors. Lots of tight positioning of boat in bolder filled coves and bays. Pivoting capability was awesome. Many times I needed to spin around within my boat length.

Low draft on plane and no prop hanging low. I was the only one in our group that did not hit submerged boulders with outboards. Was a pretty common occurrence for everyone else.

While trolling, a perceived deep weed bed bay, I did find myself caught in a large submerged bolder fields with depth of less then a foot. Was able to sneak my way out of them without touching any of the boulders. Was tense in a fiberglass boat. Was wishing for aluminum at that point. Was not at speed, so was not worried about major damage. But nobody wants to scratch their new boat. Keel guard made me feel a little bit better.

Size and layout of boat worked very well. Lots of room for two people casting with large poles with big lures. 9ft poles swinging 6+ oz. Musky lures. The boat does fish well. Like any center console.

Center console was awesome. We spent 10 hours a day in boat fishing. Got to know it well. Bathroom facilities was a huge hit with my wife. Great for secure storage.

We were the only center console boat I saw all week. Got a lot of looks. Up in Midwest USA and Canada, the traditional bass boats and multi species boats in the 16-20ft range are most common. By end of week, lots of folks were talking about my boat. Some asked to fish on it with us. Which we had to politely decline due to logistics of swinging big poles around with large hooks.

Used one of those syphon hoses with a one way valve that you just shake to get fluids to transfer. This worked awesome for filling up from a portable gas can from aft deck without having to hang off back and manipulate a gas can over the water.

Non carpeted interior was awesome. Boat stayed cool in 85+ deg temp all day in sun (beautiful weather for Canada all week). I did debate installing seadeck in interior of boat. Glad I did not. Pike and Musky slime is the worst stuff to get off any surface. Even struggled cleaning it off the gel coat (freshly waxed). I did install seadeck on rear platform and that did take some extra elbow grease to get it cleaned. But still see the spots.

What did not work well (or at least need some modification):

Premium Cover weather proofing was not up to task of major downpour (including large hail) on way into Canada. Everything in boat got wet. Stuff in storage and center console was dry. All our clothes were just sitting in boat, under the cover, and they all got wet. Looking for suggestions. I did notice the cover pocketed pretty deeply into bow at speed. I assume water pooled there when driving. However, when I stopped it always popped up and was hard to tell if water had collected in there or not. Maybe a suggested fabric treatment? I have various water proofing treatments. Just wonder what others thing is the best for this type of cover.

MOB would trigger if I was fishing off the back of the swim platform and facing away from it. I guess the signal had trouble getting through the console and my slim figure (had it on the neck lanyard). Small annoyance.

Not a good place to put a big net. Have to work on this.

Gunwale rod storage could not handle the larger rods we were using.

House battery could not keep up with fishing electronics demand. Need to get a better charging strategy approach for this type of duty cycle. Lots of quick dashes and then troll around for hours. I have a 12 amp charger for the trolling motor batteries, which worked great. Crank battery was fine. Just I struggled keeping the house battery up.

Need a front casting platform. Waiting on some detailed reviews of the one available from JBP.

Also, someone needs to develop a back rest kit for the seats next to the console chair. Just odd that they don’t have something like the 190. That would be the best place to sit in the boat when moving around at speed.

Like I said initially. Boat fished very well and was very unique in that environment. Am pretty sure some of the folks left the area, after seeing us fish successfully, and went home to investigate why Yamaha is making boats and how can they get one. Yamaha OBs are common and preferred up there. But most folks had no idea they make boats also. I am sure a few might consider getting one in the future.
Did you use the factory supplies trolling motor mount, or did you have a custom one built?

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did you use the factory supplies trolling motor mount, or did you have a custom one built?
I used the factory one. Have never had a problem with it. And I use it alot.

Fnguy2004

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I used the factory one. Have never had a problem with it. And I use it alot.
Great! Thanks. Where did you have your batteries mounted? Did you transom mount a transducer?