• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About to buy an AR210 - any dealer installed options I should get?

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With the forum's "help," I've decided to buy an AR210 (rather than the AR190 I was all set to buy). Thanks for the load off my wallet!

I live on a brackish river off the Chesapeake - the boat will be kept on a lift. I'll do watersports, the occasional 60 mile roundtrip journey for an expensive lunch, and general cruising around.

Before I call the dealer to negotiate, what options should I consider buying from the dealer (or asking them to throw in to the deal)?

- GPS/chartplotter? (AR210 has a depth sounder, and I don't need a fish finder - but I'm pretty sure I want a chartplotter rather than using my IPhone - recommendations on type and mounting location would be welcome also)
- Mooring cover? (I've read various threads on the topic of covers and a boat lift, and I've decided I think I'm acrobatic/masochistic enough to try the full cover rather than the pair of snap covers)
- Second battery?
- Anything?

I'm fairly handy - although much more of a home improvement guy than a car guy - but the thought of drilling and sawing into the most expensive thing I've ever purchased that I can't sleep in really scares me (I realize you folks on the forum do it all the time, but I'd need to work up to it).

Thanks for any advice!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The mooring covers are expensive and will only last a few seasons if sitting in the sun for 12 hours a day. Might want to think of a cheaper secondary cover or a way to get some shade over the whole boat.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The mooring covers are expensive and will only last a few seasons if sitting in the sun for 12 hours a day. Might want to think of a cheaper secondary cover or a way to get some shade over the whole boat.
Ask for the shipping cover that came with the boat upon delivery as well. I wish I had mine just to trailer mine, rather than my mooring cover. I have put holes in my boat and I am still nervous.

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestion about a secondary cover - hadn't heard that before.

Djetok, I have put holes in my boat? Not sure what that means?

I hope my boat will never leave the river - I'll either be boating or it will be on the lift. Most of my neighbors leave their boats on their lifts all winter - is that a bad idea? (I'm in Maryland) I'll get the included trailer, but I don't have a vehicle that will pull the trailer+boat, so I don't anticipate storing it on the trailer. I guess the shipping cover might be a difficult-to-install-on-a-boat-lift cover to put on once a year for the winter? (tho I don't imagine the shipping cover is particularly UV-stable?)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The shipping cover makes for a great winter cover, and should last you a couple years. Even if you don't want it, get it - the going rate for them is about $200 (I recently bought a second one just for winter use).

2nd battery is a no brainer, especially if you just do a lot of hanging out/listening to music. Most of our trips are probably less than 30-minutes of run time, so not a lot of chance to recharge the batteries.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
With the forum's "help," I've decided to buy an AR210 (rather than the AR190 I was all set to buy). Thanks for the load off my wallet!

I live on a brackish river off the Chesapeake - the boat will be kept on a lift. I'll do watersports, the occasional 60 mile roundtrip journey for an expensive lunch, and general cruising around.

Before I call the dealer to negotiate, what options should I consider buying from the dealer (or asking them to throw in to the deal)?

- GPS/chartplotter? (AR210 has a depth sounder, and I don't need a fish finder - but I'm pretty sure I want a chartplotter rather than using my IPhone - recommendations on type and mounting location would be welcome also)
- Mooring cover? (I've read various threads on the topic of covers and a boat lift, and I've decided I think I'm acrobatic/masochistic enough to try the full cover rather than the pair of snap covers)
- Second battery?
- Anything?

I'm fairly handy - although much more of a home improvement guy than a car guy - but the thought of drilling and sawing into the most expensive thing I've ever purchased that I can't sleep in really scares me (I realize you folks on the forum do it all the time, but I'd need to work up to it).

Thanks for any advice!
I doubt you'll get a GPS but I got mine mounted before I took delivery
2nd Battery (discounted)
Spot light - hand held (discounted)
Coast Guard Kit
Mooring cover
Extra anchor
Life jackets (discounted)
Dock lines (discounted)
Spray lube
Engine fogging oil
Maintenance (discounted)
Upgraded stereo (discounted)
Coolies, Frisbee, extra whistles and some fenders

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have put holes in my boat and I am still nervous.
I added speakers that I had to drill with a hole saw. I understand how it makes you nervous, I have done and I am still nervous.

Tim in MD

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, more questions from the new guy...

I got my AR210 quote today from the dealer. As expected, about $1500 off list - I'll see if I can get them down a bit further.

But, what hit me was the cost of the galvanized trailer, which I hadn't seen separated out before - $3710 including tax, for something I don't think I want. I plan to keep my boat on a lift year-round (as do most of my neighbors). There are two full-service marinas less than a mile away across the river if I need service that I can't handle; I don't have a vehicle that will pull it; I'll have to store the trailer somewhere (like my house), where it will take up room and slowly deteriorate.

So, my question: am I overlooking something? Do I really want this trailer for some reason? If I need a trailer someday (like to sell the boat :(), can I just go to my local load-rite dealer and buy one that's suitable then (a quick look at load-rite pricing says that may be something like $4500 w/tax today).

And, second question (which I'll of course ask the dealer): any idea if I have to take/pay for the trailer? It looks like the boats all come from the factory sitting on a trailer - can the dealer just ship the trailer back to the factory?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sorry, more questions from the new guy...

I got my AR210 quote today from the dealer. As expected, about $1500 off list - I'll see if I can get them down a bit further.

But, what hit me was the cost of the galvanized trailer, which I hadn't seen separated out before - $3710 including tax, for something I don't think I want. I plan to keep my boat on a lift year-round (as do most of my neighbors). There are two full-service marinas less than a mile away across the river if I need service that I can't handle; I don't have a vehicle that will pull it; I'll have to store the trailer somewhere (like my house), where it will take up room and slowly deteriorate.

So, my question: am I overlooking something? Do I really want this trailer for some reason? If I need a trailer someday (like to sell the boat :(), can I just go to my local load-rite dealer and buy one that's suitable then (a quick look at load-rite pricing says that may be something like $4500 w/tax today).

And, second question (which I'll of course ask the dealer): any idea if I have to take/pay for the trailer? It looks like the boats all come from the factory sitting on a trailer - can the dealer just ship the trailer back to the factory?
That's strange. When I purchased my 192 it came with a trailer. They said it was worth $200. I gave it back to them anyways. Don't be afraid to shop around. Compare cost and deals from other states.

Do you really need a trailer? No. Especially since your service is close. Others will chime in with there deals.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the dealer is adding $3,700 for the galvanized trailer I would stay away from that dealer. The boat and trailer is a package deal. The highest I have seen taken off or a trailer is a $1,000. If I were I would take the trailer. If you so chose to don’t want it you can always sale it. A new tandem galvanized will probably sale for $2k fairly quickly. I sold my 6 year old painted for $1,500.

Like others said depending how desperate you, I would say wait another 2 months and also start shopping nationwide. Even if you do not drive yourself you could probably ship a 210 for less than $2k cross country.

If regard to free freebies form the deal I would make a list of what you want and price out the items. Then try to negotiate the price down by that amount . I would rather do or add the mods myself that have the dealer lowest paid employees work on my future boat. I have read horror stories of random parts on the engine bay.

One more thing. Please do consider keeping the trailer. The main advantage of these boats is that you tow them very easily. By limit your self to only one river ? Rent a truck or make your son buy a truck if he wants to use the boat. So many places you could visit for like $300 worth of fuel. You know that boat will take you or your son in the Bahamas right !!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a shady ass dealer. Trailer is included in MSRP, the only possible upcharge is the galvanization, which I think is only a few hundred bucks over the painted trailer.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That's a shady ass dealer. Trailer is included in MSRP, the only possible upcharge is the galvanization, which I think is only a few hundred bucks over the painted trailer.
This.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd ask for the always full wallet option. Or settle for the always full cooler. Good luck on either. And at least one extra tow rope since one WILL get sucked up this season. Congrats on the boat. Hope to see you on Lanier