• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About to make my first long distance tow.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this now.

Have a 10hr tow (one way) coming up at the end of next week. Seems like cheap insurance.
Memberships were discounted at costco last month. Not sure if still available.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Don't forget the grease gun!

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
OK... went through Shorelander's website and using my trailer VIN I was able to find the exploded view parts catalog. I've honestly not spent much time looking at my trailer. So, 1 axle has brakes and the other one doesn't.

Standard axle, the hub is part # SS734.
Standard axle with brakes, the part # is SK0107.

1622649574792.png

1622649692027.png

If I wanted to have a complete replacement, would I need to buy both of these? Or does the hub (SS734) bolt to the brake rotor? I assume that's how it is, but I haven't looked to know for sure. If that's the case, buying the complete rotor assembly with bearings and all seems like the way to go for $100.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
The spindle is not pictured. It is hopefully bolted to the axle, not welded. Look at the axles to find the spindle. (hub)

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This trailer aid...beats having to jack. Went to my local west marine and found it for 26 bucks. Waaay cheaper than amazon or anywhere else that I've found.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES ARE PR0PERLY INFLATED !
boat US trailer towing? For when things go FUBAR
Check the bearings over & grease before heading out. I have towed long distances with heavy loads on trailers and I just take tools, grease gun and whatever else I hope I'm not going to need. Every stop I walk around the rig and touch the hubs and tires and feel for abnormal heat and wear to the tires. If one is getting hot, jack it up & check the bearings, tighten if necessary and fill with grease.
^^^ These would be my recommendations. Grease and max tire inflation are obvious.

Add a set of cheap ratchet straps, and Boat US.

Why?

Last year, while towing long distance over a long weekend I got two tires slashed by an object on the same side of the trailer. I managed to control the trailer but ended up stuck on the side on the road in a precarious position - the trailer was so slumped to the side I was worried it would roll - and the coupler was stuck at an angle - wouldn't come off of the trailer hitch, lol, a f@cking nightmare. It was dark, 2am, was with one of my young children, and two dogs.

The AAA couldn't help me because they don't deal with boat trailers. The Boat US saved the day, they send a local guy who took forever to get to me, but was able to use his platform bed to lift the trailer side up enough to manage changing the one spare I had, and then we compressed and strapped up the other spring, so I could drive off to safety (at 15mph in a breakdown lane).

1622685265331.png

--

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
^^^ These would be my recommendations. Grease and max tire inflation are obvious.

Add a set of cheap ratchet straps, and Boat US.

Why?

Last year, while towing long distance over a long weekend I got two tires slashed by an object on the same side of the trailer. I managed to control the trailer but ended up stuck on the side on the road in a precarious position - the trailer was so slumped to the side I was worried it would roll - and the coupler was stuck at an angle - wouldn't come off of the trailer hitch, lol, a f@cking nightmare. It was dark, 2am, was with one of my young children, and two dogs.

The AAA couldn't help me because they don't deal with boat trailers. The Boat US saved the day, they send a local guy who took forever to get to me, but was able to use his platform bed to lift the trailer side up enough to manage changing the one spare I had, and then we compressed and strapped up the other spring, so I could drive off to safety (at 15mph in a breakdown lane).

View attachment 152166

--
Thank you for this post. Sorry you had to deal with that. But the other day I came across a big towing ratcheting strap I have never used. I was going to give it away. Going in the rig tomorrow.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just bought some straps as well. Great point. Picked up a thermometer as well. 2 questions I'd love to get answered if someone can....

1. Is buying just the hub (#SS734) all you need for both axles? Same hub fits on the brake axle?
1622728461357.png

2. What grease do you guys use? I assume something waterproof but there are so many different kinds of grease.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just bought some straps as well. Great point. Picked up a thermometer as well. 2 questions I'd love to get answered if someone can....

1. Is buying just the hub (#SS734) all you need for both axles? Same hub fits on the brake axle?
View attachment 152204

2. What grease do you guys use? I assume something waterproof but there are so many different kinds of grease.
Yesterday I was referring to the spindles that the hubs ride on. The inner cones of the bearings can get galled to the spindle or even siezed. Rate, but it happens.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yesterday I was referring to the spindles that the hubs ride on. The inner cones of the bearings can get galled to the spindle or even siezed. Rate, but it happens.
My boat is at the lake so not here for me to check easily. I took some pictures of things a couple years ago and this is the best I could find. Zoom in and it appears it's welded. That wouldn't change the hub. Just run the risk of the spindle being galled up or something..... right?

pic.jpg

1622742271806.png

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yeah, it does look like it's welded. Not sure about the other axle. You're probably good with the just the hub. The spindle would be the extreme case.
Trailer looks great, btw

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, it does look like it's welded. Not sure about the other axle. You're probably good with the just the hub. The spindle would be the extreme case.
Trailer looks great, btw
That pic was a couple years ago.... not sure it looks like that anymore :D

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bought a bearing kit for 1 axle from Hanna RV. Emailed them and they responded super quick and were really helpful. The kit includes bearings, seals, etc for 1 complete axles plus a tube grease. Under $70 total and I hope I never have to open the package!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Bought a bearing kit for 1 axle from Hanna RV. Emailed them and they responded super quick and were really helpful. The kit includes bearings, seals, etc for 1 complete axles plus a tube grease. Under $70 total and I hope I never have to open the package!

I like their website, they have good Shorelandr support. I ordered a tube of wheel bearing grease (that you ordered) and it took over 2 months to get it. When I got the grease, the cap had fallen off and grease was everywhere. They gave me a refund based on the amount of grease I believed to be missing from the tube. Pretty cool.

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on this now.

Have a 10hr tow (one way) coming up at the end of next week. Seems like cheap insurance.
BoatUS towing insurance is ridiculously cheep. There are limits on how far they will tow. So check before depending on them. It's also important to know the total width, length and weight of the boat and trailer. I saw a guy roadside that they sent a regular tow truck for a 24' boat and trailer. Like most things in life, really spell things out to all that you speak to if it hits the fan.

Tom