• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About to pull the trigger on a 2016 Yamaha Limited 242S- 40 MPH Top Speed

Rvitelli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Found a great looking boat, looks to be well taken care of, owner did all maint. On test drive, it really didn't bite, top speed was 40 mph with bimini up, about 10 mph winds and not exactly a glass lake. Had about 600 lbs passenger weight and typical lifejackets and things in boat. Is that too slow, should I move on to another. Again looked to be well taken care of.

Probably seems right.... impeller probably has slight knicks over the past 6 years which will lower top speed. A dirty bottom hull reduces top speed too. Throttles could also need adjusting if not running full RPM.... could also need new spark plugs. If everything else looks good, it wouldn't be a concern for me.

It should be pulling high 40's. Possible spark plug change. Old fuel, all sorts of things. Compression test is an option, but lots of spark plug holes to check.

Good luck,

No tests were performed other than sea trial. Should I try to schedule a mechanic? First boat and hate to make a 55k mistake. Comes with new seadek and 10k stereo and pretty much looks brand new which is why I didn’t push price down anymore.

55K seems very high, but could be right for the condition. 40MPH is concerning, my 2017 still hits 49 in less than ideal water, 51 soooometimes 52 with perfect water and a little tailwind.

Do you think that is high with Rockford fosgate control unit, 2 amps 10", sub 8 inch tower cans and 6 speakers, seadek, wakeboard holders, life jackets, grill, table, thrust vectors, 130 hrs. Looks brand new. Concern is the speed.

Also when he pulled the boat out of the water and opened the drain plug, it drained for like 5 minutes.

Do you think that is high with Rockford fosgate control unit, 2 amps 10", sub 8 inch tower cans and 6 speakers, seadek, wakeboard holders, life jackets, grill, table, thrust vectors, 130 hrs. Looks brand new. Concern is the speed.

I would put no value on an upgraded stereo on a used boat. And if I did it wouldn’t be that system. It’s not bad but it’s not worth adding value. All the other stuff is pretty typical in any used boat sale (most boats have upgraded stereo too).

10k stereo is great, but if the boat has a leak and it’s not getting over 40 definitely have a mechanic check it out. If could be something simple like plugs or over filled oil, but if it has mechanical issues it’s not worth a “premium” right now. For 55k, your not too far off something with a warranty.

All that water could be slowing it down a bit too. Check the Anchor locker drain in the bow. The drain from the factory doesn’t go all the way through to the inner hull so water fills into the bilge. If that’s the case it just needs to be filled around it in the locker with some good silicone.

Back