• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ACL recommendations / experience please

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So, its official. Headed to my second ACL surgery in a couple of weeks.:rolleyes:

I did the patella graft on my left knee 4 years ago and have some issues with patella tendinitis. I'm 4 years older now (mid 40's) and just tore the ACL in my right knee playing sand volleyball. This time I plan on the cadaver graft due to the experience of other friends who have had pretty fast recovery going this route, plus my struggles with the patella surgery last time. I'm wavering a little bit though.

My surgeon say the re-tear rate for the patella graft is 1/2% in his patients, and the cadaver is 2%. Not a huge difference and I am not playing contact sports. Wake surfing, hiking and planning on getting back into the mountains are my continuing life goals.

I know there is not one right answer, just curious about other people's experiences with ACL's.

BTW - he is an NFL and NHL team surgeon, plus supports many HS and collegiate teams. I know I am in good hands either way. Good news, cartilage is in pretty good shape, no meniscus tear visible on MRI and everything else looks pretty intact.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel for you! ACL surgery is no fun and the recoup take some time. Now if it was a hip replacement I would be your guy (having had 3 in 3 years) . I do know that my friends who have had hamstring material used have had issues with recurring hamstring pulls. DMSO works great for patella tendinitis. Cam.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had my ACL replace, MCL repaired a second time and meniscus all rebuilt (everything in my right knee) about 5 years ago. I went the cadaver route as well with the ACL. 1 cut always seemed better than 2 to me. 1 year later I was back to playing competitive city league basketball in DC without a brace. Now I am playing tennis a few times a week and still not bracing and have no issues. If you rehab properly (take it seriously) it should be as strong as the original. ** I do tell people I have very real dreams of what seems to be a continuation of someone else's life... and there is a good % of people that believe me. So that is a positive to it as well.

DeadlyFrog

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel for you! ACL surgery is no fun and the recoup take some time. Now if it was a hip replacement I would be your guy (having had 3 in 3 years) . I do know that my friends who have had hamstring material used have had issues with recurring hamstring pulls. DMSO works great for patella tendinitis. Cam.
Why three in 3 years?

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Hamstring is a better option for somebody younger than me. I've heard it can be pretty painful. I'm steeled for the recoup, just want to tackle it and move forward at this time.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You look better without a knee brace.IMG_6809.JPG

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You know @buckbuck , even with the knee brace I like this shot. A picture really is worth 1,000 words! ;)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You should be receiving pictures today or tomorrow in the mail.

Reactions: 007

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ 007 , both options sound "all bad" too me but I have no experience with either procedure, yet anyway, what ever you choose I hope you have a speedy recovery.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hope you have a quick recovery !!!!!

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I borrowed a "chiller" from a freind for when I have the survey and I'm making sure it works. It's basically a cooler with a pressurized cuff attached.

Check out what feeds this thing! :):thumbsup:
image.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^that is funny @007. Did they get it at West Marine? Speedy recovery!

And with all your NFL docs, sounds like you are in good hands, too.

--

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many hips you got ? :)

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With only 2 legs the math doesn't add up very well does it. All on the same side. First one came loose after a year, 2nd one came loose, wait.....after a year. The third one is (after a year) mostly hanging in there. Not tight enough to not hurt all the time, but not loose enough get it out. Sigh!! Though I am now the hip rehab king. I definitely didn't get the glossy brochure results, more of the "your in the 2% category" small fine print at the end results. Sucks. Hey but I can surf and I am going to get back on my dirtbike this fall and ski this winter. Unless it falls out. Cam.

007 is that "chiller" the cyro cuff for around your knee?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With only 2 legs the math doesn't add up very well does it. All on the same side. First one came loose after a year, 2nd one came loose, wait.....after a year. The third one is (after a year) mostly hanging in there. Not tight enough to not hurt all the time, but not loose enough get it out. Sigh!! Though I am now the hip rehab king. I definitely didn't get the glossy brochure results, more of the "your in the 2% category" small fine print at the end results. Sucks. Hey but I can surf and I am going to get back on my dirtbike this fall and ski this winter. Unless it falls out. Cam.

007 is that "chiller" the cyro cuff for around your knee?
Cam where do you ski? Wbc? I am so ready to ski whistler.
My home slope is wolf creek colorado. Love me some knife ridge.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
djetok,
We ski Sun Peaks most weekends (about 45 min away) and Whistler/Blackcomb a few times a year. It is about 5-6 hrs from my house. We are diehards and normally get a family seasons pass each year but I have missed the last 3 seasons so far. Youngest son is 20 and has skied for 18 years, if that tells the story. Cam.

007 a friend used one (rented) called a cyro cuff, for his ACL surgery recovery. Fully encircled the knee with velcro attachments. Looked like a heart/lung machine with all the tubing but was vital for keeping the swelling down in the first month. My job was to deliver DVDs to him. Seem the most common repair here is to drill a hole in the knee and pull the hamstring though to replace the ACL function.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Surgery was Tuesday. PT session #1 completed today. Feeling much better than last time I was here. Got the "slow and careful speech" today which was a good reminder. Dressing off too. Now time for a nap!
image.jpg

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Surgery was Tuesday. PT session #1 completed today. Feeling much better than last time I was here. Got the "slow and careful speech" today which was a good reminder. Dressing off too. Now time for a nap!
View attachment 44431
Dude! I take it the surgery went well. Rest up and take care of yourself.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get well soon @007!

Top Bottom