• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Added ballast success.... surfed all day, BUT

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
We added a 1000 lb Sumo bag centered on transom deck and proved to be too much combined with 250 lb starboard stock tank full, 100 lb sand bags in bow, 400 lbs people in boat + Wakebooster. could barely get to 9mph at 7k rpm on both engines. Dropped about 300 lbs from Sumo bag and was able to go 10-11 mph at 6800 rpms. Wave was very big, but fairly small pocket. I feel the engine rpms are too high? Thoughts?

I did really enjoy the tall wave! Maybe more weight in bow will help the wave get longer and allow lower rpms?
Just keeping with the trial and error.

sorry, didn’t get a pic from starboard side for better view of wave. Surfung at sunset was awesome.

DADD554C-F7BB-4D5B-B2A9-2701E4690FB2.png

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know much about your model of boat, but we've had 2,000 lbs and people and didn't have an issue at all on our 2008 AR230. I would try less weight, but concentrate it all surf side. Longer pocket will be shorter wave. May be difficult with what appears to be a short board.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
More weight in front will lengthen the pocket and improve speed. Did you try moving your people ballast to the bow? I have a 400lb bag that I fill on the floor up in the bow.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Move a few people to the bow if possible. That will help with speed and pocket size.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How deep is the water your in? Might need to go find deeper water for a better wave.

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
More weight in front will lengthen the pocket and improve speed. Did you try moving your people ballast to the bow? I have a 400lb bag that I fill on the floor up in the bow.
My wife was up in bow and I have 100 pounds of sand up there, so 250. Will try more next time.

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
How deep is the water your in? Might need to go find deeper water for a better wave.
That is a good reminder. I will keep looking for deeper water that isn’t choppy. Not much to choose from in central ohio. I’ve been in deep water, but the water is a mess with traffic.

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I don't know much about your model of boat, but we've had 2,000 lbs and people and didn't have an issue at all on our 2008 AR230. I would try less weight, but concentrate it all surf side. Longer pocket will be shorter wave. May be difficult with what appears to be a short board.
Board is Connelly 5’4”... maybe it looks short as in 6’5”. Will move the straight line sumo bag to surf side next time out. I was trying to center so all I had to do was change ballast tanks by touch Connext and switch Wakebooster sides. Trying to avoid draining, moving and refilling Sumo bag, but may have to for better waves. Or I force everyone to surf goofy... lol.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Can’t wait we just picked up the same board going to play this weekend as we’ve been practicing with our zup board and stock ballast up till now...

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Board is Connelly 5’4”... maybe it looks short as in 6’5”. Will move the straight line sumo bag to surf side next time out. I was trying to center so all I had to do was change ballast tanks by touch Connext and switch Wakebooster sides. Trying to avoid draining, moving and refilling Sumo bag, but may have to for better waves. Or I force everyone to surf goofy... lol.
I guess! It looked tiny under you. :)

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Can’t wait we just picked up the same board going to play this weekend as we’ve been practicing with our zup board and stock ballast up till now...
Good luck! I figure there are so many varialbles and so little time to get on the lakes that I know I will spend much more time next summer trying to dial in a preferred set up. Happy surfing