• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding a Trailer Hitch to the Boat Trailer

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think a couple people have done this if I remember correctly?

I'm looking to had a hitch to the back of the boat trailer so that I can pull the jet ski behind it. Has anyone done this? If so, where did you go to get it done, a regular body shop? I've called the local marina and a few other places I thought might do it and they all said they aren't sure where I should go :(

Also, how much work/modding is involved?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recall seeing a pic of a setup like you described, I think it was an avatar of a YJB member. Anyway, it didn't look complex, the receiver for the tongue was welded to the bottom rear cross support.

I would be more concerned with the legality of such a rig. In ca if you want to tow two trailers with one vehicle the first one needs to be attached via a fifth wheel. I'm sure this applies to other states as well but I'm not sure which.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That would be illegal in California.

I had a receiver welded to the back of a tent trailer so I could attach our bike rack. The local trailer shop did it for me.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
In Missouri we can trailer like that. I've thought about having that done so we could take a popup trailer and the boat camping. It would scare me if I had to back up....

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's legal in IA, KS, MO, & NE. Not sure about other places, but that has been 100% of my boating to this point so it should be good....

I'll check the welding shops around and see what I can find, Thanks everyone!!! :)

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Actually in KS you have to have a fifth wheel as the first trailer and it must have electric brakes and a breakaway. The second trailer just needs to have lights. I researched the heck out of it because I had a fifth wheel with a waverunner on the back.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hhhmmm, I'll have to check into that....I spoke w/a KS state trooper and he said it was fine...thanks for the heads up, I'd rather not get in trouble for something like that ;)

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ha! I too was worried about getting stopped. I also spoke with a State Trooper but actually went to the local inspection station and they said it must be a fifth wheel for the first trailer. I think I have a PDF somewhere of the actual verbiage the state uses. I will see if I can dig it up.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think a couple people have done this if I remember correctly?

I'm looking to had a hitch to the back of the boat trailer so that I can pull the jet ski behind it. Has anyone done this? If so, where did you go to get it done, a regular body shop? I've called the local marina and a few other places I thought might do it and they all said they aren't sure where I should go :(

Also, how much work/modding is involved?
Not sure what you're using as a tow vehicle, but it might be easier (and safer) to put the jet ski in the back of a pickup truck, then tow the boat behind the truck. There's some pretty nice carriers that are made to fit into truck beds.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw a boat trailer on here (I think) that had a ski carrier in front of the boat, the person had bought the boat and was wanting to get a normal trailer if I remember correctly.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure what you're using as a tow vehicle, but it might be easier (and safer) to put the jet ski in the back of a pickup truck, then tow the boat behind the truck. There's some pretty nice carriers that are made to fit into truck beds.
cost of $1-200 vs a few thousand for the haulers has me nixing that idea....It's a single ski, nothing unsafe about it...the only limiting factor is that you lose the ability to back up

with that being said, i wouldn't ever think about it in Cali...much different traffic/roads here in the midwest ;)

mmgg

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In Canada I heard there is a max. length something like 50 feet for truck and trailers.