• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding amp and towers

Mike Harris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I currently have 4 Polks DB651s and the JL Sub running through a JL M700/5 amp. Polks are in stock location and sub behind helm seat. I am adding the Planet Audio AC1600 and the 2 8" Bazooka Tubbies.
I was wondering if, after I hook up a AC1600.4 and Bazooka Tubbies, if I should switch the Polks to the AC1600 amp and move the JL sub and Tubbies to the M700.
I do have another pair of Tubbies (4 total) but I think it'll be overkill and take up too much headroom.
I'm just looking for optimal performance from all of my components.

Component specs:
Planet Audio AC1600.4 ANARCHY 1600-watts Full Range 4 Channel 2 Ohm Stable Amplifier
M700/5 - JL Audio 5-Channel Class D M-Series Marine Amplifier

4 - Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers
Power Handling: 60 Watts Continuous RMS
180 Watts Peak power handling
4-ohm impedance
1 - JL Audio 10 " White MX Series Infinite Baffle Marine Subwoofer
Power Handling: RMS: 175 watts
Impedance: 4 ohm
2 - Bazooka MT8002CHB 8-Inch Ma Tubbie Compression Horns (Tower)
Power Handling: Peak: 200 watts
RMS: 150 watts

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only input I have is be careful with your hearing! I bet it really rocks.

Great first post, :Welcome: aboard!

Mike Harris

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
OK. Threw together a diagram. My thoughts or questions are:
#1. I will need to go with 1/0 gauge?
#2. I will need to go to 150 amp fuse from battery?
#3. Am I under-powering the Polk speakers? Is it better to run 2 in series/channel? (5.4ohms)
#4. Am I taxing the amplifiers in the shown configuration?
dual amp wiring small.jpg
I have read up on this stuff. Some of it makes sense but, I guess I am just not putting it all together. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ......

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
4 maybe 6 would be fine. Your battery cable is probably 6. Speakers don't draw THAT much continuous amperage. Your house is wired with 14g solid core and that's 120 volts not 12 with mostly 15 amp breakers. A 50 amp fuse is more than enough. Think about your home stereo. Mine puts out 1600 watts and I'm plugging it in to the wall with 16 Guage. OK I just checked. My home amp at full power will draw 10.5 amps. Your amps should say on them what their power draw is.