• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding Amplifier to power stock speakers (or replacements), mounting question

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a JBL 4 channel amplifier to give more power to the stock in cabin speakers (head unit is 20W RMS @ 4 ohms, new amp is 60W RMS @ 4 ohms) and eventually replace stock speakers with better power handling. We don't need to share our music with everyone on the lake, just want a little more for us, and we don't ski, so no one need to have their jams going to get into their surf zone.

As for mounting the amp. I was thinking I could use a piece of Starboard (stuff is spendy) or some plastic cutting board laying around (you bet the wife will miss it) to hold the amplifier securely and any other accessories that need a secure mounting point.

I have investigated where I would mount the board to, but question is the lower portion at the carpet, what is beneath that wedge hump of fiberglass? Safe to put a couple of anchor screws to hold the bottom edge of starboard or cutting board?

Also, any electronic/mobile sound folks out there can I.D. that connector from the head unit to the speaker wires? Molex? Phoenix? I want to cap off the speaker signal from the head-unit and use the speaker wires to the stock speakers. If I could find a 12-18" extension, I would have plenty of wire to cut, cap off the headunit side and run speaker drivepower from the amp and not have cut the existing wiring. That way I could put things back to stock if I ever sold the boat and wanted to retain items.

Inked20200402_155638_LI.jpg

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same amp (it's a good amp for the money), I mounted it above your picture.....there is a 1/2"-3/4 piece of composite already there on an angle.....you just need to tie up some of the wires out of the way. Plus if you put it there it will be out of the way and you don't need to worry about screwing into something bad.
I mounted the amp to a piece of PVC 3/4" trimboard / azek then screwed that onto the piece already there.
There is a stereo wire harness right in the picture....with about 10 wires of which 8 are the speaker wires you are looking for, I ran new wire to my speakers...but you could just cut them, cap off the ones from the stereo and splice 12"+ wires to the amp.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We bought a brand new SX210 last year and didn't want to just chop wires either. I tracked down the manufacturer to also talk about swim deck remote specs. While I was on the phone talking to the engineer, I bought a new connector. It was very inexpensive.

Zechbruder

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought a brand new SX210 last year and didn't want to just chop wires either. I tracked down the manufacturer to also talk about swim deck remote specs. While I was on the phone talking to the engineer, I bought a new connector. It was very inexpensive.
Thank you. I'll get with them.