• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Adding an amp

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got an 2013 AR240 and I bought a JLXD 700 amp to put in. For now, I'm not going to change the stock speakers or add a sub. I bought the tinned battery cable and Marine RCA cords. Fuse too. Is there anything else to think of to install the amp? What should I mount the amp too? I've read that its mounted to wood and then attached to the boat. I was going to place the amp in the compartment in front of the steering wheel where you can access the back of the radio. I'm going to stick with the stock HU for now because I think it will serve my needs. We aren't loud music people, mostly Culture Club and Banana Rama. And yes, that a joke. :)

I just bought a 6 channel amp along with an amp installation kit. There isn't much to the kit, just some leads, connectors and an inline fuse. Follow the directions, if any, of the amp when it comes to installation. Some need to be raised to cool properly others should not be mounted on carpet. This is where the need to put it on a board or feet comes in.

You can mount on a carpeted board, but like @Ronnie says, you need cooling behind the amp, so you want to stand it off the board to allow for cooling if it is carpeted. The XD or M 700/5 JL amp has feet that stands it off a board or backing but the carpet blocks it without some standoffs. I actually just added two nuts on the threads exiting the board, to allow the feet on the amp to set 1/4" off the carpet and that is sufficient.

Some have mounted the amp directly to the wall that the setbacks attach to, and others have mounted it to the wall that is under the helm instruments, but you will need a surface to attach all the wiring to provide strain relief and that is a main reason for mounting to a board, because you will have multiple attachments to the board for strain relief of the cabling and wiring. I think you have the Clarion HU/remote, and if it is working, that is sufficient and the 700/5 will add good power to your existing speakers. But if you don't have the Polk db651's (a speaker Yamaha went to for stock but don't know when), and instead the Seaworthy 100W (max), they won't last long, as it is a paper speaker. But the db is a great entry level speaker and will provide years of service life even if amplified.

You will probably have to "extend" the stock speaker wires if you use them (I did and will again), which means cutting them from the connector and soldering (and insulating)an extension to them so you can reach the amp with them. Otherwise, you have to run new speaker wire to each speaker in the boat.

Leave yourself about 5' of all the cable/wire that connects to the amp, so that you can remove the 4 connecting bolts or screws and pull the amp out of the compartment to make adjustments. The same with how you strain relief the wiring and cables, make it easy so you can cut tie wraps and get it out, and easy to reattach them.

You will love that amp, very efficient and clean!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Back