• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding bushings to steering deflector nozzle to increase precision (remove slop)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my 2007 SX230 and I believe many newer and older models the steering cable connects via a 1/4" stainless bolt that goes through a slightly over 5/16" hole in the aluminum deflector nozzle. I once saw a picture of I believe a first generation SX230 with plastic bushings inside the 5/16" hole. I was unable to find the part number for any Yamaha bushings so I decided to create my own.

I opted for PSF0305-04 flanged linear sleeve bearings. They came with a Frelon liner for self lubrication but I had to drill that out as a 3/16"x5/16"x1/2" bearing was as close as I could find so I drilled them out to 1/4". I purchased a two pack of these bearings for $9.52 shipped from Pacific Bearing on eBay. I added a small amount of grease inside and outside of the bearings when I installed them.

I considered self oiling bronze bushings. If I had a found a similar deal on them I probably would have gone that way. But with the similar materials and the bushing drilled out to a thin wall aluminum may be a better material.

After installation steering required little if any additional force compared to before.

This project took less than 30 minutes and cost less than $10.

Here is a video showing the reduced movement in the port jet which has had the bearing installed compared to the starboard which is in factory configuration.

These are the bearings as they came from the factory.

IMG_5647.jpg

This is the bearing on a drill press held by vice grips. I used blue tape to avoid scratching the outside of the bearing. The most challenging part is getting the vice grips to hold the bearing securely without damaging it. The bearing is offset in the vice grips so that the flange is resting flat on the wood. Then you drill slowly to avoid spinning the bearing.

IMG_5656.jpg

This is the bearing after drilling.

IMG_5659.jpg

You can see the new inner diameter compared to the old.

IMG_5653.jpg

In this photo you can see the gap between the 1/4" bolt and the 5/16" hole.

IMG_5670.jpg

The bearing fits perfectly in the hole.

IMG_5671.jpg

Now the 1/8" of slop is gone.

IMG_5672.jpg

Update after the first outing;

This mod rocks.

At speed I noticed the boat reacted much faster when I turned the wheel and that I was turning the wheel less to make the same turns that I have made many times in the past.

At low speed @Rana noticed much more precision loading her on the trailer.

This is a big win!

In 2020 I switched to using 3D printed bushings. They fit more tightly and work better. You can order those at https://jetboaters.net/forums/3d-printed-parts.118/

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The project makes my CDO heart sing (note, most people call it OCD, but I like it better in alphabetical order). But I will be very curious to see if it actually affects operation. Between water drag and the force of the jets, I would hazard a guess that even with the play in there the nozzle gets pulled/pushed as straight as possible (e.g. against one side of the slop most of the time and straight back when steering exactly straight).

Nicely documented. Anxious to see the water test results!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce ... another mod I'm gonna have to do to my boat now! What did u do behind the steering wheel where the cables connect? Tgat weird piece of metal is where u have a lot of my play. When I turn the wheel that piece of metal swings back and forth some. I'm not sure if it is suppose to. Sorry no pics. I can get some pics tomorrow if u don't know what I am talking about. I have often thought there were some missing bushings in it and that it maybe it shouldn't move. But depending on your water test I am gonna have to do the back too... sigh. .
:banghead:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What did u do behind the steering wheel where the cables connect?
Before I replaced the steering cables there was excess movement in the steering system in the console as it struggled to push and pull on the cables. After I replaced the cables at a cost of $300 and half a day that went away and I can steer with one finger. @Murf'n'surf had similar improvement after replacing his steering cables. Paraphrasing his comment, our boats went from old farm trucks to new Cadillacs.

When I removed the old steering cables I could barely move them. I was surprised that the steering system could. The new cables pushed and pulled easily by hand.

I replaced the reverse bucket cables at the same time. They were in similae condition. They cost $90 and added another two hours to the project. Now I can easily shift between forward and reverse to rotate the boat by simply rotating my hand.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Txs for the info... but u know u cause me to do so much freaking work to my boat.... if u had just said... nope.. that's normal then I wouldn't feel the need to change them this winter.. lol.. geezzz. I gotta talk to your wife about cutting off your budget untill I get caught back up!!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I gotta talk to your wife about cutting off your budget untill I get caught back up!!
Funny but @Rana really enjoys the improvement in steering and throttle control and she helped install the cables.

If I find a little spare time today I am going to modify the anchor locker to hold the new Fortress FX-7 anchor.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Although it makes modifying my boat alot easier due to your vast knowledge! ..
I just found other members posts documenting the cable replacement process then fumbled my way through it. The second cable is faster than the first because you have it figured out.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce
do you have fins on your boat?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ha. Guess I missed that.:oops:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's a great mod that I need to do. I had already replaced the bolt with a 1/4" SS bolt which tightens up the OEM plastic bushing a bit. I was just looking at doing that with the top and bottom nozzle bushings. Unfortunately the bushings I ordered were the same size 12mmx8mmx8mm as stock (oops). I wanted 13mmx8mmx8mm but ordered the wrong ones. The plan was to drill out the nozzle hole to 13mm (1/2") to remove the slop. I may also experiment with some 1/2" brass stock and drill an offset 8mm hole. Then a guy can remove the slop and vector the nozzles up or down a few degrees for low cost. Cam.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has got a built-in fridge, but NO freezer. :rolleyes:

Just saying.
--
Actually if you turn the temp control further to the right it becomes a freezer.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The question should be what is not on @Bruce 's boat ...
He has a complete stand up shower that store in the swim platform storage locker.. when he pulls it out its a complete shower... vanity.... mirror.... a sitting room with plush chairs... a tv and a few lamps... it all fold nice and need at and doesn't take up much room... :bored:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
He has a complete stand up shower that store in the swim platform storage locker.. when he pulls it out its a complete shower... vanity.... mirror.... a sitting room with plush chairs... a tv and a few lamps... it all fold nice and need at and doesn't take up much room... :bored:
Don't forget he's even got shag carpet in the sitting room:D