• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding NMEA 2000 Fuel Flow Sensors on 242?

madolfsson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since the CanBus information is proprietary on these boats, I am toying with the idea of adding some standalone NMEA 2000 sensors to get engine data on my MFD.

For RPM and the fuel tank, looks like I can use a https://nolandeng.com/rs11.php and splice into the CPS wire and fuel sender. I could also use the RS-11 to get monitor individual battery voltages.

It would also be nice to have Fuel Flow readouts on the MFD, but I am not sure if something like the Garmin GFS 10 would work (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/11561). Typically these are inserted before the fuel pump, but since ours are internal in the tank that is not possible. Any idea what the fuel pressure is in the fuel line?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was looking at diagram and its suppose to be after the filter coming out of Tank.

I'm toying with complete custom dash with flush mount for my new plotter.

With that installed and the gfs10 I'd only need tacos in each side for motors which would still give engine overhead issues ect.

I have a 2006 sx230

Jgonzalez114

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you ever get the garmin sensors installed? Looking to put two in my 2008 AR210 to get fuel flow data to my Echomap 74CV. I’m also concerned about where to connect the sensor. I want to do it in the engine compartment but don’t see room to safely place the sensor. Our fuel lines are pretty short as they come out of the fuel pumps and through the wall and right into the fuel rails. Thanks for any input.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed on both engines and love them. I installed it along the cockpit wall of engine compartment. Ran both wires same route the steering and throttle are ran.

Best money I've spent they have been accurate on fuel consumption when filling to .1th gallon.

Love that I can switch over to fuel page setting to see the gallons per hour burned at different rpms. When cruising long distances it helps me stay at most fuel efficient ranges.

It also shows you how big of an effect large chop/wind has on our boats and fuel consumption.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I installed on both engines and love them. I installed it along the cockpit wall of engine compartment. Ran both wires same route the steering and throttle are ran.

Best money I've spent they have been accurate on fuel consumption when filling to .1th gallon.

Love that I can switch over to fuel page setting to see the gallons per hour burned at different rpms. When cruising long distances it helps me stay at most fuel efficient ranges.

It also shows you how big of an effect large chop/wind has on our boats and fuel consumption.
A little different topic but similar...Do you have to reset your fuel level when filling up? Mine will not auto-reset and I always forget therefore never accurate.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A little different topic but similar...Do you have to reset your fuel level when filling up? Mine will not auto-reset and I always forget therefore never accurate.
Yes I made a shortcut to my fuel screen and it has tab to "reset to full" hit the button and it goes back to 45g taks 2 sec

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do the newer boats have a NMEA2K connection on back of connext screen? If so I'm wondering if you could swap out that screen with a plotter of choice and it would import the rpm engine warning ect.

If so could build small brace behind helm to hold connext but access anc see everything vital through plotter.

Can the data be extracted into nmea2k format but doesnt accept input from other devices.

Jgonzalez114

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

thank you for the reply. i think I’m going to get a pair and get them installed with the chartplotter project. i did read in the manuals that you can use the sensors to also read fuel tank levels by splicing into the positive on the fuel sender. did you try that and is the yamaha not compatible? i did read that it requires calibration points but would be cool for the Garmin to get fuel levels.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thank you for the reply. i think I’m going to get a pair and get them installed with the chartplotter project. i did read in the manuals that you can use the sensors to also read fuel tank levels by splicing into the positive on the fuel sender. did you try that and is the yamaha not compatible? i did read that it requires calibration points but would be cool for the Garmin to get fuel levels.
I started with it... the color combo coming out of sender and has a 5 prong plug and then Colorado change. I spoke to lead tech at local dealership and followed what I thought should be right colors to make it work so I didnt mess with it further.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Wisefam22 you cannot make such statements without pictures and some sort of write up!!!!
I hope you understand that this amounts to dereliction of duty, right?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Wisefam22 you cannot make such statements without pictures and some sort of write up!!!!
I hope you understand that this amounts to dereliction of duty, right?
I'll see what I can do, but to install they were super easy. Off to work now

Eamaybury

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am considering adding a fuel flow sensor to my 2010 242 Limited S since everything I have read said the codes are proprietary along the NEMA 2000 equivalent bus in our boats. I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way to make this happen is to set up my own NEMA 2000 bus and put redundant sensors that are NEMA 2000 compatible in the fuel tank and in the fuel flow to get me the critical fuel status information that I need to be able to see on my dash in something other than microscopic display format that the stock guages have.

Do you have any pictures of your installation of the fuel flow sensors on your engine?