• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adhesive for cracked door

mdownesx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2012 AR-240 HO that I bought used a couple years ago and the door that goes to the storage area on the port side of the boat is cracked. I am trying to find an adhesive or epoxy that would hold up to the conditions that the boat sees and be compatible to the material it is made out of. Anyone have any suggestions?

Attached is a photo of the door and you can see the crack near the upper hinge.

Attachments

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've had good luck with West System G Flex products on Acrylic/plastic like that. Check it out here: Repair Kit on Amazon

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I fixed my cracked Chey dually fender with "Goop" and I reinforced it with fiberglass screen mesh like you have on your windows at home.
It's been 8 years and it's still perfect.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not your question, but would you consider a brace made of starboard or a stainless or aluminum sheet on both sides? It would be quite difficult for me to use adhesive in a way that will look good after application

mdownesx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't exactly sure of the material for what adhesive to get so it would bind to the surfaces. Called Yamaha customer service and they were useless, they said it was plastic. I may try the West system adhesive, but my only concern is that I don't want it to flex at all. 3M makes a 5200 adhesive as well. Also thought about the stainless plate riveted. Appreciate all the advice and any other ideas.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The G Flex is great because it does have enough give in it to flex with the door. If you used thickened epoxy with cabosil or something similar then it would be too rigid and crack back out. Using a plate to span the crack and stabilize it would be a good idea too if you could make it work cosmetically. Me personally, I would take a small drill bit and drill at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, remove the door, blue tape the out side of the door in the crack area and fill with the G Flex from the inside and smooth it out as best as possible. I believe that would hold it together enough to keep any more cracking from happening.

mdownesx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not your question, but would you consider a brace made of starboard or a stainless or aluminum sheet on both sides? It would be quite difficult for me to use adhesive in a way that will look good after application
Hey Beachbummer - I tried the G Flex product some have mentioned and it didn't work. I think it last 2 trips and then the door broke again. I think your suggestion would be good. Any idea of where I can get stainless sheet metal? I have some galvanized metal but I would rather use stainless.

I attached a picture of how the repair went - you can see the G-flex.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No idea beyond flashing sold at the hardware store