• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adjustable hitches?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone use these? My dad has a fancy aluminum type one for his big ass equipment trailer on his ram, but I was thinking it'd be useful for us having a lowered tbss and a not lowered much larger expedition, lol.

Was looking at one like this, any thoughts? Some of the other off brands have ones that appear to be aluminum as well, and ones with yellow sinx coated parts.

Limited-time deal: MaxxHaul 70380 Black/Chrome Adjust Dual Ball Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SL2STMU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_i_dl_R4M67S4EC3V58FB5TS7E

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve seen very long aluminum drop ones on super lifted trucks so they must be strong.
They look like they’d snap right off.

ilikejets

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If your expedition is not lifted that one might be too long. I have a leveled ram 1500 and went with a shorter adjustable one found at harbor freight because the first one was tool long and scrapped the ground going over a dip.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The expedition is my wife's, so it's bone stock. The tbss sits at 32". It's not quite as low as my Colorado that needed a decent lift from the hitch, but I suspect it will need to be flat at a minimum.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I still ran a drop hitch on my TBSS. Even with the 2in beltech drop on it. I'll dig up a pic.

Weighsafe makes a REALLY nice drop hitch. Let's you measure tongue weight as well in real-time. @swatski uses one and that dude doesn't cut any corners so you know it's good stuff.

*Edit* Found a pic. Looks like a 2in drop. Not much space under it though to put one of those long aluminum armed pieces though.
20170506_144314.jpg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dad has a weighsafe I think. He likes the built in scale so he can make sure the tongue weight for his equipment trailer is set right. Just seems a bit overkill for my use though.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I still ran a drop hitch on my TBSS. Even with the 2in beltech drop on it. I'll dig up a pic.

Weighsafe makes a REALLY nice drop hitch. Let's you measure tongue weight as well in real-time. @swatski uses one and that dude doesn't cut any corners so you know it's good stuff.

*Edit* Found a pic. Looks like a 2in drop. Not much space under it though to put one of those long aluminum armed pieces though.
View attachment 175609
That hitch is the best I've ever had.
However, I don't recall the last time I ever looked at the scale, if ever, so I can not vouch for the scale. I don't know if I would trust it anyway, I just drive to get a feel - would be the best I know to tell if I feel safe towing a particular combo. We used it with our Parker and it is a pretty heavy boat.
This hitch is extremely well built and impressively adjustable - although one may need to flip it for maximum range - I do that when I use it in the regular rear hitch receiver vs the front one (the front hitch is mounted really low onto the truck frame below the front axle, so it needs a lot of lift in height to match with the trailer coupler).

Here is the front-flipped version for maximum lift:
1649989064541.png

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you considered the B&W tow and stow hitch? It's the ones we sell, and they're great quality also. Not dissing other brands, there are several great ones out there, but these are a bit less expensive than some.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a Ford F-350 Turbo Diesel and I have used the Weigh Safe hitches for years. They are strong enough to handle anything you would want to tow. I had a 5 horse bumper pull trailer before I went to a goosneck. They are easy to adjust and it is great to have the different size balls. The only down side is that you need to have the ground clearance to use them, otherwise you buy an expensive hitch and can't use the full capabillity. They also come with a key locking system that helps to prevent theft.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 5” drop/rise B/W Stow and go, I love it! I wanted one hitch for everything and be able to use on my 2500 and the wife’s Tahoe.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
+1 in the B&W Stow and Tow. I have the three ball 7” drop on a Yukon and 2500 Denali and can even flip it upside down for enough rise to put it on my wife’s Terrain to pull the Jet ski. Made all of my other ball mounts obsolete.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly, I've never even seen that stow and go thing before. Kinda neat. The stowing part isn't that useful for me, we aren't gonna leave the hitch installed. Still, if it's quality, that's probably more important.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, I've never even seen that stow and go thing before. Kinda neat. The stowing part isn't that useful for me, we aren't gonna leave the hitch installed. Still, if it's quality, that's probably more important.
Mine stays on my truck all the time. Not that I use it often but I’d rather it be there than sitting in the garage somewhere. That’s why I like the ability to tuck my balls away so they aren’t getting kicked while sticking out😁
In my opinion, you can’t beat B&W quality, I also have a B&W turnover ball setup and a B&W fifth wheel hitch that utilizes the turnover ball.

Seno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Weigh safe has a very nice and somewhat affordable (considering you get what you pay for), all aluminum drop hitch that I use. It was about $225, 10” adjustability, 2.5” receiver with 18K towing capabilities. I believe it’s the same one that “swatski” has pictured above except in the 2.5” version, and obviously receiver size will go by what your working with.

gmac03

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you considered the B&W tow and stow hitch? It's the ones we sell, and they're great quality also. Not dissing other brands, there are several great ones out there, but these are a bit less expensive than some.

I have a B&W, very nice.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Question for those who have the adjustable mounts. How many trailers do you pull? Do all of your trailers have the same ball size? How often do you actually change the height?

SDAnderson51

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use 2" and 2 5/16". Switch between Horse Trailer, Boat, Flatbed Trailer. Different Height for each. I have some friends who have various trailers so the height gets changed farily often.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Boat, side by side/utility flatbed, jet ski, small utility trailer, car carrier.

I have the B&W 7” drop with all three balls. Most of the trailers listed above have a different tongue hight and use either the 2 or 2 5/16 inch ball. Depending on the season I change config quite a bit. The nice thing about it is I always have the right ball and the right tongue hight with me wherever I go.

It even fits my next trailer or my buddies trailer. You will never need to buy anything else.