• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adventures in boat ownership - continues!

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For those of you who have read and replied to my Just bought Yamaha Jet Boat thread know that I purchased a 2013 Yamaha 212x from eBay sight unseen and had to hire someone from uShip to get it delivered to my home. Despite some who thought I may have gotten scammed I did received a like new boat with 15 hours for what I believe was very good price. Since then my family and I have been taking the boat out at least once every week and enjoying the boat ownership.

Well now my boat ownership adventure continues with new chapter. I officially started addition to my garage to be able to store my boat. In addition to storing the boat for the winter, new addition will also allow me to get off my HOA's naughty list by being able to get the boat off my driveway between uses during the summer. I originally started this journey with a contractor who's initial estimate of ~$50/sq. ft. (which I was ok with) came in at ~$125/sq. ft. after taking few weeks to talk to his crew. Not sure why his initial estimate and final estimate was so far apart because there wasn't any big changes to my addition plans. Needless to say now I'm on my own on this journey. After scouring the craigslist for trustworthy contractor with reasonable rates, excavation and foundation is about to start this coming week followed by demolition of existing brick front, framing for new double garage with 18'x8' entry and matching brick front for the new addition.

Plan is to have my foundation contractor excavate and make the foundation using poured walls and tie it into the existing 3rd stall. Then my brick contractor will come and remove rest of the brick from the existing 3rd garage so my dad and I can demo and frame the new addition. My foundation contractor will come back to complete the floor & apron. My dad and I will probably do the electrical, drywall, painting, roofing and siding as well. Only other contractor I may need is for the blown insulation although I'm still considering contracting out the framing and other parts depending on rate.

Hopefully I will have my garage completed in next month or so. Wish me luck! If anyone has residential construction background and willing to offer advice, let me know! :happy:

Last edited:

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
That's an expensive boat. Lol

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes it is! :) But I really wanted to add on to my garage any way (even before I bought the boat) since I really want a work area with tools & extra storage. To accommodate the boat I'm making the entry 18'x8' and making the depth 24' otherwise I would have done the addition without those.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent. I'm planning the same thing for the winter here. I want to add another 2 car garage onto our home. At the same time I'd like to change our current garage to an arched door header. Cant wait to see the progress. :thumbsup:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love you're plan @dansshin and am vary envious. Only thing that I see at the surface level is that I would try to go a few feet deeper than 24' and possibly a taller door. But I'm only saying that in case you ever wanted a bigger boat or RV & I have no idea if that's possible with your situation. But as I said, I wish I could fit an extra bay of garage in my future plans too, but I don't have the space ;(

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@njmr2fan My foundation contractor thinks foundation would be done by Tuesday if weather cooperates. I'll post pictures as it progresses. I have to order trusses this week too as it sounds like that could take 3 weeks to be delivered.

@itsdgm Originally I thought about 9' door as I do have the space above for it. I think going deeper than 24' would add a lot more cost as it's walkout lot that slopes very deeply. I don't think I'll be going to anything larger than the 212x as it will require different tow rig than our MDX and if I have to buy new bigger truck just to pull a larger boat then I would really feel like it's very expensive boat, LOL! I think I would be content with 16'x24' addition which should give me enough space for the 212x, work area with tool cabinets and organized storage.

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you fit the boat and trailer in 24'? Can you even walk around it if you do?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our garage is 24 feet deep and our 210 fits in it with the trailer tongue folded and basically right up against the door. That leaves about 18" to walk behind the boat. It's pretty tight.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce based on the 2013 Yamaha brochure, 212x has length of 22'3" on trailer with tongue folded. I think I can also store it bit diagonally if needed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is that 24' an inside or outside dimension? If outside does it include the brick?

The plans above show it as outside. So you have less than 23' inside. And the garage door will take up some of that.

I do not believe that it will fit. Best case scenario it fits if you park just perfectly.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It was supposed to be 24' inside. I'll have to ask my foundation contractor to make it 24' and have architect update the drawing.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even with 24' inside I believe you will be wishing that you had more.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I may wish for more but only get what I can afford! ;) I wish I had known that 24' was outside to outside earlier.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It's weird how my architect drew this. For the 16' width he is going from inside to outside but for 24' he is going outside to outside. Didn't notice this detail before.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your boat has the wakeboard tower? I suggest you measure the boat height at its highest point with the tower down. I don't think an 8' door is going to work. I'm having a storage building built for my AR240 and my door height will be 10'. The contractor and I measured my boat with the tower down on the trailer and it was about 8'6" to the highest point on the boat. The highest point was not where the tower folds but futher back. My garage is 26' deep and with the trailer tounge folded, it has less than a foot front and back clearance. My advice is have your contractor and you, measure the boat together and make sure what you are building will fit your boat. You might try searching this topic on this site.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw a video made by Jetboat Pilot and he measured the height of 212x to be 7'9". Unless you have tower speaker tower pivot shoukd be the highest point. I also saw the spec from Yamaha and 8' entry should work.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plans are typically drawn from outside to outside. The exiting wall of your current garage makes up most of one wall of the new structure. I believe that is why the 16' width is inside to outside. Looking at the plans on a computer I believe that his dimensions include the brick. That means that you actually end up with approximately 22'x15' inside.

Will there be a door from this new garage section into the existing garage? Will the boat placement or car on the other side of the wall interfere with using that door?

I do not understand why this would cost anything more then $50 a square foot. I would expect less without the general contractor as long as you do not make expensive mistakes. It is simply three walls with a garage door, footers underneath, a 384 square foot slab, partial brick and a roof extension.

Trying to work out comparable costs from my house build.

Footers ~60 linear feet $600
4" Slab 384 square feet $1,920
Wall material and insulation @ $4.50 a square foot $2,430
9 roof trusses $1800
2 X 12"x16' LVL header $180
I do not see them in the drawing
but you probably want more LVLs
over the garage door so another $180
Full brick covering at $5 a square foot $2,700
18x8 garage door $2,000

I have left out;

The roof plywood, shingle and labor costs.
Electrical, per code 6 outlets on a single circuit with GFCI protection.
Lights, I would use 8 to 12 can lights at a cost of around $10 each and place a switch near each door.

That totals $11,810 or $30.76 per square foot.

But you are about to make the single biggest mistake that you could which is building a garage that your boat will not fit in.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Please listen to these guys! I just built a 32 foot deep barn and I can't fit a work bench in. Need more space than you think.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Bigger is always better......

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce Thank you for your information. I talked to city, my architect and my foundation guy and we are building it to be 26' outside to outside. Per my architect this should give me 25' space inside.

I'm amazed at your cost estimate. I would love to have my cost come out at your number but so far this is what I know from cost that I have from my contractors.

$9000 for excavation, poured foundation, 16'x26' 4" garage floor, 8' x 16' apron, slab for service door.

$5000 for removing existing brick and installing matching brick to new addition.

I don't have other costs yet as I'm still trying to get the lumber and trusses ordered yet. But I'm guessing I would be close to $25k - $30k which is way better than final estimate from my first general contractor which came in at ~$50k.

I wish I could have it built for your price!