• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice for Noob, Docking and Maneuvering

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello all,

Brand new to the jet boat world, starting off with a 215HO. Took the boat out for a couple weekends and already hit my 10 hours, so needless to say, I've been enjoying it! :)

I have a question though for all you experienced Jet Boaters. Maybe this is kind of ridiculous, but I have no problem bringing the boat into the dock, but can't figure out how to leave the dock... Seeing as the boats pivot point is practically the center of the boat when turning, I can't find a way to leave the dock without risk of having the back of the boat coming into contact with the dock. I've been having someone either sit on the stern to push away from the dock as I turn, or before we set off, have someone push the boat out sideways/parallel as hard as they can and jump on. This gets me far enough away from the dock so I can start my turn.

If you're having a hard time understanding my explanation, I drew a quick diagram of the situation I'm in. I haven't tried reversing out of it yet, but I would assume it would be the same issue.

Can anyone share any advice for the novice???
Dock Boat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Complete instructional youtube video here.
Hope this helps you.

Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice diagram....in that specific instance as you have pictured, I would turn the wheel left, blip the throttle in reverse just to get the boat to pull away from the dock..should give you room to slowly move forward away from the dock.
That will work if there is no breeze.....if its blowing from starboard you obviously have it made, but if it's from port it's pushing you against the dock and another body is your best bet to push your bow out so you can power away from the dock. :cool:

(there's always more than one way to skin a cat)

Apologies to cat lovers

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure if the length of the dock on the bottom on the L, but if you have more than I person on board, I'd reverse out vs forward. Push the rear off and have someone hold a bow line so you don't back into the bottom dock and turn wheel hard left and put in reverse. The bow line will allow you to pivot until you can straighten the wheel and apply more power.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Appreciate the tips everyone. And Glassman, it just so happens the positioning of the dock is always down wind, so that's part of the reason pulling in is so easy. It's getting out fighting that wind that makes it tough :)

There's definitely a learning curve to these jetboats over your standard I/O

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shoot, I hope I don't look like a tool untying the boat once everyones in, giving it a shove off the dock and then swinging myself in... I thought thats how it was supposed to be done. Thanks @JusFlyinBy for making me feel more critical of myself...:eek:

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Shoot, I hope I don't look like a tool untying the boat once everyones in, giving it a shove off the dock and then swinging myself in... I thought thats how it was supposed to be done. Thanks @JusFlyinBy for making me feel more critical of myself...:eek:
Naah, there's nothing wrong with pushing the boat out. I'm just trying to learn how to make this happen without having to ask those of my boat-clueless friends and family to risk falling in the water while making a death defying leap to the boat. :confused:

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This is similar to my first slip at my marina, a couple opinions for you:

1. I know your getting used to your boat, but you could try backing it in. I started backing my boat into my slip and it made pulling out much easier. The dock being down wind will help with this. Where this boat shines is that it can pivot on itself and do 360 degree turns in neutral. I would go in bow first, give myself enough space to pivot around in neutral so the transom is facing your launch and the just finish it off with a touch of reverse.

2. I've seen this done. You could tie off a fender to the dock that's got a larger diameter than what you'd normally use on the boat. Tie it off once for the season so to speak, not each time you go out. Ensure the fender placement is right at the end of your swim deck and then use the fender to gently push off of while the bow turns around. You can't really do this with fender on the rear cleat of the boat becuase it's not far back enough to protect your swim deck.

3. Not sure if the dock proportions are right, but can you tie off to the inside of the lower dock, it would be much easer to just back out straight that way?

4. If you are in neutral, you may notice that the boat propells itself forward a little bit . On my boat, I use this in conjunction with quick, short, left right touches of the stearing wheel and it will bring me in parallel to a dock. You can use that technique in forward or reverse to create distance enough away from the endge of your dock so you can pivot around in neutral.

5. Lastly, I think it was already mentioned. Get good at shifting in forward and reverse and using the throttle to manipulate the boat. Then, backup to the other dock, go forward while pulling a bit to the left, then back and forward again until you can make enough space to swing that bow around to clear the dock. I have a feeling if you back it up all the way, and then swing hard to the left you will make enough room to make the turn.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions Robert. Just going to have to try all these methods until I find one that works best. Practice makes perfect right? Unfortunately for number 3, my image is misleading. That L shaped portion is really full of other boats parked at their slips, so no room for me.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The thing is, even an I/O will suffer and not have any authority to deal with the situation you portrait moreso than your jet boat. But being new to the jet boat, you just haven't yet acquired the ability to predict what it is going to do yet. You will! So practice makes perfect. Plenty of recommendations here and many will work. Some will work better than others. Getting away from the dock to allow room to pivot from the pictured position is the key. I will almost always push off from a parallel parking position first, then turn. I try not to get the stern near the dock as a crew member can more safely and easily push us away at the bow. But the easiest way out of that with a wind against the dock for me, is this.
1. Push the bow out nicely so I have about 30-45 degrees to move forward.
2. Move forward idle away wheel centered from the dock at 30-45 degrees allowing at least 3 or 4 feet behind the boat to the dock.
3. Reverse idle with wheel starboard to pull the back over a few more degrees without encroaching on the dock by less than a foot or two.
4. Forward idle with wheel port to increase rotation counter clockwise.
5. Reverse idle with wheel starboard to further increase rotation counter clockwise.
6. Once you have direction toward open water and stern clearance, move to open water.

One thing that gets you in these boats is battling a bad position. Take what it gives you and work with it. No harm in a push off, that is what most boats will do or have to do. One of these days, maybe we will have joystick control!

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks txav8r. My goal is to be the envy of the marina :D

Chris Simpson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I get my wife to push us out from the dock with a boat hook. This gets us away from the dock by 6 to 8 feet where gentle application of the throttle allows us to pivot away from the dock without hitting it. The boat hook is aluminium and very light. Its length is also adjustable. It normally lives in the ski locker.

This obviates the need for a death defying leap from dock to boat, as everyone is already aboard prior to pushing off.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My goal is a lot simpler than @JusFlyinBy , I just want to make sure I'm not the fool of the marina