• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Advice from Scarab owners needed...

dwillson

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Little background...I have owned the following boats in order.

2001 Regal GSR-2100 (reason I will never buy an older boat again - nickel and dime'd me with repairs and ended up costing more than a new boat)
2017 Yamaha AR195 (only sold this because it was a little small)
Ordered 21 foot Yamaha both in 2020 an 2021 model years and neither was built
2018 Cobalt 200s (purchased this summer 2020 because I didn't want to go last summer without a boat due to Yamaha order not coming in) sold last fall in preparation for my latest Yamaha order (which wasn't built)

Now I own a Scarab 215 ID with twin 250hp engines. I purchased this boat from a local dealer her in Michigan. It was supposed to be a dealer demo but they sold it because of the shortage. I happened to call them the day it came in (before they had advertised it as for sale), that is the only reason it was available. I immediately put a deposit on it as I didn't want to go a summer without a boat, and I have to admit it is a very good looking boat and seems to have plenty of power.

A couple minor annoying experiences with the Scarab since I have owned it...all of which are being immediately addressed by the dealer with no issues. No mechanical or electrical issues. Cover tore during first tow trip, and carpet in back comes unsnapped when towing without a cover (almost lost it). Just minor annoyances.

Some things I like better about the Scarab versus the Yamaha so far:

Power - while my Scarab is not broken in yet, with twin 250's I am pretty sure it will have more power than the Yamaha I was going to buy (212 SD)
Swim platform - Scarab platform is much bigger than the 21' Yamaha. It is actually very nice to have more floor space on the swim deck when you go out with kids and whatnot. The rear facing seat bottoms are
Trailer - Scarab trailer is higher quality than the Yamaha trailer. My Yamaha would not seat on the ball unless you had it lined up absolutely perfectly. Could be extremely frustrating at times. Scarab trailer is much more forgiving. Also love the automatic retracting rear tie-downs that are fixed to the trailer.
Neutral - true neutral in Scarab is a very big advantage
Captains Chairs - MUCH better in the Scarab. Plus, both have flip up bolsters. Yamaha only has flip up bolster on driver chair. We ride 99% of the time with bolsters up.
Throttle - Controlling both engines with one throttle on the Scarab is handy when you have a true neutral. I have never owned a twin engine Yamaha but I know they have two throttles. Maybe they need it more, but it is one less thing to worry about with the scarab.

Things I like better about Yamaha:

I like the shape/styling of the Yamahas overall better than Scarab. This is preference...I just like the look of the Yamaha better. I like simpler classy styling versus the more sporty/aggressive looking Scarab. Keep in mind I am not looking at and "AR" Yamaha...I am looking at 212 S/SE/SD. I already removed the sporty graphics on the side of my Scarab and replaced with simpler raised chrome lettering on the side. Also added a chrome Scarab logo on the side with the lettering.

Rear seat backs - My Scarab does not have the versa deck (I wish it did), so I have the seats the tip back and forth. Seems like a good idea; however when you have people sitting on both sides it is awkward as they have to jockey for who gets the recline function. I like that Yamaha just has fixed seat backs for both sides of the rear seat backs.

Toss up between the two - Tower. Not sure which tower style I like better. I do know the Yamaha tower is much more difficult and awkward to put down. I cannot decide which style I like better so far.

I am just looking for some advice from current Scarab owners regarding the durability of the boat, both mechanically and astetics. How does the interior hold up? How does the gelcoat hold up (particularly on the darker colors)? Any problems you have run across? Any other advice for a new Scarab owner?

Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImagekKYKiS.png
    tempImagekKYKiS.png
    17 MB · Views: 41
I have a black 165. Gel coat is perfectly fine... like any boat. You do have to maintain it... like any boat.

Mechanically speaking, keep on top of things as you have to with any boat. I have over 190h on mine, mechanically, performing perfectly. But I do my own maintenance when it's needed. Plugs, oil, filter, impeller greasing, o-ring inspection on the pump, check hose clamps, etc. It's been pretty rock solid assuming you check and do this.

As for the interior, my little 165 is good, but one seat started having its stitching come undone since many people tend to walk on it all the time. I did my best at fixing it. A few nicks in the vinyl. My biggest complaint of the interior are the various screws (not bolts) that come undone over time due to vibrations, thermal changes, etc. But that probably applies to all screws on boats in fiberglass. I'd recommend you go around and check them once a season.

When towing on highways, you really need to make sure nothing is loose, cover installed tightly, biminis, etc. have to be properly stowed so that nothing flaps. Make sure nothing is rubbing.

I also considered Yamaha but needed a small boat that they didn't offer. Scarab to the rescue. I'm very happy with my boat overall.

I have a black 165. Gel coat is perfectly fine... like any boat. You do have to maintain it... like any boat.

Mechanically speaking, keep on top of things as you have to with any boat. I have over 190h on mine, mechanically, performing perfectly. But I do my own maintenance when it's needed. Plugs, oil, filter, impeller greasing, o-ring inspection on the pump, check hose clamps, etc. It's been pretty rock solid assuming you check and do this.

As for the interior, my little 165 is good, but one seat started having its stitching come undone since many people tend to walk on it all the time. I did my best at fixing it. A few nicks in the vinyl. My biggest complaint of the interior are the various screws (not bolts) that come undone over time due to vibrations, thermal changes, etc. But that probably applies to all screws on boats in fiberglass. I'd recommend you go around and check them once a season.

When towing on highways, you really need to make sure nothing is loose, cover installed tightly, biminis, etc. have to be properly stowed so that nothing flaps. Make sure nothing is rubbing.

I also considered Yamaha but needed a small boat that they didn't offer. Scarab to the rescue. I'm very happy with my boat overall.
Thanks for the advice and taking time to respond! I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing. For those having issues with the Yamaha trailer coupling, and it being a pain to get the ball to set, you can adjust this by loosening the big nylon lock nut under the locking mechanism. It's not supposed to be this tight. Half a turn out will take the misery out of the process. I suffered for a year before adjusting. One year too long.

Thanks for sharing. For those having issues with the Yamaha trailer coupling, and it being a pain to get the ball to set, you can adjust this by loosening the big nylon lock nut under the locking mechanism. It's not supposed to be this tight. Half a turn out will take the misery out of the process. I suffered for a year before adjusting. One year too long.
That would have been super helpful when I had my Yamaha! Haha. Thanks!

I think you need to get out of that boat as fast as you can and I'll gladly help remove this burden from you at a very fair price.

I think you need to get out of that boat as fast as you can and I'll gladly help remove this burden from you at a very fair price.
Haha...how do you like your Yamaha?

What are you calling True neutral in the Scarab? I think it's just better adjusted that the boat doesn't move per se, but the pump is still churning right?

From my understanding the pump is still churning, water is just directed differently in the Scarab and the boat doesn't move unless blown in a direction. From my memory the Yamaha still creeps forward in Neutral. Is that correct? So I have already noticed when waiting in a line to pull the boat out at the end of the day I don't have to do donuts. The boat just sits still. I could be wrong on this.

Yamahas and Scarabs can both achieve true neutral. The problem is that it's not correctly adjusted on many boats. Newer versions of Scarabs also allow you to adjust this digitally in the menu options, but older ones can be adjusted too via manually adjust the cable nut.

To add, the big advantage of Scarabs wrt to the bucket is the shape of it for turning. It allows you to turn, even with a single engine, while in neutral, reverse or forward of course. There is no difference. No rudders necessary and no momentum necessary.

Welcome to the Scarab club! You have come to the right place to get good information. The Facebook page gets lots of traffic, but also a lot of Trolls.
I have a 2015 215 with 250's, and have put close to 100 hours on each engine. No problems whatsoever with the engines or pumps. This will be my second season keeping it in a slip, so it is wet all the time, and no issues whatsoever with water intrusion. Like almost all others, I have had some annoyances such as bolts/screws loosening over time and noisy vibrating things inside the tower. All these annoyances have been very minor, and to be quite honest, I've enjoyed finding and fixing them. My previous boat was an older I/O, and it was constant tinkering to keep it running. Engine problems, outdrive problems, prop problems, wood rotting problems....you name it I dealt with it. I doubt I will ever go back to an I/O.
I had originally planned on a Yamaha, but by the time I got around to calling to make an offer on it, it had sold.
My reverse buckets are controlled manually via the throttle lever, so I have not experienced any of the "reverse module" low-voltage issues that others have. Best practice is to install a battery tender and keep it plugged in whenever you aren't using the boat to make sure your battery is in tip-top shape. Hose clamps on any engine plumbing should be checked with some regularity. I clean and protect all the vinyl with 303 a couple of times a year as necessary, and it is like new...for real...the stuff is incredible. Between my teenage kids, wife, dogs, guests and myself walking all over the seats, we have yet to cause any damage. I have experienced the carpet snaps coming off at highway speeds...not cool. One of my 2022 winter projects is to install Corinthian Marine Aqua-Mat (not glued-on hydroturf) and put in a few extra snaps. The carpets are starting to fade and show their age.
I think that as long as you are realistic with respect to expectations, you will be very happy. Given your previous boat ownership experience, you should be quite happy with it. It sounds like you have a responsive dealer/shop, which is really good.
I like the blue...cool color. Post some pics out on the water!

Yamahas and Scarabs can both achieve true neutral. The problem is that it's not correctly adjusted on many boats. Newer versions of Scarabs also allow you to adjust this digitally in the menu options, but older ones can be adjusted too via manually adjust the cable nut.
I don't think I will be able to get true neutral out of mine. The bucket doesn't lock when up but the boat creeps forward while idling.

I don't think I will be able to get true neutral out of mine. The bucket doesn't lock when up but the boat creeps forward while idling.
Yep, in that case, you won't be able to achieve it. Out of curiosity, have you checked the bolt position under your jet nozzle? If you look underneath it, you'll notice the bolt sits in a bushing that has two positions. In one position, the nozzle points higher up, in the other position, it points down. Can you check to see what position it's in? Aka, if you did rotate the bushing, what would happen to your nozzle? Go up? Or down?

I ask because mine was set to be DOWN when I got it (slightly used at 22h). I suspect the previous owner changed it. But that was contrary to what Scarab manufacturing does. When the nozzle points down, it's impossible to get true neutral AND latch the bucket in the up position. But when I swapped the bushing around, nozzle went UP and suddenly I had no issues achieving both.

Yep, in that case, you won't be able to achieve it. Out of curiosity, have you checked the bolt position under your jet nozzle? If you look underneath it, you'll notice the bolt sits in a bushing that has two positions. In one position, the nozzle points higher up, in the other position, it points down. Can you check to see what position it's in? Aka, if you did rotate the bushing, what would happen to your nozzle? Go up? Or down?

I ask because mine was set to be DOWN when I got it (slightly used at 22h). I suspect the previous owner changed it. But that was contrary to what Scarab manufacturing does. When the nozzle points down, it's impossible to get true neutral AND latch the bucket in the up position. But when I swapped the bushing around, nozzle went UP and suddenly I had no issues achieving both.

I will check that for sure. Is it the bottom bolt that allows the nozzle to go side to side? Does it spray more water up if it's in the up position? Just wondering why it may have been adjusted.

I noticed when we bought the boat that something back there had been messed with. The cotter pin on the cable holder was previously taken out and the locknut on the end of the cable wasn't threaded on all the way.

Yes, that's the one. There's one on the top and one on the bottom. The difference is that bushing/sleeve for the bottom one. To change it, it's just a matter of pulling off the bottom bolt, take the bushing out, flip it 180 deg and put it back in. BUT of course that means changing your bucket to match it to maintain neutral.

As for spray or differences, honestly, I couldn't tell. It probably does make a difference, but it was imperceptible in every manner. I suspect they did this on mine to try and reduce porpoising which the 165 is prone to. But even for that, I can't even tell the difference.

I realized this when my bucket, one random outing, came down while at speed. The boat stopped as if I had thrown an anchor out. Water came over top of us all over and flooded the boat. We were in shock and didn't know what had happened. It was because the bucket wasn't latching and I didn't realize it because of this adjustment. It's unlikely to come down, but it CAN come down. Someone else recently posted that their bucket ripped clean off. The metal literally sheared and they lost their bucket.

IF your nozzle is indeed pointing down, I recommend you change it and adjust the bucket accordingly. But many don't have the bucket latching. It isn't a problem until it is. lol

If somebody messed around with it, I bet you this is why your bucket isn't latching, just like mine.

Welcome to the Scarab club! You have come to the right place to get good information. The Facebook page gets lots of traffic, but also a lot of Trolls.
I have a 2015 215 with 250's, and have put close to 100 hours on each engine. No problems whatsoever with the engines or pumps. This will be my second season keeping it in a slip, so it is wet all the time, and no issues whatsoever with water intrusion. Like almost all others, I have had some annoyances such as bolts/screws loosening over time and noisy vibrating things inside the tower. All these annoyances have been very minor, and to be quite honest, I've enjoyed finding and fixing them. My previous boat was an older I/O, and it was constant tinkering to keep it running. Engine problems, outdrive problems, prop problems, wood rotting problems....you name it I dealt with it. I doubt I will ever go back to an I/O.
I had originally planned on a Yamaha, but by the time I got around to calling to make an offer on it, it had sold.
My reverse buckets are controlled manually via the throttle lever, so I have not experienced any of the "reverse module" low-voltage issues that others have. Best practice is to install a battery tender and keep it plugged in whenever you aren't using the boat to make sure your battery is in tip-top shape. Hose clamps on any engine plumbing should be checked with some regularity. I clean and protect all the vinyl with 303 a couple of times a year as necessary, and it is like new...for real...the stuff is incredible. Between my teenage kids, wife, dogs, guests and myself walking all over the seats, we have yet to cause any damage. I have experienced the carpet snaps coming off at highway speeds...not cool. One of my 2022 winter projects is to install Corinthian Marine Aqua-Mat (not glued-on hydroturf) and put in a few extra snaps. The carpets are starting to fade and show their age.
I think that as long as you are realistic with respect to expectations, you will be very happy. Given your previous boat ownership experience, you should be quite happy with it. It sounds like you have a responsive dealer/shop, which is really good.
I like the blue...cool color. Post some pics out on the water!
Thank for taking the time to respond. This kind of info helps a lot. I have a tendency to make hasty decisions. I think I need to just hang on to this boat and let it win me over.

Anyone have an recommendations for a ski locker that doesn't drain? For one, they drilled the hole in the rear of the locker about 1" to 1.5" higher than the bottom of the locker. So it doesn't appear it will even start draining until the water level is at least that high. Seems kind of stupid...unless I am missing something. Even at that, I have had water well over the top of the drain hole and it doesn't go anywhere.

It definitely IS supposed to drain. lol Spray some water in there to flush out whatever is blocking it.

As for the design, agreed... not the best. They probably have a reason.... probably not a great one. lol

It definitely IS supposed to drain. lol Spray some water in there to flush out whatever is blocking it.

As for the design, agreed... not the best. They probably have a reason.... probably not a great one. lol
Thanks. I will give that a try.

Back