• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AFFORDABLE 212X Ballast Upgrade

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am going to chronicle my ballast mod and upgrade on my new 212X. What my current plan is to modify the existing set up and go from there. For example, making it selectable to fill one bag for surf or both for wake. The first piece of my puzzle was the design and analyzing of what the boat came with and how my plans are to use it. Since I do not want to add another pump at this time, I am adding an electric ball valve to the starboard tank since I am only setting my boat up to surf on the port side (normal) with a single wedge. Since our system comes with a built in timer I wanted to make sure I do not have to fool with it (though I am increasing the fill time for more ballast for wake boarding. So to combat the excessive fill time when filling only one bag it needs to be vented and after doing some research I have found a successful way to cut a vent into the bags. Worse case scenario if I decide to get a custom bag made for the port side it will just be a matter of switching the fittings, all of the plumbing will be in place.

As an important note, it is very important for me to make this look like it came form the factory that way, don't ask me why, just a pet peeve of mine on things like this. So hopefully the execution meets my desired results.

So far parts list and cost:
1 DPST (on-on) custom rocker switch - $18.00 - OTRATTW
1 SS 3/4" 12vdc Full Flow Ball Valve - $30.00 - AMAZON
15' of marine grade 16awg 3 conductor wire - $20.00 - WEST MARINE
1 - 3/4" chrome plated through hull fitting - $7.00 - AMAZON
1 - 3/4" 90° through hull fitting - $6.00 - AMAZON
4' - 3/4" pvc hose - LOWES
2 - 3/4" SS Hose Clamps - $20.00 - AMAZON
2 - 3/4" ID x 1.5" OD x 1/16" silicone seal washers - $10.00 - McMASTER

Here is a teaser of one of the first parts that arrived so you can get a feel of where I am going with this:
IMG_4380.jpg
IMG_4381.jpg

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
watching

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I finally received my correct hose clamps. Notice that these have a skirt to keep the hose from getting chewed up. I would recommend this style above any other when dealing with something that is below the waterline. I needed these for the tow valve install and since I can only get them by the box and they are the right size I will use them for my ballast mod as well. I am still waiting on my wire to arrive ( I waited to order it to make sure I was buying enough to do what is needed since I am buying it by the foot) and I did not like the chrome through hull fitting I got so I sent it back and am looking for another. Once the last few pieces of the puzzle arrive I will sweat it out one afternoon and install the upgrade.

image.jpg

Last edited:

duffell_shawnee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I were to install a manual valve to force all ballast to the port side, would the default fill settings cause the port ballast to overfill? I have not changed the factory settings (yet). I would love to complete the full mod as you are but I'm certain I would screw something up! Looking at adding a wedge also.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes it would which is why I am adding a vent to that bag.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have everything but the wire to install it. I am going to finish it this winter sometime while I save for the wedge. I have a lot of mods I want to do all at once from rod holders, to extra bilge pump etc.