• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aftermarket Used Trailer - What To Look For?

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everyone,
This past January we purchased an 08 SX230. It didn’t come with a trailer and we have stored it in a marina, so a trailer was never necessary. This coming year we plan on stretching her legs a little more and take her to the keys, Bahamas, etc, so I’m starting to keep my eyes out for a trailer. Being that this is our first boat, this will also be the first trailer. While having towed plenty of utility, box, and car trailers, I’m less versed in boat trailers and was hoping you could share some insight. I’m comfortable with my tow vehicle (03 4Runner w/ V8, steel bumpers resulting in added weight, oil cooler, upgraded suspension and brakes), but what’s behind it is the bigger question lol.

First and foremost - what is the length of the trailer I should be looking for? If the boat is 23’, can I use a 21’ for example? Dual axle has been the only tell tale that I’ve seen on the OEM trailers for the 23-25’ boats.

Surge brakes? Are these expected/usual on these size trailers? They seem like a must.

Condition: The trailer will be primarily used in salt water, so AL is strongly preferred, galvanized steel would be a minimum. No paint. Aside from rust, should I expect to have to rebuild/replace the axles? I know tires are usually an immediate swap, bunks are easy (is it worth upgrading to rollers?), lights are straightforward if needed.

Any other features I should be looking for? I figure the trailer won’t fit like a glove without some adjustments, but want to make sure I’m starting with a functional base. Also, any thoughts on pricing down in FL? I’m willing to travel a bit and wait for the right deal - don’t have anything pressing yet, which is why I’m starting to look now. I know covid’s made the boat market go bananas, not sure if that translates into the trailer market - I’d imagine so.

Any additional input/wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, you know the basics already. Aluminum I-beam would be best with tandem axles and surge brakes on at least one axle. You'll want disc brakes and all components, if not aluminum, stainless steel or galvanized. If I would be building my ideal trailer I would have electric over hydraulic brakes so I could control the amount of brake force my brakes are giving. That is a useful feature when in a hilly or mountainous area. I would also have torsion axles and, if possible to fit, 16" wheels so I can run LT tires. It sounds like you're looking for a used trailer to fix up. I'd consider looking at a new one and doing a cost and quality comparison. You may end up coming out ahead buying new. Another thing to look for is a swing away or folding tongue. A trailer for the 23' Yamaha is around 24-25' in length, or with the boat on it is 25'. Folding the tongue gets it really close to the length of the boat. I had a storage unit that was advertised as 24' deep and with the tongue folded it just fit. You'll want LED lights, at least for the tails, because they're brighter and give you less trouble then traditional bulb fixtures. You'll also want traditional bunks and not rollers to cradle your baby on the trailer. Hope all this helps a little. I'm sure there will be other with more insights and opinions. Good luck with your search.

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @PEARCE , how “long” of a trailer should I be looking for? 24-25? Figure it’d also be dependent on where the roller is and whatnot.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @PEARCE , how “long” of a trailer should I be looking for? 24-25? Figure it’d also be dependent on where the roller is and whatnot.
I'll measure my trailer tonight and get back to you.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@svana The overall length of the boat on the trailer is 26'. The boat hangs off the rear of the trailer 2'. The folding tongue is 30" in length. What other measurements would you like?

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@svana The overall length of the boat on the trailer is 26'. The boat hangs off the rear of the trailer 2'. The folding tongue is 30" in length. What other measurements would you like?
Thats great, thanks! My biggest wonder was always what the length/overhang should look like. Beam and whatnot I can gather from my own boat.