• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Aftermath, rope caught in intake, questions, have photos

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yesterday the tow rope got caught on the impeller shaft. We got it back home and I was able to get under it today. I removed all the rope but there is rope residue embedded in the black sealant used at the end of the shaft where the water gets forced out by the impeller/fan blades. I am wondering about said black sealant... some of it came off with the rope. Will that possibly cause a water leak? Do I need to reapply sealant at the end of the shaft where the blades are? All the rope remaining is rope that's embedded in the black sealant putty and will not inhibit spinning of the shaft. I can leave it there but I'm just wondering if I need to add more sealant there. See pics. Help would be very much appreciated by those knowledgeable on this subject. Thank you.

20180701_150411.jpg 20180701_160713.jpg

Attachments

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
IIRC that's the sealing rubber boot that probably melted. $10 in Amazon

Attachments

Last edited:

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you think I need that when you look at the condition of mine? What's the procedure to replace that?

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is the part number or link to this part on amazon?

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
This is the one I purchased. Screenshot_20180702-043018_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like you are going to have to pull the stator (stationary blades angles opposite the impellers blades) part of the Pump, impeller and shaft to replace that seal. On Yamaha’s these things all come out as a sub assembly together not sure about your boat which o can tell is not a Yamaha because the shaft is covered. I would only replace it if it was causing cavitation or I thought it was the source of a leak.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like you are going to have to pull the stator (stationary blades angles opposite the impellers blades) part of the Pump, impeller and shaft to replace that seal. On Yamaha’s these things all come out as a sub assembly together not sure about your boat which o can tell is not a Yamaha because the shaft is covered. I would only replace it if it was causing cavitation or I thought it was the source of a leak.
I just bought the seal from the local dealer, $14. I believe when I pull the jet out there is a neoprene seal/gasket there that prevents leaks into the hull. I just need to be careful when I pull that but this doesn't look to be too difficult. I'm going to do it tonight. What about torque specs on any bolts/nuts I tighten?

Does anyone know of a video that will help me do this? I found a YouTube of a guy doing out to a Yamaha jet. Anyone?

Here's the link:

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's the seal in my hand. Thank you to Pirana for the excellent post with part #. It was the last one in stock at the dealer. By the way, the Scarab (and many other brands) boat dealer said these are great boats, and that they never see them come in for service.

Attachments

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It's very simple install...but unfortunately you will need an impeller nut removal socket

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Mine looks like this one
Screenshot_20180702-172733_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Cut away all the rope, and cut through that black mass. What does it look like? That's what mine looked liked when I did this with that same Airhead rope, it looks like you burned through the nylon and made a black mass. Did the boat shut off on it's own? When I did this that bad I had kept trying to start my boat and it would keep shutting off, then I realized why.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cut away all the rope, and cut through that black mass. What does it look like? That's what mine looked liked when I did this with that same Airhead rope, it looks like you burned through the nylon and made a black mass. Did the boat shut off on it's own? When I did this that bad I had kept trying to start my boat and it would keep shutting off, then I realized why.
Yea the boat was starting and going but at a certain point it wouldn't start. Looks like the rope was spinning on the shaft until after a certain number of rotations it worked it's way up against the impeller and destroyed the impeller boot and prevented further spinning. Do you know what the torque specs are for the bolts I'm going to be removing? Are there tech docs available for me to figure that out?

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finished the job yesterday. Cleaned out all rope and impeller boot debris. Re-greased the shaft splines. Torqued all nuts and bolts to specs and used blue Loctite on them. Job isn't bad at all except for the impeller housing having to be pried off.

Attachments