• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Air Filter Replacement Interval?

raptor319

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Yamaha 242 maintenance schedule only lists to "inspect" air filters. Dont see anything regarding replacement. I see they cost around $125 each. Thoughts on replacement interval. The starboard air box looks like a PITA to remove/open

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure I've ever changed an air filter on these boats. The environment is not conducive for changing, monitoring, yes. Have never really seen one that is "dirty" or needing changed.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You'll only need to change your filters if you regularly take your boat out on the sand dunes. :cool:

The big thing you're looking for is oil contamination. I can't speak to the new boats, but on the old MR1 engines, if you overfilled them with oil the filters would get contaminated with oil.

Unless you encounter some very unusual circumstances, they should last the life of the boat.

Jgonzalez114

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine had oil from previous owners overfilling. Have two new ones to install before I take it out after the strip down and detail.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Yamaha Tech told me they should be changed every 100hrs. Then again this is in HAWAII conditions, not sure if that makes a difference. Just had mines changed and cost $150ea.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Yamaha Tech told me they should be changed every 100hrs. Then again this is in HAWAII conditions, not sure if that makes a difference. Just had mines changed and cost $150ea.
Hmmmmm..... I guess I'm not sure what would be different in Hawaii, but then again I've never been there. Do you actually notice a salt build-up? (I'm assuming the reason is salt-air?)

Or maybe your Yamaha Tech has a boat payment to make.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmmmm..... I guess I'm not sure what would be different in Hawaii, but then again I've never been there. Do you actually notice a salt build-up? (I'm assuming the reason is salt-air?)

Or maybe your Yamaha Tech has a boat payment to make.
Yes very very salty corrosive conditions, I was considering going with the K&N filters that a lot of the guys run on there Yammies. But my Yamaha Tech advised me not too, because they would need to be constantly monitored and oiled to capture the salt in the air. The OEM paper filters he told me works the best for our conditions, he went on to say a small price to pay then having corrosion in ur engines. And @Liveto99 no volcanic ash.🤙🏽

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There will be after the the big eruption, I think volcanoes are getting mad no one is throwing virgins in anymore.
Just my $.02