• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Alligator attack at Disney

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Terrible. . . . Could not even fathom it.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2yo son. My heart sank even thinking this could happen to a child and family. Made emotional thinking of this family and my son.

Prayers to them all....

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been reading as well, we stayed at a resort on that lagoon/lake whatever you call it. I wouldn't let my son play close to the water on the resort beach. My wife said the "no swimming" signs were for bacteria in the water during the summer, I told her I was more afraid of gators at the edge of the water. She said surely Disney would get rid of any gators.....

I can't imagine what the family is going through, I feel very bad for them.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2yo son. My heart sank even thinking this could happen to a child and family. Made emotional thinking of this family and my son.

Prayers to them all....
I agree. I have a 19 month old son, and thinking about this makes me have a sick feeling in my stomach. I already felt terrible because a 2 year old boy drowned in a pool here in my hometown on Monday. Makes you want to hold yours a little tighter when you are with them. Terrible when a young child loses their life in such a tragic way.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The article indicated that the father was close enough to get cuts on his hands but couldn't save the boy. . . . . That's going to haunt that poor man for the rest of his life.

chess

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sad for the family... I read a report... gotta love the media, and supposedly there are no signs about alligators down at the Disney Resort.... which I find hard to believe...

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sad for the family... I read a report... gotta love the media, and supposedly there are no signs about alligators down at the Disney Resort.... which I find hard to believe...
I really don't remember any, I've been there several times for a couple weeks at a time, there are lots of signs about not getting in the water but I don't remember any about alligators around the resort beaches. I do remember seeing one at the campground but not at the beaches for the resorts.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The reports that I've read and heard they were only standing ankle deep in the water. We were there last summer, stayed at a different resort on the same lake, and remember seeing the no swimming signs. I figured it was because of the gators, hello it's central Florida, or for too much boat traffic. They were from Nebraska so they may not have been aware of the potential danger lurking in the water if there weren't signs about the gator danger.

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Such a sad story could not begin to know the pain the parents and family are going through.

We go every year to Disney, last year we stayed at the Polynesian. After av evening dip in the pool walking back to the room my son (6yrs old) yells gator... Sure enough right on the dock was a 5 foot gator. After a few flashes from bystanders cameras he took off. That was enough for me to stay away from the edge, especially at nite.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This story is awful especially since dad had hands on. Reminds me of an IP we had at Vance - his family went to to the Grand Canyon and his little girl fell over the edge. He slid down after her and performed CPR to no avail. Makes me sick - hug your kids tonight!

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very sad story.

We stayed at the Disney Campground last year, one morning I snuck off to a little lake in the campground to do some fishing. Within a couple of minutes I see a small (3 or 4 ft long) gator rise up near shore a little ways away from me. I kept fishing, but stayed back from shore, and told me kids not to go near the lakes.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very sad story.

We stayed at the Disney Campground last year, one morning I snuck off to a little lake in the campground to do some fishing. Within a couple of minutes I see a small (3 or 4 ft long) gator rise up near shore a little ways away from me. I kept fishing, but stayed back from shore, and told me kids not to go near the lakes.
That's where we stayed. Nice campground, but pricey. It's Disney, what isn't expensive! We sure had a good time though.

So sad for the family.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just read where they found the boy.
At least the family will have some closure.

I saw another story with a photo of a no swimming/alligator warning sign, but I'm pretty sure it's the one at the campground lake.

Of course Jackasses are blasting the parents saying "why weren't they watching/why'd they let them in the water...." I wish those people would just stop doing that, does nothing to help the family.

pagekl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think Disney intentionally not put up signs warning about gators so as not to scare people from staying at certain resorts that are near water. The last thing they want is for guest to be walking around worrying about gators. The no swimming signs are much more calming for people to take as opposed to no swimming because of gators. Their product is keeping people happy and feeling safe while they are staying at their properties. I used to live in Jacksonville and I was amazed to see people swimming and skiing on Black Creek, which has its fair share of gators. From what I hear, gators are more afraid of people than we are them. Personally, I wouldn't really care to test that opinion. Point is, there are over a million gators in the state of Florida and when you see water, understand a gator is not too far away. What the hell do you say to the family/father to bring about some peace to all this?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What the hell do you say to the family/father to bring about some peace to all this?
Nothing would ever be able to bring me piece had I been close enough to be cut, and not succeed. . . . . nothing.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing would ever be able to bring me piece had I been close enough to be cut, and not succeed. . . . . nothing.
That's something he will never get over. I almost think in this situation I would let the gator drag me under too if it meant I go with my son attempting to save him. Only thing about that is his wife and other kids need him during these times, so it's probably for the best that didn't happen. My wife cried when she saw the pics of the boy and his mother that have been floating around Facebook the past hour.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's something he will never get over. I almost think in this situation I would let the gator drag me under too if it meant I go with my son attempting to save him. Only thing about that is his wife and other kids need him during these times, so it's probably for the best that didn't happen. My wife cried when she saw the pics of the boy and his mother that have been floating around Facebook the past hour.
Honestly, I have been avoiding them . . . . . there are some things you just don't need to see. With 3 boys under 7 that frequent the waters everywhere we go I don't need that image in my brain. My heart is broken enough for them already.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think Disney intentionally not put up signs warning about gators so as not to scare people from staying at certain resorts that are near water. The last thing they want is for guest to be walking around worrying about gators. The no swimming signs are much more calming for people to take as opposed to no swimming because of gators. Their product is keeping people happy and feeling safe while they are staying at their properties.
You may be right. When I came to Florida a few years ago looking for a home to buy I visited one area on a canal system that I liked; however, I saw a big sign saying "Warning alligators, No swimming" and that really turned me off. In the end I bought a house on a canal which has at least one alligator but no warning signs so somehow it doesn't seem too bad.

One of the problems in Florida is that people feed the alligators but sometimes karma bites back. About a year ago an airboat guide was feeding an alligator when the alligator bit off his hand for lunch. Feeding alligators makes the alligators lose fear of humans--something that isn't really a good idea.