• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp Died, Suggestions

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My JL M4300 Amp has 2 dead channels on it so only 2 of my 4 speakers are working. Time to replace it. Not trying to break the bank, any suggestions? Have a fusion head unit. Are their amps any good?

The M4300 is 70watts per channel. Speakers are JL.

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put in the JL MX280/4. It's 50Wx4 @ 4 ohms and is only about $300. If you worried about power you can get the MX500/5 that is 90Wx4 @ 4ohms for about $450. Nice little unit. It's a Class D so it's not a power hog.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. I was almost thinking also about adding a speaker down below the pilot and co-pilot side so that you can actually hear music while underway. I've seen a few sites that still have some stock of the JL M600/6 units that arent too expensive. I know these are all discontinued... would it be worth it to still buy them or shop for the newer models instead.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I keep hearing great stuff about Fusion. I will be going that route.

jeremywatco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a fusion head unit and its really nice.. but i did do some reading and it said the JL speakers and amps blows away fusion

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have a fusion head unit and its really nice.. but i did do some reading and it said the JL speakers and amps blows away fusion
Curious on the review.

There is zero chance anyone can hear a difference between comparable amps installed similarly on the same boat. Anyone telling you otherwise doesn't know how to install properly. They both offer the same features, and the Fusion offers significantly more power across the line up. The Fusion provides the opportunity to be louder with a better dynamic range.

Speakers again are tough to compare, especially on a boat, and even then it's very subjective. Could one prefer one over the other? Absolutely.... but comparing similiar model lines, there is zero chance either one is noticeably better... let alone blowing the other out of the water.

I have run JL stuff over the years in both car and marine. The money is in the build quality, not the end the result. IMO plenty of cheaper stuff sounds just as good.

Last edited: