• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp Installation - Wiring Harness Available?

Icatfish247

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Planning to install my new Polk db651 speakers in the spring, I'm exploring the option of adding an amp to give them a little more juice. Specifically looking at the Clarion XC1410, I'm trying to talk myself into the installation process. I'm comfortable with making the connections myself but the idea of doing so one handed in that small helm opening almost 20 times sounds terrible. I have a sub/amp using a pair of the RCA outs from the stereo so unless I'm mistaken, I'll have to use the high level speaker connections for the in and out of the amp.

Long story short: does anyone sell wiring harnesses or even the stock connector so I can make all wiring connections properly outside the boat, then just plug and play for all speaker connections?

Why not just use an amp with RCA outputs/pass through? It would be an easy solution. Just run the signal through the amp to your sub amp, then connect to the speakers. Keep the head unit out of the equation other than providing the audio source.

I use two pioneer class D car amps that have RCA pass through capabilities.

What head unit will you be using?

The factory head unit has a plug type connector in its wiring harness. When I upgraded to a Fusion head unit I removed the factory head unit from the boat and cut the connector off of it leaving plenty of wire to reuse the connector and for someone else to reuse the old head unit. I soldered and shrink tubed all the connections to the Fusion head unit on my bench then I simply plugged the factory connectors together after installing the Fusion head unit.

If I was adding an amp I would carry out a similar process but include the amp speaker wiring in the process carried out on the bench.

Another tip is that you can unscrew the gauge panel and move it aside utilizing extra length in those cables. Doing so provides easier access to the back of the head unit.

Thanks @jawsf16 and @Bruce I appreciate the advice!

I'll admit I have a bit of research to do(as I was unaware of the RCA pass through option), but now is the time of year to do it. I have the JBL MR18.3 installed and plan on sticking with it for now as it seems to have what I need and I like the stern remote functionality. Combining both suggestions, if I can find a reasonably priced class D amp with RCA pass through capabilities, I'll be all set for making the connections properly on the work bench.

Back