• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amp suggestions

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I am trying to put the finishing touches on my stereo upgrade and I can't decide which way to go on the amp. So hopefully someone can give me some good advice. I like to do things right the first time.

What I currently have:
6x Polk DB651's 60 watt RMS
1x Wet sounds Syn 6 (running in mono 200wx2, 600x1) ( can also run 200x2 and 300x2 if I decide to add another sub)
1x Wet sounds SF-10FA 300 watt RMS

So now the question is what do I use to power the interior speakers, I am thinking at some point of adding an additional 2 speakers inside the cabin(so 6 in the boat, 2 on swim platform) so I would like the amp to have the room to be able to expand there if I decide to.

The options:

1) Pick up 2x Wetsounds syn 4, this would give me 125w on each channel... Over kill for the Polk DB651's, but if I decided to switch to a better interior speaker I'd have the power I needed (unsure if I will like the polk's once powered)
2) 1x JL Audio M800/8v2, this would give me 75 watts per channel which would fit the Polk's fine, but might be under powered if I decide to switch up to a more premium speaker in the future.
3) Something I haven't thought of yet

I'll be also adding a pair of Rev 8's to the tower, but the towers and the sub will be powered off the syn 6 so that isn't really a issue.

Am I going to destroy the Polk's running that much power to them if I decide to go with the Syn 4?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The JL Audio M800/8 is much more amplifier than the specs would indicate. Typically a JL Audio XD series will deliver its full 14.4V rated output even with a 12.5V supply and it will do almost all of its 14.4V @ 1kHz rated power across the entire audio bandwidth. Both attributes are rare. So I wouldn't worry about it being enough power to run any of your future in-boat speaker options.
However, I still might consider the Wetsounds Syn4 simply because it matches the Syn6 and it is certainly a very good amplifier.
I probably would not have selected the Class AB Syn6 for a Yamaha but that's water under the bridge now. The Syn4 is a much higher efficiency Class H.
You shouldn't damage the Polk speakers if you tune the amplifier correctly and then adhere to the max clean volume setting when underway. You know what the pre-clipping level is from the set-up. But too often people exceed that level when underway and their ears are a little traumatized from a day of loud music.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What he said

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe I'm missing something, but right off wetsounds webpage for syn 6.

"Wet Sounds™ Syndicate Series Marine Amplifiers represent the highest performing marine audio amplifiers on the market. With advanced technologies like Class H and Class G/H power supplies for high power with less current draw and less heat."

Not seeing anywhere that states the syn6 is a class AB. But like you said, no changing that now, already have it, so it's not going anywhere lol

But thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yes I know, they mention Class G/H for the 'Syn' series in general but do not state that the Syn6 is the only amplifier in the series that is Class AB. The Syn6 absolutely is a Class AB amplifier versus a G/H. Other than the lower efficiency, the Syn6 is a great amplifier. Btw, all Class G/H amplifiers use a completely Class AB output section with a pulse-switching power supply that varies its capacity ultra fast according to the audio signal.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm using a WetSounds HT6 for my 6 interior speakers. Have you considered 1?

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Huh, well isn't that some tricky marketing... and had considered the HT6, but since I'm thinking of going to 8 speakers I want to have the outputs for that if I go that way in the future... maybe 2 HT4, little cheaper.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 800/8 that David mentioned is the way to go for that @Master-Spud , as @David Analog suggested. I have 6 interior and 2 transom (or soon will). If I didn't also have a sub, I would have used the 800/8. Instead, I used a 600/6 and a 500/3 to power all 8 and the sub. It actually is the same amps inside with 8 of them as I have 9 of the same. But I will only power each speaker with a very clean 60w that is really derated comparatively speaking, and still get 180w to my sub. Lots of headroom and nothing gets loaded down, good clean JL sound.