• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor question

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
U can take a fluke anchor off the titanic and it wouldn't hold my boat at the lake. I use one at the ocean where I live with no problem. And I have 10ft of heavy chain on both my fluke anchors for the ocean. No issues here. Lake has a soft beach sand bottom. My auger anchor has a 6" disk at the bottom. I will look into the other anchors as well.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My fluke holds like a champ in sand. I regularly get 3 foot waves all day and it never moves an inch. Your lake bottom must be rocky?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, this doesn't make sense to me at all. If your anchor setup for a fluke anchor is correct and you can use an auger anchor (meaning sandy bottom) then you should be in perfect shape with a fluke.

I have 4 primary anchors and I've tried them all extensively in heavy (50MPH gust wind, 2' rolling waves) weather conditions.
  • Danforth (FX-11) anchor in sandy bottom, popped free a couple times, re-sets itself (not as well as the initial set, though) with 3-4' slip.
  • Large Box anchor in sandy bottom, popps free all the time, re-sets itself in about 2'
  • Manson Supreme in sandy bottom, doesn't pop free... ever... this thing is just a pig to get back out (and it's really bulky, I have to keep it in the head compartment).
  • Digger anchor... I didn't care much for this anchor, but I have hear others love it.
All of my anchors except the Large Box Anchor have 12' of 3/8" chain and at least a 5:1 scope.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I go with a box anchor every time and it will hold 99% of the time, that 1% it will either reset itself or I will pay out more rode, and then it won't come loose again. If you are restricting the swing of the boat on the anchor, or shortening the scope, you are putting too much lift and tug on the anchor and it won't hold. Adding several anchors close to the boat with limited scope won't help in a storm. Regardless of restrictions, you can't reduce scope and expect it to hold. And an anchor buddy is just kind of cheating the scope equation and will only help a limited amount...because it to not only the amount of tug, but the direction it comes from. If your rode is lifting, it lifts the shank or control arm, that that pulls up on the anchor. That is why fluke anchors use chain. But a short scope will still let the tug lift the chain and the shank. Add scope, it is the answer to anchor problems. Want a shorter scope? Get a box anchor, or a concrete block. All it takes to lock the boat in position is to create an equal amount of resistance to the pull. So when you get a storm, and you add all that wind to the boat, that multiplies the load on the anchor. You can cheat a little with an anchor buddy, rig two anchors at angles from the bow, add scope.
2 bow anchors 2.jpg
When you tie off the stern and restrict the boats ability to pivot or swing on the anchor rode, you INCREASE the load on the rode, and then will need more hold power to keep the boat locked down. If you need to fix your position, fill 3 5 gallon buckets with concrete and sink them in the sand, with a cleat to tie off to. Getting them out is going to be tough.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
?..... The Fortress FX7 of FX11 (overkill) is probably your best anchor.
What I use. Never an issue. Once anchored in heavy current on the Sacramento Delta with two boats tied to my stern (one had to replace a water pump impeller). Fortress anchor is a beast. :winkingthumbsup"

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couldnt find a pic on my phone but I did a screen shot of my background so you could see how far out I have to park
image.jpg

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i bought a anchor buddy and got to use it today on vacation. As soon as I got the boat and jet ski anchored a storm came up barely blowing and somehow the boat blew passed my jet ski and around it til they were tied up together. I guess at least it didn't pull up. But nothing is gonna pull up 3 screw down anchors

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A storm came up tonight and a pontoon near where I was parked came loose and got stuck on a friends jet ski. Looks like someone took a chain saw to it. I would be soooo pissed if that was me