• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor suggestions

Dave Phipps

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions on the best anchor AND size for our new Yamaha 275SD. Will be using mostly in the ocean with sandy bottom.
Thank you,
Dave

I carry 4 anchors for my 2004 ar210: 22lb Plow 12' of 5/16 chain 100' of 1/2 made in USA anchor line for sand and windy conditions, 5 lb grapple 10' 5/16 chain 50' of 1/2 line for general use, 2lb grapple 5' 1/4" chain 50' of 3/8 line for misc/stern use, and a 18lb river anchor with 5' of 5/16 chain and 50' of line for mud and stern anchor use... there have been times that I have used all 4 anchors... I carry a hand full of 3/8 and 1/2 mooring/dock lines for misc use and towing slings...

I used to have a 15 lb Danforth and found it useless in most conditions... That is for a 2500lb boat with tower and Bimini up..

I also carry an assortment of made in usa stainless clips for the occasional mooring ball or lifeline hook and 4 x 18 inch bumpers and lines...

Ive settled on this combination for daily use the keys... I very rarely anchor in more that 40-50' of water... occasionally 10' and normally much less (1-3')...

YMMV

Looking for suggestions on the best anchor AND size for our new Yamaha 275SD. Will be using mostly in the ocean with sandy bottom.
Thank you,
Dave

Mantus Grabs fantastic in the sand. I have never had a problem. All different types of bottoms. Used it in Florida on the sand and current and also down there in 2ft chop. Use it up here in 1-3ft in sand, muck, etc.

The design of it keeps it digging as it is pulled against. Pretty cool.

Marine Boat Accessories and Boat Anchors | Mantus Marine

Last edited:
I use the fortress FX 11 on my 21 ft which is way more than enough it is rated for larger than your boat... I use mostly in the gulf. Love the anchor, I am just always about going one size bigger than needed.

Thank you,
Dave
Mantis or Danforth style works well in sandy conditions. I have a 4 lb Danforth style Guardian G-7 anchor (made by Fortress). It's very light as it's made from aluminum/magnesium alloy yet strong and digs in well with a 10ft chain to weigh down the shank. Box anchors work well too, but I find them a bit combersome and the Danforth style fits in the anchor locker nicely. I bought a cheap outdoor entrance carpet to put in the anchor locker to keep the anchor and chain from rattling.

@Yammi Box anchors work fine, but they suck when you step on them or have kids whom step on them in shallow water. Mantus hold the same if not, I believe better, with the added issues of someone not hurting themselves. Gave mine away and haven't looked back since buying a couple Mantus. The 8lb hold my boat just fine and I have one for the back as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips!!

Fortress FX7 for sandy/muddy conditions. I've been struggling with it lately in heavy seagrass bottoms, so considering a box for that purpose.

I have a 13lb fluke for the front and an 8lb for the stern on my SX195. I use mine on only sandy bottom in Tampa bay and in the gulf. My biggest suggestion, don’t use a small diameter nylon rope as I have noticed there is a lot of stretch and “snap back” on waves. I also have a sand spike for the stern when close to the beach.

I'm using a 13lb box in the front and a Danforth or Sand Shark for the rear depending on circumstances.

I'm ocean and bay, sandy bottoms mostly. Thought the Danforth/Fluke that came with my SX190 was crap but learned that it was me that was crap and after sucking it up and learning to anchor properly I bought my second Danforth/Fluke. I have a grapple anchor for rocks and reef.

Back