• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anchors, sand and storage

smthng

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looking for thoughts on sand anchors, preferably from those who've tried several. I'm in sand or mud 90% of the time, so that's all I'm really interested in right now.

I currently have a Fortress danforth-type (guessing it's an FX-11) that's too big for the anchor box and pretty much dictates the loss of my front floor storage. I could probably fit it in the anchor box if I chopped it's crossbar down, but I suspect that will reduce it's effectiveness. It's awesome for the sand and mud here in Florida, but it's too big and hassling with the floor locker is a pain. I stole my old not-quite-a-danforth from the LX210, which fits the front locker perfectly, but it's a mud magnet and takes quite a bit to rinse off... every... time. It's also heavy.
We're almost always in sand and I don't need something that will hold us in place in a hurricane. I'm basically looking for something my wife can toss out without scratching up the front of the boat when we're backing into a beach. I've thought about the Mantus, but it looks like I'd need to get into the 13 lb range for a decent lunch anchor, which isn't much better than the danforth.

Has anyone found anything that's simple, relatively light and fits the front box that works in sand?

I use a standard 8lb. Danforth with about 6 ft. of chain for my primary anchor. Holds just fine in the coast here with the wind, current and changing of tides. It fits sideways in the anchor locker no problem. I've been eyeballing a fortress, but it must fit in the locker or I won't take the plunge. Shore spike with Danik hook off the stern when beaching.

Haven't thought about sideways... might try that with the big Fortress. If I can get it in and out in under a minute I could probably deal with sideways, even if I have to build in some padding or something. I suspect our anchor boxes are about the same.

I use a danforth, but will be changing to a small box anchor. Virtually everyone that has a box anchor says it is the only way to go.

I have both a FX-11 and a Large box anchor. The FX-11 has 12' of heavy chain on it, and I can tell you that anchor holds much better in sand then the large box anchor does. Mostly because of the chain and the fluke size. LBA has 4 flukes, but when the FX-11 sets, it has MUCH more surface area to pull against. Both are good anchors, though.

Does the FX-11 fit in your anchor locker? If not, do you disassemble it when storing it, or just put it somewhere else?

Yessir, it does. I did have to cut the stock down so it would fit, but the stock really doesn't do anything (other than get stuck on rocks).

Yessir, it does. I did have to cut the stock down so it would fit, but the stock really doesn't do anything (other than get stuck on rocks).
I think about cutting that thing every time I open my floor hatch to get it out. I might just order another stock to have on hand and cut the one I have. That would solve many issues.

Just measure the diameter of the stock (the tube on the back where the flukes attach to) and go to home depot, if you want a backup one :-).

anchor-parts.png

Are you talking about cutting down the stock or the shank?

I didn't have to cut down my shank, it fits, but I did have to cut down the stock.

The stock. I haven't measured the shank, but I'm pretty sure it'll fit.

Back