• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Hydroturf removal tips thread....

Mrbruin2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So after searching and reading a million threads, I embarked on the journey to remove my horribly worn hydroturf from my 2011 SX240 that has lived outside. I started trying to just use goo gone and a plastic putty scraper tool, but it took almost 2 hours to do only 6 inches of turf removal. This morning I went to Home Depot and purchased the 5-1 painters tool along with a couple cans of aerosol Goof-off. This is more of a solvent based adhesive remover and worked incredible. I was able to complete the entire rest of the turf removal in about an hour while going through 4 cans of the goof-off. I would pull with one hand while spraying with the other and it just came up great. It was a huge relief as I was envisioning days of work based on the start I had.

Next was trying to tackle the adhesive as it all stayed on the surface of the boat. Tried acetone and the goof off while scraping with the tool, but that was going to be a major time committment as well. I also tried to use a steamer for both the turf and the adhesive, but the steam didn't do anything. I decided to try the pressure washer with 25 degree tip on it and it worked like a charm. I moved forward in long, strip-like passes and was able to do both upper and lower steps in about 45 minutes. I need to go over it with some acetone to get down to the perfect, raw gel surface, but that worked well.

I'm sure many boats have horrible turf, but as noted before, pre 2010 boats had the anti-slip which had less contact on surface area so easier to remove. My 2011 has endured 5 years of horrible sun and has been in very bad shape for the past 2 years. It was a nightmare and after trying all different methods, I can highly suggest the use of the Goof-off aerosol canisters for the turf and pressure washer for the glue. Now can't wait to put in my new mats. I decided to try the new Blacktip elite mats and will let you know how they come out. I'm on a limited budget or else would have got Seadek teak....

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great tips @Mrbruin2k. Lets see some pics when you get her done.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was part of the SeaDek group buy, and will be venturing to do that this weekend. Gives me a headache just thinking about removing the old stuff. I'm hopeful that my older boat (2008) may be easier, as I've read reports that at some point the adhesive may have changed. Good tip on the pressure washer. Did you ever try Kerosene ("white gas")? It does a very good job taking apart adhesives.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mrbruin2k If you can call me I will see if I can help you with the SeaDek pricing. We have a few various styles that will save you money over the teak. Also the Blacktip will do like the Hydro-Turf did and over time it will break down faster than the SeaDek. 850-960-3236

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Embarking on this adventure and it’s been terrible so far. 2.5 hours and I’m about done with 1/2 of the swim platform. Will try the goo-gone Aerosol. Did you spray it underneath as you pulled or did it soak through the mat from the top?

Attachments

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in the process of doing this as well. I’m chipping away at it and not trying to tackle all at once. I’m using a painters five n one tool and a hammer. I then use acetone in a spray bottle and the same painters tool. I also have the 3m erasure wheel. The combo seems to be working well. I don’t think you could use the wheel for the whole thing.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m in the process of doing this as well. I’m chipping away at it and not trying to tackle all at once. I’m using a painters five n one tool and a hammer. I then use acetone in a spray bottle and the same painters tool. I also have the 3m erasure wheel. The combo seems to be working well. I don’t think you could use the wheel for the whole thing.
Thanks for the info, I’ve been chipping away too I feel like any more than an hour or two I’d pull my hair out.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Embarking on this adventure and it’s been terrible so far. 2.5 hours and I’m about done with 1/2 of the swim platform. Will try the goo-gone Aerosol. Did you spray it underneath as you pulled or did it soak through the mat from the top?
We like to pour mineral spirits over the surface of the old pads and then place some sort of poly sheeting over the top and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Just try to keep the mineral spirits off the rub rail as it can discolor the rubber.

Once its seeped into the pad then it begins to separate the pad from the glue. From there you can scrape it off pretty easily and then do a cleanup with more mineral spirits, followed by acetone to remove the oily residue.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestion! Too eager to get this SeaDek on!

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
UPDATE:

1. Eraser Wheel is epic for the remaining adhesive. Still takes time but a way better option than chemicals and scraping. I almost when through a whole wheel on 1/2 the swim platform, so I ordered two more to get me through the project.

The eraser wheel does seem to be able to go through the mat and adhesive but it’s not the best and I’m sure chews up that wheel quicker

2. Soaking the hydroturf in mineral spirits (for about 45 mins) seemed to loosen up a bit but it’s still work to get off the mat.

3. Going to try an oscillating multi tool on the remainder of the hydroturf maybe with a plastic putty knife taped on the end of gorilla tape on the edge to protect the fiberglass. Will report.

Attachments