• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ANOTHER LED lighting project, with a twist.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I've been planning my interior lighting for a while. I like to boat at night, so I wanted zones to turn on and off, and I also wanted to address switch lighting while I was at it. Lots of red glow coming off my dash at night. I also had a stock panel with a giant "no wake mode" logo and switch on it. I moved the no wake/cruise buttons to the throttle a while back, so that panel annoyed me. I worked with New Wire Marine and came up with a nice solution. I don't have all of the lights in yet, but the foundation is there and my wiring is ready for them when I get around to it. I had the underwater lights already, and I added the cockpit lights and the swim deck lights this weekend, along with the new panel. All the lights are RGB. I have additional switches on the way to replace the stock ones from the upper panel so everything will match. Eventually the upper panel will get completely redone also. Here's a couple pics and a short video. I'll update the thread as the rest of the lights get put in. Some of the pics/vids were taken during the day time, but I think you can still see the lighting.

20180729_180018.jpg 20180729_180031.jpg IMG-20180728-WA0015.jpg

Last edited:

wkparker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like the click-to-dim/brighten switch. Is that connected to a module that does the dimming or is it built into the switch?

Tks

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I really like the click-to-dim/brighten switch. Is that connected to a module that does the dimming or is it built into the switch?

Tks
I think that's my favorite part also. The new switches have two LEDs. One is a "dependent" lamp meaning that it goes on and off with switch activation, and is not dimmable. The other is an "independent" lamp (the one behind the switch labels) and it has it's own 12v feed so you can control it however you like. The dimmer is from blue sea, and is a separate module controlled by its own rocker. The independent LEDs are connected to the output of the dimmer.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7506/Deckhand_Dimmer_-_12V_DC_6A

Last edited:

wkparker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very cool. Thanks for the link. Based on the price they seem to be pretty proud of it, but I guess it's not too bad considering it's fully potted and can handle 6 amps.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You can find the 6 amp version for around $55. I'll have 10 or more rockers connected to it, so about $5 extra per switch to be able to dim it. That's how I justified it at least.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks great! I like the voltmeter too.