• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anti Seize ?

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I about to change the plugs out on my SX240. They are only one year old and have about 30 hours on them. I am really confused about whether or not I should use anti seize on the plugs and also whether I should use a torque wrench.

Question....Should I use anti seize, if yes,
should I still torque to 18.4 foot pounds.

Ordered 8 NGK LRF4A plugs, expecting them in a few days.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I about to change the plugs out on my SX240. They are only one year old and have about 30 hours on them. I am really confused about whether or not I should use anti seize on the plugs and also whether I should use a torque wrench.

I hope you meant LFR6A plugs, if you have an SX240 with 1.8L engines.

Also, I am sure others will chime in with their opinions but here is mine.

I changed 12 plugs today. . . . 8 on my '14 AR240 and 4 on my '11 VX Deluxe ski.

I used anti sieze on the ski plugs (as it was my first plug change on this new to me ski) and I did not on my boat plugs because I did use anti seize last year and only use it every other year.

The reason I only use it every other year is because a little bit goes a LONG way. A tiny dab at the begining of the threads is still noticeable the length of the threads when removed a year later (after buring off the fogging oil from winterization.)

As far as the need for a torque wrench set to 18.4. . . . "Lubing" the threads with throw off the setting a bit and could lead to overtightening. That said, I have never personally used a torque wrench on any plugs. I have done so many I am extremely comfortable doing it by feel.

Once you set the crush washer you should really be able to feel when to stop.

As a side note, one recommendation I have for changing plugs is to put a few wraps of electrical tape around the extention and spark plug socket. This makes pulling the tool out in one piece (once you set the plugs) MUCH easier.

Best of luck.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't use anti-seize. Supposedly, anti-seize throws off heat transfer and new-er plugs don't really need it (?). Knock on wood, never had an issue. I change the plugs at least once a year.
Finger tighten, then about 1/2 turn with a spark plug wrench.

EDIT: I would not use a torque wrench if using anti-seize.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Here is some good info on u use of anti seize!

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick replies...Typing error, the plugs are LFR6A

I had read that the NGK LFR6A plugs have a factory coating that makes using anti seize unnecessary. So I am going to forego the anti seize. I plan to change the plugs no more than one year after each install. It's a small price to pay for a better running machine and a sense of security as well.

Thanks again, you guys here have been great.

Edit.....Just saw the video posted by Captras. Now I know for sure that I will not use anti-seize... THANKS

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't use anti seize either due to it throwing off the torque reading. Change them once a year and you shouldn't have an issue.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For the MR1 I always use the copper anti seize for a saltwater marine environment its useful and the plugs snap very easy It is well documented. They only recommend 9.4 Ft lbs that's for the MR1 I only go hand tight and a 1/2 turn he talks about 65 ft lbs that's an insane amount of torque for a spark plug I have never seen anything close to that for any application . Benefit of using anti seize your plug will never get stuck in the head this is not a car or truck boats use water to cool the exhaust manifolds and water sits in the water box it never ejects 100% of the water. Steam can easily find its way into the cylinder the way the exhaust is designed.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't use anti seize either due to it throwing off the torque reading. Change them once a year and you shouldn't have an issue.
Just curious, do you actually use a torque wrench for setting your plugs?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

Here is some good info on u use of anti seize!

we'll crap... after watching that video I want to (not going to) go pull my plugs and clean the anti seize off that I put on in the spring.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the MR1 I always use the copper anti seize for a saltwater marine environment its useful and the plugs snap very easy It is well documented. They only recommend 9.4 Ft lbs that's for the MR1 I only go hand tight and a 1/2 turn he talks about 65 ft lbs that's an insane amount of torque for a spark plug I have never seen anything close to that for any application . Benefit of using anti seize your plug will never get stuck in the head this is not a car or truck boats use water to cool the exhaust manifolds and water sits in the water box it never ejects 100% of the water. Steam can easily find its way into the cylinder the way the exhaust is designed.

Regardless of that video, which the guy throwing around 64 ft-lbs doesn't install confidence, there is a known issue with the MR1s (or maybe with owners of MR1s) having plugs break in the head....especially #3. Is it due to over tightening, design defect, etc...or a combination of both? Don't know, but I don't recall a plug snapping in any other cylinder but I'm sure it's happened. With that being said, I have for 10 seasons and 80 plugs, and do currently use anti-seize but do not use copious amounts. I also use a torque wrench that is in inch-lbs. I have it set to 95 in-lbs and careful not to go beyond. If it's not broke don't fix it in my book.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Finger tighten, then about 1/2 turn with a wrench.
If you change the plugs every year, which is a good idea anyway, you will not have any issues.

LFR6A, aka #6668 (NGK)

(not any LFR6A-11 or any other iridium or what)

--

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Well, I just bought a Pittsburgh Pro 3/8" torque wrench that goes from 10- 80 foot pounds. Hope I didn't waste money.

Yes the plugs are LFR6A NKG .

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well, I just bought a Pittsburgh Pro 3/8" torque wrench that goes from 10- 80 foot pounds. Hope I didn't waste money.

Yes the plugs are LFR6A NKG .
Waste money on buying a new tool? That statement does not compute. I've heard my wife say that before but I've never understood it. ;):D:D:D:D

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
No, I agree !!! But you get mixed reviews on who uses a torque wrench and who tightens 1/4 - 1/2 turn past snug. I think I am going with the torque because I am not overly mechanical and I want things to guide me so that they are done right.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
No, I agree !!! But you get mixed reviews on who uses a torque wrench and who tightens 1/4 - 1/2 turn past snug. I think I am going with the torque because I am not overly mechanical and I want things to guide me so that they are done right.
Yeah I tend to use a torque wrench if I have a known spec for a bolt more times than not because I've always had a long standing tendency to over tighten everything. Although years of using torque wrenches also has a side affect of teaching you what certain torque levels feel like and I have ranges now that I've boiled down to "loosely tight", "just snug", "good and tight", or "really crank it down" if I don't have a torque wrench handy or in a place where it is inconvenient for use. :D

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I never run the engine without removing the plugs placing never seize on the plugs and then putting those back in the engine and placing dielectric grease on the plug boots , I also tighten the plugs by feel, I never use a torque wrench and I have several of those. I do this from day 1 before ever using the engine and once there is never seize in the threads of the head you don't need to add any more later on when you change the plugs. I Change plugs every year . I put a lot of hours on my engines .