• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any 2 stroke experts?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Low compression on cylinder #2 after last weeks debacle and overheat on the Delaware. 15 PSI lower and I saw slight scoring in the cylinder through an inspection cam. Started the tear down today and will rebuild the top end which I have been itching to do for a couple of years now.

Please respond if you have any experience with the 2 strokes in case I have questions.

Here is the piston from the exhaust port view.... seems like the heat glazed it although the top of the piston looks fine and it didn't melt. I am in too far already though and will do the rebuild

IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2192.JPG

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
What was your debacle? I had an overheat issue a few years ago with my 2stroke. Ended up being sediment deposits in the cylinder cooling passage. Must have scooped out a bucket of silt.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a tree limb(s) jam between the impeller and the duct but the real root of the issue was there was a portion of tree that was completely clogging my water intake/inlet in the impeller duct = engine had not cooling. Although the rpm's were limited, I was still able to keep it under 3500 and after letting it sit, I tried to run it again not knowing the real problem. Smoke was coming out of the pee holes and the engine was HOTTTTT..... That said, one of the pistons was reading lower compression so I tore it down.

IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2194.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You could probably get away with a set of pistons, rings and a fresh hone. Unless you wanted a full rebuild.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@4x15mph you'll find a good deal of information in the 2-stroke Yamaha forums on greenhulk.net. I've rebuilt at least a dozen of the 1200NPVs, but stopped a few years ago when I switched to all 4-strokes. What are your questions?

-Greg

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all - I have posted to Green hulk as well. I will just be doing pistons, rings, and a honing/bore for now. No questions at this point since many have been answered and I am well on my way.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks all - I have posted to Green hulk as well. I will just be doing pistons, rings, and a honing/bore for now. No questions at this point since many have been answered and I am well on my way.
Awesome!
Subscribing to this in case you have questions. Been a good while since i rebuilt.
I remember it being surprisingly easy to get apart.
I think we had to bake a part to get the sleeves out?
I did oversized pistons i found on ebay.
Had a local shop bore out for me.
Had a hot rods crank that i believe was just a bit better quality same stroke.
Had some minor marring on the head piece and had it cleaned up (slightly less than "milled".
I just know that when all said and done i did hit 60+ mph on super smooth water!
Was perfect for chasing the bil baja at the time.

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
SBT has a complete exchange kit, new cylinder bored out to your liking with pistons n rings. just need a core. You may have additional issues if you warped the head.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He'll want to check the cylinder walls for aluminum fragments. Sometimes small ones can be chipped off with a razor blade, or a bit of muriatic acid and then the cylinder honed. Often not and it will need to be bored with oversized pistons. The 65U has steel cylinders and are not nearly as resilient as the 66V power valve motor, which are Nikasil coated from the factory.

Really should also check for aluminum fragments in the crank, but given the piston did not break up, crank is probably okay. If you do end up getting into the bottom end, use sealant around the crank seals--the 65U is known for blowing crank seals.

If it's been more than 2-3 years, a good time to rebuild the carbs with genuine Mikuni kits. The SBT kits used to leak--not sure if they have corrected that.

Blah, blah... I can go on and on. Trying to forget my 2-stroke knowledge.

-Greg

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the crank will be fine since there was not a lot of scoring. Fullbore will provide the whole kit and use my cylinders (honed) which is what I want. I will not use SBT for these engine components....

@boudin - definitely understand what you mean about genuine Mikuni carb kits. I learned the hard way when I started with SBT and had a leak the season after. Redid the carbs with Mikuni and all has been good.

Once I get started, you can bet I will be back @Speedling , @boudin , @Yamatuf. Thank you!

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you are on top of it @4x15mph!

I always thought it would be fun to do a 4-stroke MR1 conversion of an LS2000. I have done five Yamaha SUV MR1 conversions... it should be pretty much the same just 2x (the stock SUVs use 65U motors). Once you move the motor mounts, it's pretty straight forward. This is from last year, but I've done three since then: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260189

-Greg

Last edited:

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I agree with the Makuni carb kits only.
I replaced my 701 superjet cylinder with an exchange unit from SBT with specific bore size( I had a crack/waterleak just below the piston line) . I had no problems to date - 2 years old.

Converting my LS2000 to a 4stroke has got my attention @boudin. Has anyone done this to a LS2000?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like you are on top of it @4x15mph!

I always thought it would be fun to do a 4-stroke MR1 conversion of an LS2000. I have done five Yamaha SUV MR1 conversions... it should be pretty much the same just 2x (the stock SUVs use 65U motors). Once you move the motor mounts, it's pretty straight forward. This is from last year, but I've done three since then: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260189

-Greg
Been done in an exciter. Be easier with the extra space in an ls/lx/ar

But I don’t know why anyone would want to give up the simplicity and great smell of the two strokes. ;)

0612A780-6397-40F2-9694-AA2CFF243A55.jpeg

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the thread here. Impressive.
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=231543

He even used the pre-2010 VX bearing housings. There must have been fiberglass work involved. If you use the 2010+ VX pump setup, it's a bolt on, except for moving the motor mounts. I say that, but don't know the driveshaft length on the LS--would need to know that first.

He also did a nice job on the fuel tank.

-Greg

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
He did a nice job but it’s a lot of work and money to save a little gas and go slower...

If I was going through the trouble of a swap it’d be something a little moar exciting.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
E1B3DE7A-48CD-474B-BD10-6B316B8F1184.jpeg CD126419-383A-4D78-A2D1-65B3AC3219F8.jpeg I got the pistons off using a makeshift puller

I also pullled the impeller liner and it was in bad shape. My boat is going to be so much faster with a new top end and impeller liner. I learned a lot today and had fun doing it.